• 7(current)
H.264 in MP4 containers (inc. Nero Digital MPEG-4 AVC)
thats' a pitty Sad hopefully they'll implement it soon...
same:

according to the last "official" comment in this thread they aren't going to port until 1.0.0 final is out....which isn't supposed to come out till years end.

that is a really long time though so heres hoping they will change their minds and port before mplayer reaches final.
(pre1014 @ june 13 2005,05:02 Wrote:same:

according to the last "official" comment in this thread they aren't going to port until 1.0.0 final is out....which isn't supposed to come out till years end.

that is a really long time though so heres hoping they will change their minds and port before mplayer reaches final.
no they said they may update ffmpeg which is what does the decoding.
just wondering if i can play these movies on xbmc i have the latest version and its not working for me. im streaming from my mac on a smb share. all my other videos work its just the ones that are encoded with this codec freeze up xbmc

thanks
recompile xbox mplayer with the mplayer v1.0pre7 codecs

see my howto
Exclamation 
suggestion to xbmc developers; i hope that sooner or later the latest ffmpeg changes/updates (with better h264/avc support) will be implemented into xbmc cvs and after it is these two separate patches/features might also be of interest to xbmc:

- [ffmpeg-devel] [patch] fast h264 decoding (reimar döffinger) (this enables -lavdopts fast in mplayer, but we should only use it on h264/avc at first in xbmc)
(maybe later this feature could be expanded to also be auto-enabled on all resolutions higher than 720x576 and thus offer smoother playback for all hdtv video)

- [mplayer-dev-eng] [patch] libavcodec skip decoding options (reimar döffinger) (patch has many features but only "skiploopfilter" seems interesting here for us)

both patches enables smoother playback of h264/avc on the limited (cpu/ram) resourses of the xbox, (at the expense of a small quality loss that's worth paying).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Exclamation 
(gamester17 @ july 25 2005,10:20 Wrote:suggestion to xbmc developers; i hope that sooner or later the latest ffmpeg changes/updates (with better h264/avc support) will be implemented into xbmc cvs and after it is these two separate patches/features might also be of interest to xbmc:

- [ffmpeg-devel] [patch] fast h264 decoding (reimar döffinger) (this enables -lavdopts fast in mplayer, but we should only use it on h264/avc at first in xbmc)
(maybe later this feature could be expanded to also be auto-enabled on all resolutions higher than 720x576 and thus offer smoother playback for all hdtv video)

- [mplayer-dev-eng] [patch] libavcodec skip decoding options (reimar döffinger) (patch has many features but only "skiploopfilter" seems interesting here for us)

both patches enables smoother playback of h264/avc on the limited (cpu/ram) resourses of the xbox, (at the expense of a small quality loss that's worth paying).
@programmers, fyi; ffmpeg devs discovered a h.264 feature their decoder don't support yet, disabling that should speedup h264/avc playback:
http://mplayerhq.hu/piperma....ml#3660 "[ffmpeg-devel] h264 and slices (draw_horiz_band)... rich felker" (which code is still being worked on).

ps! though it's off-topic here i thought i should also mention that very latest matroska-demuxer in mplayer cvs supports h264/avc in mkv files.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
as far as i understand mplayer's avc decoding capabilities is based on x264's. unfortunately x264 is not able to encode/decode interlaced avc streams. the few tests i have done seem to confirm that. is there another way to have interlaced avc streams decoded in xbmc?
(billou2k @ oct. 05 2005,16:26 Wrote:is there another way to have interlaced avc streams decoded in xbmc?
no, so does mplayer so does xbmc (mplayer is xbmc's video-player), and in the case of avc (h.264) so does ffmpeg so does mplayer (mplayer uses ffmpeg to decode avc)

ps! read this (link), ...though any questions regarding h.264 encoding (not decoding) should be addressed to the x264-devel mailing-list, (and not to ffmpeg/mplayer)
it appears that the h264 support has become better since the last mplayer update. i encoded a nero digital avc sample, from an excellent source (1080i hd-stream), with more encoding options enabled than i was allowed before.

you can find the sample (36mb) here.

movie name: secondhand lions (2003)
source: high definition stream (1080i)

codec: nero digital (avc/h.264)
average video bitrate: 1.00mbps
audio: 5.1-channel surround (lc-320kbit/sec avg)
video resolution: 672x384 (square pixel)

rate control: high quality encoding (2-pass)

(general settings)
decision quality: high quality (maximum)
maximum vector range: -512 to 511.75
maximum reference frames: 8
maximum gop size: 300
maximum b-frames: 2

(encoding tools)
cabac: no
bidirectional prediction: yes
macroblock partitions: no
weighted prediction: yes
deblocking: yes (-6)

(visual enhancements)
source material: chroma optimization
psycho-visual enhancements: low

please let me know what you think of the quality of the sample.  Smile
rabomil, can you briefly describe the software and technique you used to create this encode?

thanks

jt
(jthunder @ oct. 27 2005,00:56 Wrote:rabomil, can you briefly describe the software and technique you used to create this encode?

thanks

jt
- i used video redo to correct the audio/video sync issues that always occur when you use a hd-stream in nero digital.
- i used the 'maximum definition - avc' profile in nero digital..
- the settings i used in nero digital are in my earlier post.

i'm a little confused about this codec's status so please bear with me. is this faster ffmpeg implementation something that has already been added to the cvs?
if not is it something that can be added manually or does it need to be compiled for the xbox?

thanks! i'm seeing more and more h.264 content online and would love to be able to play it at full speed.

-ast
(asteron @ nov. 03 2005,06:17 Wrote:i'm a little confused about this codec's status so please bear with me.  is this faster ffmpeg implementation something that has already been added to the cvs?  
if not is it something that can be added manually or does it need to be compiled for the xbox?

thanks! i'm seeing more and more h.264 content online and would love to be able to play it at full speed.

-ast
cvs without additions.
ahh ok i found it Smile i didn't realize it was only the dvdplayer ffmpeg that got updated. i was wondering why i wasnt seeing it in mplayer.

thanks!
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
H.264 in MP4 containers (inc. Nero Digital MPEG-4 AVC)0