• 162(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2014-12-15, 14:53)fritsch Wrote: It's quite hard to answer. In fact, when we use the vaPutSurface path a Full RGB conversion is done, we can "hint" 701 or 601 color format, which we do. Kodi does not touch this data anymore, as we use the VAAPi Upload to display those.
The OS driver then does the conversion back to "limited range".

We know, that this sucks like hell - and as we both, Fernetmenta and me are running VAAPI at home (Fernet in full RGB) and me (with a clamping AVR) with OS set to limited, really want to solve that by moving towards EGL, but this is not that easy, cause we don't have a Reference Clock for now, though the newly developed DRM Reference Clock could work.

Yeah, there is nothing we can "talk correct" or something - it's just fucked up as is. And the EGL codepath for vaapi is not even yet in the stable vaapi drivers, bleeding edge - nobody cared (on vendor side) for a much too long time.

Thanks for all the information, Fritsch. Rest assured that you aren't the only guys who care about this sort of thing, and that all of your efforts are very much appreciated by us end users - whether we know all the hard work and hair-pulling that went into the end result, or not! :-)

I'm looking forward to trying out the fixed VAAPI on the next OE release. Should be soon, right?
My chromebox should be arriving shortly. Can I take out the write protect screw as soon as unboxing, or do I need to turn it on first, put it in dev mode then remove write protect screw?
(2014-12-15, 20:05)jsp1 Wrote: I'm sure there is a knowledge or language barrier here somewhere, but I'm more confused than ever about VAAPI and how to deal with it to achieve best picture results.

Here is my situation:

1) I do not need deinterlacing as far as I'm aware (no "i" content)
2) I had perfect greyscale ramp before this improvement with VAAPI
3) I had to significantly change my settings to get almost (but not) perfect ramp after installing the test compile with VAAPI fix

So, since no interlaced content to deal with, should I just disable VAAPI altogether? Is there a significant performance hit, one that may hinder high quality content such as 30Mbps+ 1080p from disabling VAAPI?

Lastly, how do I ensure I do not use MCDI, MADI or VAAPI-BOB ? Is this inherent in disabling VAAPI?

Frankly, I was having almost no freeze ups before, so I'm thinking just roll back and go with my previous setup. However, once VAAPI fix goes mainline and options change, I want to know what to do.

with OE 5.x (including beta/RC), you would disable the 'Prefer VAAPI Renderer' option under System/Video/Acceleration (which is the inverse of 'Use SW Filter' in OE 4.x). The deinterlacing options aren't a factor if you're not watching interlaced content

(2014-12-15, 21:38)Arse4life Wrote: My chromebox should be arriving shortly. Can I take out the write protect screw as soon as unboxing, or do I need to turn it on first, put it in dev mode then remove write protect screw?

immediately is fine, that's what I do for all the boxes I set up
Well, it seems all's not peachy in Chromebox world here. I've been home the last few days recuperating from some minor surgery, so have had time to set it up & play with it. Today I set it into PartyMode to play my music all day from my NAS (FLAC or high BR mp3s), and am hearing a lot of dropouts in many of the songs (most of which I ripped myself) I went into Audio setting & changed Optimized from High to Medium, but that didn't seem to help any. I've never seen this with any of my Windoze boxes, WDLive, or my Tronsmart S-89-H Android box.Any suggestions on what to do/look for?
Nvidia ShieldTV (2017)+Nexus
(2014-12-15, 23:16)christoofar Wrote: Well, it seems all's not peachy in Chromebox world here. I've been home the last few days recuperating from some minor surgery, so have had time to set it up & play with it. Today I set it into PartyMode to play my music all day from my NAS (FLAC or high BR mp3s), and am hearing a lot of dropouts in many of the songs (most of which I ripped myself) I went into Audio setting & changed Optimized from High to Medium, but that didn't seem to help any. I've never seen this with any of my Windoze boxes, WDLive, or my Tronsmart S-89-H Android box.Any suggestions on what to do/look for?

Are you using a wireless connection? It sounds like network dropouts to me. I listen to high res FLAC all the time over the network (ethernet) without incident.
(2014-12-16, 00:33)jsp1 Wrote:
(2014-12-15, 23:16)christoofar Wrote: Well, it seems all's not peachy in Chromebox world here. I've been home the last few days recuperating from some minor surgery, so have had time to set it up & play with it. Today I set it into PartyMode to play my music all day from my NAS (FLAC or high BR mp3s), and am hearing a lot of dropouts in many of the songs (most of which I ripped myself) I went into Audio setting & changed Optimized from High to Medium, but that didn't seem to help any. I've never seen this with any of my Windoze boxes, WDLive, or my Tronsmart S-89-H Android box.Any suggestions on what to do/look for?

Are you using a wireless connection? It sounds like network dropouts to me. I listen to high res FLAC all the time over the network (ethernet) without incident.
Nope, ethernet on GBit network. Gosh this is bumming me out...Sad

Also, I'm curious as to why only Confluence is available under Kodi openelec, while Android & PC Helix had quite a few. None of the current skins are compatible yet?
(2014-12-16, 00:52)christoofar Wrote:
(2014-12-16, 00:33)jsp1 Wrote:

Nope, ethernet on GBit network. Gosh this is bumming me out...Sad

Also, I'm curious as to why only Confluence is available under Kodi openelec, while Android & PC Helix had quite a few. None of the current skins are compatible yet?

Well, that's confusing then...the box is plenty powerful enough to handle Flac without any dropouts. Maybe a bad ethernet cable? Skins are available, you need to add the unofficial repository, or install them as .zip files. Does your NAS have plenty of power under the hood?

http://unofficial.addon.pro/
(2014-12-16, 00:52)christoofar Wrote: Nope, ethernet on GBit network. Gosh this is bumming me out...Sad

does the same file exhibit dropouts when played from local (or USB) media? Any errors in the log file? How are you sending audio to your receiver, both physical and format?

Quote:Also, I'm curious as to why only Confluence is available under Kodi openelec, while Android & PC Helix had quite a few. None of the current skins are compatible yet?

wut? on a clean install of OE 5.x, I have 10 skins to choose from
(2014-12-16, 01:16)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-12-16, 00:52)christoofar Wrote: Nope, ethernet on GBit network. Gosh this is bumming me out...Sad

does the same file exhibit dropouts when played from local (or USB) media? Any errors in the log file? How are you sending audio to your receiver, both physical and format?

Quote:Also, I'm curious as to why only Confluence is available under Kodi openelec, while Android & PC Helix had quite a few. None of the current skins are compatible yet?

wut? on a clean install of OE 5.x, I have 10 skins to choose from

NAS is a WD MyBookLiveDuo - 4TB - all switches are GBit, all wire is CAT6. Connection to Pioneer VSX-1120 is HDMI, file formats are either FLAC or high bitrate mp3.
I go to addons/Kodi repository/Skins, there is nothing there...nothing. Same when I try "Get More" under System/Skin setting. Just noticed that the "Hide Incompatible switch was enabled in Skins, Disabled it & all the skins are now listed, but as incompatible. WTH?
(2014-12-16, 01:35)christoofar Wrote: NAS is a WD MyBookLiveDuo - 4TB - all switches are GBit, all wire is CAT6. Connection to Pioneer VSX-1120 is HDMI, file formats are either FLAC or high bitrate mp3.
I go to addons/Kodi repository/Skins, there is nothing there...nothing. Same when I try "Get More" under System/Skin setting

what format (sample rate and bit depth) are the files? Pioneers are notorious for having EDID issues, I wonder if Kodi is being forced to resample rather than passing natively? Or on other systems, you were resampling whereas here you are passing untouched?

Under 'Get more' was where I see the skin options. They are in the main Kodi repository, not any of the unofficial ones
Don't some Pioneer AVRs only accept 48kHz audio, whilst most MP3s and CDs are 44.1kHz. So in that case there will be some resampling going on - but a Chromebox has massively more processing power than is required for that.
(2014-12-16, 01:38)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-12-16, 01:35)christoofar Wrote: NAS is a WD MyBookLiveDuo - 4TB - all switches are GBit, all wire is CAT6. Connection to Pioneer VSX-1120 is HDMI, file formats are either FLAC or high bitrate mp3.
I go to addons/Kodi repository/Skins, there is nothing there...nothing. Same when I try "Get More" under System/Skin setting

what format (sample rate and bit depth) are the files? Pioneers are notorious for having EDID issues, I wonder if Kodi is being forced to resample rather than passing natively? Or on other systems, you were resampling whereas here you are passing untouched?

Under 'Get more' was where I see the skin options. They are in the main Kodi repository, not any of the unofficial ones
All files are 44.1hz/16bit. Have been using XBMC & this same receiver for years now, have never seen this before. Video audio (at least all that I've tested) plays fine.
And yes , under "Get More" is where I went, listed every single one as being incompatible after I disabled "hide incompatible"
Also my OE version is 4.97.25.0 (and I have auto update turned on)
(2014-12-16, 01:48)christoofar Wrote: All files are 44.1hz/16bit. Have been using XBMC & this same receiver for years now, have never seen this before. Video audio (at least all that I've tested) plays fine.
And yes , under "Get More" is where I went, listed every single one as being incompatible after I disabled "hide incompatible"

how about if you set the audio output to 'fixed' and set the sampling rate to either 44.1 or 48Khz? Resample quality should be ok on high.

you might need to force fresh the Kodi add-on repository via the context menu
(2014-12-16, 01:55)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-12-16, 01:48)christoofar Wrote: All files are 44.1hz/16bit. Have been using XBMC & this same receiver for years now, have never seen this before. Video audio (at least all that I've tested) plays fine.

how about if you set the audio output to 'fixed' and set the sampling rate to either 44.1 or 48Khz? Resample quality should be ok on high.

you might need to force fresh the Kodi add-on repository via the context menu
OK, set to "Fixed" @ 48, testing it now.
Nope just heard it dropout again. Tried setting it to Best Match, same issue.

Ah! Refreshed Kodi repository & now I have skins that are compatible! Thanks
(2014-12-16, 02:24)christoofar Wrote: OK, set to "Fixed" @ 48, testing it now.
Nope just heard it dropout again. Tried setting it to Best Match, same issue.

Ah! Refreshed Kodi repository & now I have skins that are compatible! Thanks

what about fixed/44.1, since that's what your files are?
  • 162(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37