• 42(current)
Asus Chromebox announcement
(2014-06-10, 04:23)DocG Wrote: Was referring to the i3 model of the Asus Chromebox, which would cost me all up around A$560 with 4GB RAM and 128GB HDD. I can get the Intel NUC i5 with the same specs for around A$580 (the i3 model for around $480).

ah, I agree the i3 version is a much poorer value, relatively. I have both the celeron and i3 versions here at the moment, and there's zero difference between the two in OpenELEC for anything I've tested so far.
Yeah, I might still get the Celeron version. Would be around A$220 on ebay (nobody else seems to ship it to Australia, and yes, that's for the US version). As a comparison, RRP for that version in Australia is A$299. Well, supposedly, the shops here who have these in stock all seem to sell for A$339. Go figure!
I can't for the life of me get my mce receiver to work. It's the old school receiver that came with the media center remote made by microsoft. I've always used it with xbmc to send keyboard commands with my harmony remotes. Any suggestions?
(2014-06-10, 07:16)esoteradactyl Wrote: I can't for the life of me get my mce receiver to work. It's the old school receiver that came with the media center remote made by microsoft. I've always used it with xbmc to send keyboard commands with my harmony remotes. Any suggestions?

1) what OS are you running?
2) dual boot or standalone setup?
3) what model is the IR receiver?
4) what was the previous setup which worked? 'XBMC' isn't an answer here, as XBMC depends on the underlying OS to provide peripheral support
Have anyone tried Netflix on these models?
I'm especially interested if it can handle superhd and 5.1 surround.
(2014-06-10, 09:00)Bjur Wrote: Have anyone tried Netflix on these models?

Works fine under ChromeOS, 5.1 etc. SuperHD only available on the i3 model as the celeron one doesn't support it
(2014-06-10, 08:41)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-06-10, 07:16)esoteradactyl Wrote: I can't for the life of me get my mce receiver to work. It's the old school receiver that came with the media center remote made by microsoft. I've always used it with xbmc to send keyboard commands with my harmony remotes. Any suggestions?

1) what OS are you running?
4) what was the previous setup which worked? 'XBMC' isn't an answer here, as XBMC depends on the underlying OS to provide peripheral support

1. Openelec
2. Dual
3. Microsoft Model:1040

As for the setup that worked, it was a windows machine. I mentioned it worked previously because it was my understanding that not all receivers are created equal, and one's that receive all keyboard emulated remote commands were recommended for use with this device. Sorry, my previous post was a bit vague..
(2014-06-10, 09:16)esoteradactyl Wrote:
(2014-06-10, 08:41)Matt Devo Wrote: 1) what OS are you running?

1. Openelec
2. Dual
3. Microsoft Model:1040

As for the setup that worked, it was a windows machine. I mentioned it worked previously because it was my understanding that not all receivers are created equal, and one's that receive all keyboard emulated remote commands were recommended for use with this device. Sorry, my previous post was a bit vague..

You should have your harmony remote set up as a MS 1040, but you should *not* have the XBMC option for 'remote sends keyboard presses' selected. This is the exact setup I use on my main OE machine, and will verify with the Chromebox tomorrow.
(2014-06-10, 09:14)Matt Devo Wrote:

Works fine under ChromeOS, 5.1 etc. SuperHD only available on the i3 model as the celeron one doesn't support it

Thanks for the quick reply.
But damn what a shame. I was counting on the Celeron model with dual bootSad

And question 2: Couldn't you just install Windows 8 and have Netflix HD + surround?
(2014-06-10, 09:14)Matt Devo Wrote:

Do you know whether you can use Hola, under ChromeOS, to unlock Netflix from other regions?
(2014-06-05, 04:08)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-06-04, 21:19)deathtical Wrote:
(2014-06-03, 20:49)Matt Devo Wrote: Easiest solution is probably to just do a factory reset and then re-install using the latest version of the script

This is a dual boot with OpenELEC. I used the directions from the wiki to do it. The weird thing is, that switching between Chrome and OE worked for a few days and then it just started doing this. OE still works fine but still cannot get into Chrome. As mentioned before, it started happening prior to the release of OE 4.0.1 which I am currently running. Thanks

back up your OE/XBMC settings using the OE settings add-on, copy to USB, factory reset, reload OE dual boot, restore settings.

Well... seems to have worked. The only thing I would recommend would be a few more delay options. Right now there is a 1 sec and 30 sec option and it would be nice to have a 10 or 15 sec option. Just something in the middle. Also, it would be kinda nice if an option could be added to OpenELEC/XBMC to reboot to Chrome. Since the box defaults to booting to OpenELEC such an option isn't need to go from Chrome to OpenELEC. But an option in the restart menu to reboot XBMC and have it automatically select Chrome on boot would be cool. I'm not a Linux guy or a programmer so I don't know what is involved with creating such an option but considering what you guys have done so far I imagine this would be a cake walk for you guys. Thanks again for the help and I love this project.
(2014-06-10, 09:42)Bjur Wrote: Thanks for the quick reply.
But damn what a shame. I was counting on the Celeron model with dual bootSad

And question 2: Couldn't you just install Windows 8 and have Netflix HD + surround?

I'm not sure I understand. SuperHD (2160p aka 4K) output is a limitation of the GPU, which in the celeron is an Intel HD 4000. The i3/i7 CB have the HD4400, which is needed for 2160p output. The OS is irrelevant.

(2014-06-10, 14:35)elsmandino Wrote: Do you know whether you can use Hola, under ChromeOS, to unlock Netflix from other regions?

dunno, never heard of it, and living in the US, have never needed it.
Thanks for the answer Matt.
With Super HD i just mean 1080p not 4K, but it supports that, so it's just 5.1 that's missing?

Offtopic: On a side note I saw someone mentions that all devices with displayport can use 4K, but 4K is not important to me. Only 1080p + 5.1 surround
(2014-06-09, 19:21)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-06-09, 18:51)Mazza Wrote: Hi Matt,

I'm quite new to the whole XBMC scene and the Asus Chromebox has caught my attention recently for my first XBMC box.

Does this device has HDMI-CEC support?
- Will this adapter work with just a simple plug and play?
What's the best way to power on (cold boot) the device via remote?
Does this support HD audio playback?

Cheers,
Mazza

I'm not sure anyone has tested that HDMI-CEC adapter, but if it does work, that would be the only way I know of to power on from cold boot.

HD audio works 100% without qualifications.

Not to beat a dead horse, but as far as I can tell, HD Audio does not work in Windows on the Celeron version.
(2014-06-10, 16:43)Eagle784 Wrote: Not to beat a dead horse, but as far as I can tell, HD Audio does not work in Windows on the Celeron version.

Unfortunately I don't have a receiver with HDMI, let alone HD audio, so not something I can check or troubleshoot
  • 42(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asus Chromebox announcement8