Which Macbook would be sufficient for 1080P?
I need to replace my existing Windows laptop, and was thinking of building a new HTPC as well... but then I was thinking if I spend a little more and get a Macbook Pro, I could connect the macbook to my TV, and use a mini toslink to TOSlink cable for the digital audio.

So now I'm looking at various macbook configurations, and wondering if these have enough power to run 1080P... I'm thinking even without the video acceleration, the CPU alone should be able to handle the load.

I am planning on installing Windows 7 on the Macbook as my primary OS, and running the windows build of XBMC.

So my question is... would I be able to playback 1080P video with either of these 13.3" Macbooks, I'm hoping that the CPU is more than powerful enough to make up for the Intel HD Graphics..

13-inch: 2.3 GHz
2.3GHz dual-core
Intel Core i5
4GB 1333MHz
Intel HD Graphics 3000

13-inch: 2.7 GHz
2.7GHz dual-core
Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz
Intel HD Graphics 3000

Or would I have to spend more and go for the 15" with better video?

15-inch: 2.0 GHz
2.0GHz quad-core
Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz
Intel HD Graphics 3000
AMD Radeon HD 6490M with 256MB GDDR5
Why spend all that money on a Macbook Pro and then not run OSX on it? You might as well by a cheaper laptop with same spec.
A new macbook pro can output audio and video via its displayport using a HDMI adapter.
All these macbook pros should play 1080p with ease.
^^

This.

Macbook Pros are fantastic machines, but it's silly to run windows on them as the primary OS. Run Bootcamp or Fusion if you absolutely NEED windows, but with only a few exceptions you're better off getting the job done in OS X.

You can even run XBMC on it Big Grin

I'd go one better, though, and suggest you do both. Get the $1199 13" MBP and build a barebones HTPC for ~$300. The feel you get from a dedicated appliance far exceeds the feel you get from hooking a laptop up to your monitor, and saves hassle.
Personally I think your wasting your money. Despite Apple do a lovely looking laptop your spending a lot more than you actually need too. I own a macbook and I personally can not see any benefit of owning a mac and to a certain degree regret purchasing the laptop.

However if you do decide to go along with it all of those laptops should be capable of 1080P.
The only reason I am considering a MacBook over a windows laptop is because one of my friends thinks that she can get me a deal. I would never pay full retail for one.

Also I was looking at running windows just because that is what I am most familiar with. In addition my home network with my windows home server is also Microsoft based.

And I also wanted to use the machine for running Mame so an atom/ion htpc won't cut it for many of those games, so I was looking at spending about $650 Canadian just for an HTPC later this year.

Anyways something I am considering.

Thanks for the responses.
activoice Wrote:The only reason I am considering a MacBook over a windows laptop is because one of my friends thinks that she can get me a deal. I would never pay full retail for one.

Also I was looking at running windows just because that is what I am most familiar with. In addition my home network with my windows home server is also Microsoft based.

And I also wanted to use the machine for running Mame so an atom/ion htpc won't cut it for many of those games, so I was looking at spending about $650 Canadian just for an HTPC later this year.

Anyways something I am considering.

Thanks for the responses.

OSX is very easy to use. Apple do a very good job of making things so simple that chimps can use it however they manage to make it look good. You will rarely if ever have to use the UNIX terminal so you would not struggle. Also to my knowledge a OSX system should not have trouble to connecting up to a Windows server however don't quote me on that.

However I would look around first even if you are getting discount you can still probably get a better spec windows laptop at a lower cost.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which Macbook would be sufficient for 1080P?0