• 9(current)
Android HiMedia H8 Octa & Zidoo X6 Pro: Comparative Review (RK3368 / 3D / HD Audio)
But this actually say that "Maybe I'm passing judgment too quickly, but maybe Zidoo should focus on their AML S905 product instead" that is not fair for the existing customers with a product that is new and have problems.

If they also should abandon the Q5 after 6months then all the Q5 customers also had a product that where full of problems, they still have problems with the Q5 but now mainly for the customers that need stable subtitles (very few countries talk english natively).

It´s hard to prove wrong if they stop the focus just to move focus to promote an other product and no it´s not about the grades on the X6 or H8 and most people buying them have not even seen the review but future reviews can bee seen different if reviewers say stop focus, come with the new products.

If they also have problems with the AML S905 should they also dump the customers after 6 months ?

In that way compagnies are told that it´s okay to promote and sell useless products just to get money fast and then ignore fixing problems and customers.

You see it´s a bad circle to get in to, one that only give bad karma for everybody, just as bad as the compagnies that are GPL violators which is wrong to.
I agree. I'm not saying dump anyone. At the same time, you should be aware of Rockchip's history, and that there are going to some issues on media players that never get resolved. Unfortunately, it's just the way it is. Having said that, HiMedia Q5 is about as good as one can expect for a 3D Kodi player w/proper 23.976 and HD audio. Same goes for RPi2. Can't say that for any other 3D Android players... yet.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
It´s importent you understand that it´s not about my crappy H8, it´s about the ordinary family arround the world that need a mediaplayer and have small knowledge about what the different chip brands and there history, they have to be able to trust the compagnies and that there products can do at least the minimum that is needed.

There are also many customers that are less lucky talking money as other and then 100$ are a lot of money but they are just as importent customers as any other and they also need to be able to trust compagnies.

It´s all about moral and trust, thats why reviewers have to be on the customers page and not the compagnies page, if not only as they can be sure that the review is a review and not a paid ad, when you go out and ask what users would like to have in the upcomming Himedia box and do it for Himedia you are very close to the border where it might be best to say no I´m a product reviewer and not a Himedia sales employee, Himedia should be here them self asking that.

For me I where on a new market, my last box where a WD Tv live Gen3 and knew nothing about android boxes, I made one big error trusting Simon from Futeko and got a crappy box, I´m one of the lucky people that don´t have to work more the 1 1/2 hour to pay the box (some have to work a week or two) thats why I say as I say and belive that reviwers should do the same so everybody can be in the circle with trust.

About 3D players I think that there are no good solution right now, sure the Q5 have a good picture and play most Iso and Mvc and Rpi2 the same but again they have there problems also 2D subs on 3D movie very anoying when you have subs on from start to end, if the Wetec Core can play 3Dmvc with the patch then it will be a fine temporary box for me, I dont like the idea with the wrapper that is used on the Q5, if Himedia stop firmware upgrades with the new Kodi upgrades then all Q5 customers are in a bad position.

In a perfect world there should be a 3D player where all licences that are needed are paid som we can get fully working boxes, it may cost but I would love to pay the extra money and know that many other would do the same but I don´t know any boxes that realy do work as a simple and fully working box without wrappers, triks and so on.
The "the ordinary family around the world" isn't going to buy these boxes, or shouldn't be. Maybe a Fire TV, Roku or whatever. If people succumb to marketing hype, then they do. Re: reviewers, I can only say I've been very upfront in my reviews as I'm a Kodi and home theater enthusiast myself. I don't write superficial, glowing reviews about boxes just cuz manufacturers sent them to me. I leave that job to the likes of mulderfox, who was basically spamming here w/superficial reviews. I try my best to tell it like it is. I make mistakes, and smart people here, especially devs or other seasoned enthusiasts correct me, and I learn and apply that knowledge going forward, which is pretty awesome.

Re: Q5 issues you noted, yes there are still some issues with it... and every other damn box on the market. You just need to pick the best box(es) that suit your needs, and with issues you can live with. We all want that elusive, do-it-all perfect box... but, it does not yet exist. Not for 3D anyway... for 2D, yes: grab a nVidia Shield (if you need 4K) or a Chromebox (if you don't). Or, a WeTek Core, which is the best in-between box. Even then, there are colorspace issues w/Shield and Chromebox doesn't do Netflix and other premium streaming content.
My HT
hdmkv, keep cutting thru the hype and bullshit and continue telling it like it is with these media players.

Kilroy, you will notice I have started pushing very hard lately on GPL2 Kodi source code (and Kernel) compliance from sellers and will have one major company under the targeting scope regarding this matter in 2016.

This GPL2 source code sharing demonstrates the trust you should place in companies products. Openness, peer review and collaborative coding produces a far better end product than shutting up shop and not sharing anything. The Kodi and RPi projects themselves are a shining beacons of what can be produced with a collaborative community effort.

You will also notice I have gone in very hard on Cheap Asian Android manufacturers pumping out Alpha Firmware devices with bullshit marketing promises and fooling Joe Public into parting with their hard earned cash. It seems you are one of their Victims unfortunately along with a whole bunch of others. Just stop buying this sort of shit would be my suggestion to people.

This marketing hype and outright lying, seems to be a very common business practice for media players coming out of Asia and is why in my Sticky "Pick the Right Kodi Box" thread I'm dead against potential purchasers choosing most sellers from Asia at all. Nearly all of them use deceptive marketing, stolen code and give nothing back to the Kodi project itself. I Trust none of them.

Warning to all potential purchasers - stay away from Rockhip devices period for Kodi use !

(2015-12-31, 03:56)hdmkv Wrote: The "the ordinary family around the world" isn't going to buy these boxes, or shouldn't be. Maybe a Fire TV, Roku or whatever. If people succumb to marketing hype, then they do. Re: reviewers, I can only say I've been very upfront in my reviews as I'm a Kodi and home theater enthusiast myself. I don't write superficial, glowing reviews about boxes just cuz manufacturers sent them to me. I leave that job to the likes of mulderfox, who was basically spamming here w/superficial reviews. I try my best to tell it like it is. I make mistakes, and smart people here, especially devs or other seasoned enthusiasts correct me, and I learn and apply that knowledge going forward, which is pretty awesome.

Re: Q5 issues you noted, yes there are still some issues with it... and every other damn box on the market. You just need to pick the best box(es) that suit your needs, and with issues you can live with. We all want that elusive, do-it-all perfect box... but, it does not yet exist. Not for 3D anyway... for 2D, yes: grab a nVidia Shield (if you need 4K) or a Chromebox (if you don't). Or, a WeTek Core, which is the best in-between box. Even then, there are colorspace issues w/Shield and Chromebox doesn't do Netflix and other premium streaming content.

First I don´t mistrust you or your reviews, you know from earlier that I think you do a hell of a job reviewing, you have to remember that.

The other part I can´t agree about, the only reason the situation is as it is are the compagnies are allowed to do it and even are getting a small "please put your focus on the new chip", that is the same as saying, it´s okay selling products that don´t work and never will work so ignore all that have bought one of your boxes and sell the new to some other fools and when there are no more fools to sell to then they just change there brand name and start over again, the evil circle again, it´s the same as saying to Levis that it´s okay to sell jeans missing one leg but that would never happen.

About who that buy these boxes you are wrong, maybe not in US but the world outside US are way bigger and have lots more customers and that is the avrage joe or family that buy.

A big brand like Kodi (even if it´s free) can have a lot to say and the users, they can put a lot of pressure on those dodgy compagnies with no moral and only want to take there money, urgin them to come with new products is no go before the have products that can what the claim they can.
(2015-12-31, 03:57)wrxtasy Wrote: hdmkv, keep cutting thru the hype and bullshit and continue telling it like it is with these media players.

Kilroy, you will notice I have started pushing very hard lately on GPL2 Kodi source code (and Kernel) compliance from sellers and will have one major company under the targeting scope regarding this matter in 2016.

This GPL2 source code sharing demonstrates the trust you should place in companies products. Openness, peer review and collaborative coding produces a far better end product than shutting up shop and not sharing anything. The Kodi and RPi projects themselves are a shining beacons of what can be produced with a collaborative community effort.

You will also notice I have gone in very hard on Cheap Asian Android manufacturers pumping out Alpha Firmware devices with bullshit marketing promises and fooling Joe Public into parting with their hard earned cash. It seems you are one of their Victims unfortunately along with a whole bunch of others. Just stop buying this sort of shit would be my suggestion to people.

This marketing hype and outright lying, seems to be a very common business practice for media players coming out of Asia and is why in my Sticky "Pick the Right Kodi Box" thread I'm dead against potential purchasers choosing most sellers from Asia at all. Nearly all of them use deceptive marketing, stolen code and give nothing back to the Kodi project itself. I Trust none of them.

Warning to all potential purchasers - stay away from Rockhip devices period for Kodi use !

I have noticed that and you know I´m all in at that point and say what I think about that (spam review guy) and yes about the part that I´m one of them that have been fooled like a huge amount of people.

When it´s about moral and princip many people ignore and buy new but for me princip is something worth fighting for, in my case Futeko/Simon that sold the box using false ad and telling me it´s a fully working box, he will find out that I will go all the way ASA, Ombudsman, even cort if nessesary, this have to stop !! not only for me but for any customers now and in the future.

He even lies in his forum, he claim he made me an offer to get the problem fixed but that is not the truth, I contacted him and gave a sugention how we could solve the problem, I even offered him some of money to the return cost and buy a Q5.

When I read the tread with his post on Futekos forum and the lie where there then I thought enough is enough, I made a reply with the truth it got deleted and I where banned, how dumb is that, I can get in to his forum when ever I want and make treads.

Some think money is more importent the princip and morale but they will always loose in the long picture if people say enough!
WOW!!!!
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
@Kilroy, I feel your frustration... many of us have been there, done that with media players and false promises. This stuff is unfortunately more rampant than ever, especially with Android media players. Best to wait for reviews and/or real user feedback, and as several have said, buy based on what products can do upon release, not on what manufacturers promise to deliver later. Unless it's a big name like nVidia, many promises never get fulfilled... many of these Chinese manufacturers just move on to the next product and repeat the same marketing bullshit. There are no morals or principles with these guys.

As for Simon@futeko, I think he's pretty a stand-up reseller. He's providing support where manufacturers themselves fall short, and even refused to stock some products. For example, he asked Venz to send me their V8 TLBB box recently so I could verify if it did 3D and HD audio as he had suspicions. Box didn't deliver and he didn't sell it. I don't know the situation behind Simon banning you from Futeko forum, but I'll let him respond to that himself.
Quote:Some think money is more importent the princip and morale but they will always loose in the long picture if people say enough!
Agree on this point Smile.
My HT
Wow thanks for making such a well done post. I was literally moments from buying a H8 when i read this. Thanks for saving me some money!!!
Both these boxes may turn out to be decent options w/further firmware development, but based on progress to date & Rockchip lacking, it's kinda hard to imagine.
My HT
Hello , has anyone tested the new firmware 1.0.9 for the himedia h8?
Thanks for the heads up; traveling, so can't test until Friday.
My HT
(2016-01-12, 17:45)hdmkv Wrote: Thanks for the heads up; traveling, so can't test until Friday.

A whole week without 3DSad
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2016-01-12, 17:45)hdmkv Wrote: Thanks for the heads up; traveling, so can't test until Friday.

Thanks hdmkv
Maybe now has 2D mkv 23,976 and better HD audio Smile
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HiMedia H8 Octa & Zidoo X6 Pro: Comparative Review (RK3368 / 3D / HD Audio)3