• 8(current)
Solved Update FFMPEG To Support ATSC Closed Captions
@FernetMenta - i can confirm that the subs appear after 8 seconds when switching between cc1 and cc2 - so far so good.

There is still the issue with the external sub somehow stealing the place of the cc sub.
1. open testfile 1191_*.mpg
2. select cc1
3. download external sub (just search for the.big.bang.theory.s02e01 and select the first german sub)
4. You see the german sub.
5. Try to switch back to the cc1 - nothing happens - the german sub stays activated
6. Stop playback
7. Start playback -> now only the external sub is selectable.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2015-01-04, 19:00)emveepee Wrote: - 608 subtitles don't work.
- 708 subtitles always show at the bottom of the screen
- scrolling subtitles seem ok, it's jerky compared to what I am used to (I think it feeds one character at a time)
- multiline (but not scrolling) subtitles only display the last line
Re: the above,
-608 captions, I have looked at several dozen broadcasts and recordings so far and - of the instances where this enhancement has not displayed captions, only one was because the only captions were 608. That case was a movie from the late 1950's on a secondary subchannel. Whilemy testing is far from exhaustive, media with only 608 captions is relatively rare in my market and likely getting rarer. If other markets are similar, this raises a question whether development effort to enable 608 captions is warranted;
- It would be nice of the captions would display in the positions that they are apparently encoded to display. For instance, sometimes the captions display adjacent to the character who is speaking, which is helpful. I suspect this is a more an issue of the way Kodi handles subtitles generally, though, isn't it?
- scrolling subtitles: rather that rendering from a fixed position from left to right, they rendering outward in both directions from the centre, to the current line is a bit of a moving target. Is this what you are referring to? I think they would be more readable if they rendered from a fixed position from left to right.
- "multiline (but not scrolling) subtitles only display the last line". I have not seen this. Perhaps it is yet another particular format.
Quote:It might be ascii only ie.
- italics don't show display;
- musical notes don't display.
I see this too.

In terms of the big picture, addressing the above issues would be desirable, but what has been done already is a huge improvement and, I am sure, will provide a significant benefit to many users.
(2015-01-05, 00:44)allan87 Wrote: Re: the above,
-608 captions, I have looked at several dozen broadcasts and recordings so far and - of the instances where this enhancement has not displayed captions, only one was because the only captions were 608. That case was a movie from the late 1950's on a secondary subchannel. Whilemy testing is far from exhaustive, media with only 608 captions is relatively rare in my market and likely getting rarer. If other markets are similar, this raises a question whether development effort to enable 608 captions is warranted;

I was wondering about if it was a 608 issue since I don't think it is necessary to support the analog captures, and I am not talking VBI subtitles, they are muxed in with the mpeg2. Here in Eastern Ontario none of the french channels work with cc's and I assume that is because the CC track is 608 SD ATSC Global has the same problem with just one stream.

Code:
Text
ID                                       : 65 (0x41)-CC1
Menu ID                                  : 2 (0x2)
Format                                   : EIA-608
Muxing mode                              : A/53 / DTVCC Transport
Muxing mode, more info                   : Muxed in Video #1
Duration                                 : 22s 422ms
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Stream size                              : 0.00 Byte (0%)

Quote:- It would be nice of the captions would display in the positions that they are apparently encoded to display. For instance, sometimes the captions display adjacent to the character who is speaking, which is helpful. I suspect this is a more an issue of the way Kodi handles subtitles generally, though, isn't it?

I agree it probably is just Kodi, however yesterday's NFL football game was unreadable because the subtitles were over the fixed scoreboard most of the time.

Quote:- scrolling subtitles: rather that rendering from a fixed position from left to right, they rendering outward in both directions from the centre, to the current line is a bit of a moving target. Is this what you are referring to? I think they would be more readable f they rendered from a fixed position from left to right.

Yes I was running side by side with proper decoding of the same channel and normal ticker style is much easier to read.

Quote:- "multiline (but not scrolling) subtitles only display the last line". I have not seen this. Perhaps it is yet another particular format.

Hmm, I see it on every channel that displays, when scrolling is working the adds might just display the one trailing line.

Martin
I am posting to bump this idea again. especially since this ticket seems to indicate it will be in Kodi-15 http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/15523
The discussion right now is on the CC support available currently in the nightlies.

Martin
(2015-01-05, 02:25)emveepee Wrote:
Quote:- "multiline (but not scrolling) subtitles only display the last line". I have not seen this. Perhaps it is yet another particular format.

Hmm, I see it on every channel that displays, when scrolling is working the adds might just display the one trailing line.

Martin

Would you have a sample for this style?

The current implementation just extracts the text from the various windows and the subs are handles as text-only. In order to get this nice, one has to encode this into SSA format but this is work for another day. Maybe someone of the community want to take this job.
(2015-01-05, 10:13)FernetMenta Wrote: Would you have a sample for this style?

Sure, here you go. http://d-h.st/eb38

Martin
(2015-01-05, 14:24)emveepee Wrote:
(2015-01-05, 10:13)FernetMenta Wrote: Would you have a sample for this style?

Sure, here you go. http://d-h.st/eb38

Martin

This link only offers me to download an *.exe? Am I doing something wrong? If not, could you share it somewhere I don't need to download an exe?

EDIT: got it, there are two download buttons
Sorry it's a fast site for sharing but works best with ad-blocking.

Martin
@emveepee the non scrolling cc should be fixed by https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/6105

regarding the 608 cc. Are those on field 1 or 2? Would you have a sample for this?
(2015-01-05, 02:25)emveepee Wrote:
Martin
I am in Ontario, as you are, and would have similar broadcasts, so it is interesting that my experience is different. Maybe there is something different in your environment that accounts for your different experience? I have tested with nightlies on Mac OS X and the Milhouse OpenELEC testbuilds for Raspberry Pi;OTA broadcasts;MythTV 0.27.4; HDHomerun tuner.

BTW, the problem you had watching the NFL game can be alleviated by the preferences in VideoConfusedubtitles that allow you to manually adjust the size, font, colour and location of subtitles.
(2015-01-05, 18:43)FernetMenta Wrote: @emveepee the non scrolling cc should be fixed by https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/6105

regarding the 608 cc. Are those on field 1 or 2? Would you have a sample for this?

The 608 on this one that doesn't show http://d-h.st/aLBZ is

Code:
Text #1
ID                                       : 49 (0x31)-CC1
Menu ID                                  : 3 (0x3)
Duration                                 : 25s 792ms

Text #2
ID                                       : 49 (0x31)-1
Format                                   : EIA-708

Text #3
ID                                       : 49 (0x31)-2
Format                                   : EIA-708

On this one http://d-h.st/0rt it is just

Code:
Text
ID                                       : 65 (0x41)-CC1
Menu ID                                  : 2 (0x2)
Duration                                 : 31s 832ms

Martin
(2015-01-05, 18:43)FernetMenta Wrote: @emveepee the non scrolling cc should be fixed by https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/6105

Yes great thanks, just finished a build and multiline cc works fine now.

Martin
Martin, http://d-h.st/aLBZ has 2 708 and 1 608. Is the language of the 608 different to the ones in 708?
(2015-01-06, 10:31)FernetMenta Wrote: Martin, http://d-h.st/aLBZ has 2 708 and 1 608. Is the language of the 608 different to the ones in 708?

I've tried choosing a separate track but only the one french track displays using any of the tools I have. Using ccextractor to debug the stream I can only see the 708 instructions not text and it won't create any srt for the other.

Martin
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Update FFMPEG To Support ATSC Closed Captions2