Avoid idle/shutdown when sharing?
Question 
Hello all

I've searched but not found much joy on this so hoping someone may be more clever than I.

I have two XBMC units (a Revo 3600 and 3700) and one has some USB drives hanging from it so is the "master" running Samba for the other one to slave off. I like my units to go into standby using the in-built shutdown function within XBMC and I have a wake on lan script that fires the master back up if the slave boots or restarts. However, this is great until you watch something on the slave which runs for longer than the shutdown timer on the master. If this happens, the master shuts itself down regardless of the fact Samba is serving up data.

Is there any way I can have the idle timer recognise that sharing data via Samba is a non-idle event? Or can I poke the master from the slave in some way to keep the idle timer at 0? I tried this by grabbing a page from the XBMC webserver every few minutes but this didn't seem to register as an event worth reseting the shutdown timer for. Any helps will be much appreciated.

For those that like summaries -

1. [Master] Acer Revo 3600. Running XBMC and Samba. Stores all of my content on local or USB drives. Shutdown timer set for 20 minutes with the action being standby.

2. [Slave] Acer Revo 3700. Running XBMC only. No local content stored but has all drives from [Master] mounted using smbfs. Sends WOL packet to master if it is offline.

Cheers

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Avoid idle/shutdown when sharing?0