• 12(current)
FAQ/info/issues
procrastinator Wrote:Thanks dtviewer, added to first post. Described as "movies contained in folders (e.g. Video_TS) do not display thumbnails/posters in file mode". Hope this accurately describes the problem, if not then please try and summarise in a sentence and I'll replace the point in the first post with your description.

No need to change, that works perfect.
procrastinator Wrote:Video_TS playback will not work if menus are included in addition to video files (thanks neohusky and this thread)

This isn't correct completely:

VIDEO_TS playback with menus will only work on the atv2s internal disc. Only if you want to play them over network, you must remove menues from them.
newsilentsilver Wrote:This isn't correct completely: [...]
Thanks, edited first post.
I just tried to setup some file permissions on my NAS and realised that I am missing the settings for default username and passowrod under network settings / smb-client. Is this a known issue ?

/Selepo
Another possible bug.
Add-ons not able to be updated through ATV2.
Original thread here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=94617
Cheers for the heads-up dtviewer. I'm reluctant to stick it up there as an iOS XBMC issue straight away because updates seem to be working perfectly for me. I'll keep an eye on the thread and if it seems to be happening to a lot of people I'll add it, or I'll add it with the "some users are reporting..." caveat
procrastinator Wrote:Cheers for the heads-up dtviewer. I'm reluctant to stick it up there as an iOS XBMC issue straight away because updates seem to be working perfectly for me. I'll keep an eye on the thread and if it seems to be happening to a lot of people I'll add it, or I'll add it with the "some users are reporting..." caveat

Thanks for the info.
I figured it was everyone but if it is working for you Ill see if I can dig around and find a common element for the people having the issue.
@dtviewer please try the following and check if this fixes your update problem

Issue: Settings are not saved, Updates don't work, Clone Settings from any XBMC to ATV2
Solution: Fix the permissions of the data folder by doing the following in ssh:

Code:
chown -R mobile.mobile /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC

I had to post this answer multiple times for very different issues. It all starts with copying stuff into the data folder of XBMC while using the user "root". So the files get the wrong owner and the user "mobile" which XBMC is run as doesn't have write access to the files.

I've also requested this to be added to the FAQ sticky thread
Memphiz Wrote:@dtviewer please try the following and check if this fixes your update problem

Issue: Settings are not saved, Updates don't work, Clone Settings from any XBMC to ATV2
Solution: Fix the permissions of the data folder by doing the following in ssh:

Code:
chmod -R mobile.mobile /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC

I had to post this answer multiple times for very different issues. It all starts with copying stuff into the data folder of XBMC while using the user "root". So the files get the wrong owner and the user "mobile" which XBMC is run as doesn't have write access to the files.

I've also requested this to be added to the FAQ sticky thread

You had me run that command a while back because my library was not updating.
I will go ahead and run it again tonight when I get home from work.
I am going to also copy your post to the original thread about the add-ons not updating so anyone else can try it.

Thanks

(Maybe a stupid question but can I connect to my ATV using mobile/alpine instead of root/alpine?)
@dtviewer - please see my edit ... i've wrongly entered a chmod instead of a chown ... and yes you could login as mobile instead ... not sure about the password though...
You can log in as user: mobile pass: alpine

Best practice to keep permissions proper is to create two bookmarks for your SFTP program.

I create one to log in as root if I need to manipulate anything in the actual XBMC installed directory: /Applications/XBMC.frappliance

For that SFTP bookmark, you can make the remote path go directly to /Applications/XBMC.frappliance/ to save the trouble of navigating there yourself.

For the second bookmark, for when I need to upload anything to the userdata directory. i.e. joystick.AppleRemote.xml, advancedsettings.xml, plugin zips, etc...

I create a bookmark with user of mobile and set the default remote path to be: /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/

That way the files are correctly uploaded with the proper ownership.

In the world of linux/unix/etc....permissions and ownership is very important. So best to keep all that proper or at least be aware of them whenever one is modding any file. Or else, you can run into strange issues.
@dazex

good habit ... hopefully the majority of xbmc users will take that in Wink - this generated some unneeded questions in the last days ... *hehe*
dazex Wrote:You can log in as user: mobile pass: alpine

Best practice to keep permissions proper is to create two bookmarks for your SFTP program.

I create one to log in as root if I need to manipulate anything in the actual XBMC installed directory: /Applications/XBMC.frappliance

For that SFTP bookmark, you can make the remote path go directly to /Applications/XBMC.frappliance/ to save the trouble of navigating there yourself.

For the second bookmark, for when I need to upload anything to the userdata directory. i.e. joystick.AppleRemote.xml, advancedsettings.xml, plugin zips, etc...

I create a bookmark with user of mobile and set the default remote path to be: /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/

That way the files are correctly uploaded with the proper ownership.

In the world of linux/unix/etc....permissions and ownership is very important. So best to keep all that proper or at least be aware of them whenever one is modding any file. Or else, you can run into strange issues.

What is the difference between root and mobile user?

Thanks,
S@
skullmonkey Wrote:What is the difference between root and mobile user?

Thanks,
S@

In unix and linux, 'root' is the super user who always has full privileges to everything. It is considered unsafe to use root for most purposes as root can easily destroy a system with a single command (just one reason). So 'mobile' is simply the user apple has chosen to create and use within IOS, and with just the required permissions to run the ATV applications.
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
FAQ/info/issues1