NVIDIA 6200 able to provide any kind of acceleration for 1080p on a P4 HT 3.2 Ghz?
Question 
Hi Smile

Have a question here... I'm currently running XBMC on my "home server" box running Lubuntu. It's an E2200-powered setup with an old passively cooled NVIDIA 6600.

It's got enough horsepower to run 1080p very nicely, and I've noticed that I can enable both vdpau acceleration and one other type of acceleration whose name I forget (sorry, I'm currently re-installing the thing (going from Mint to Lubuntu), so I can't check it).

Now I'm also toying around with reviving some older hardware from the attic - a Pentium 4 HT 3.2 GHz machine which has an AGP port and a Radeon 9800 Pro. I did it partly for the fun of it, partly because I'd like a less powerful machine with XP 32-bit on it that I can use for older XP games, MAME and stuff like that, running on my plasma.

It's working really great, except the Radeon has problems properly syncing when going in 1080/60p and 1080/50p (I have similar, yet even worse problems with an HD5850 - graphics corruption, flickering/out of sync issues, all-blacks filled with "red pixel snowstorms" etc.) It's also not able to play back 1080p with XBMC. I have no video acceleration options available.

So - to finally get to the point, sorry - I was checking up on the Danish pricewatch site which options I had if I were to get a cheap AGP NVIDIA card, and the only ones that are available are Quadro ones (expensive) or Geforce 6200 ones (cheap).

Well, since I'm having good results with the Geforce 6600 on my other box, I was thinking that maybe the 6200 would make the cut, too. It seems the chips are "pretty much" the same - though Linux states the 6600 on my system is an NV43 chip, while wikipedia and friends talk about an NV44 chip for the 6200. Not sure if there really is a difference with regards to video decoding capabilities?

And even more critically, I don't know for a fact that the acceleration options I'm seeing with the 6600 (i.e. vdpau and "the other one") are actually doing anything, or if I'm just toggling them on with no effect, and it's actually the E2200 being a busy little bee doing all the work.

The easy thing would be to just try out the 6600 on the P4 rig, but... The 6600 is PCI express.
6200 using XP = no

6200 using linux = Huh
Mallet21 Wrote:6200 using XP = no

6200 using linux = Huh

Hehe Big Grin Are you using the 6200 in XP?

I'm also looking a bit at other options, like buying the cheapest motherboard with iGPU I can find and the cheapest processor to fit it... But even though there are lots of really cheap mobo options out there, so far they all sport VGA out Oo No goodie, need that 1080p...
And now... I'm kinda considering going crazy oppositty-like and getting an e-350 fusion apu - is that supported in xbmc in any way? Funky thing is that puny processor with its integrated graphics actually beats my Pentium 4 3.2 GHz in benchmarks, LOL Big Grin And it uses 18 W at full load with the GPU...
the 6200 can't doesn't support vdpau. You can check which card support vdapu here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Pure...HD.29_GPUs
PatrickVogeli Wrote:the 6200 can't doesn't support vdpau. You can check which card support vdapu here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Pure...HD.29_GPUs

Thanks, Patrick! Smile

Do you know why I can enable VDPAU in my settings then? It it just that XBMC detects nvidia drivers and then lets you give it a try, or is it just using "Use VDPAU" as an umbrella setting also covering using the PureVideo HD part which the NV4x chip supports?

And, if the latter is true, will that even give any real benefit?
Quote:Do you know why I can enable VDPAU in my settings then? It it just that XBMC detects nvidia drivers and then lets you give it a try, or is it just using "Use VDPAU" as an umbrella setting also covering using the PureVideo HD part which the NV4x chip supports?
Its just like: "use vdpau if possible" and its always there even if hardware (or software) doesn't support it.
nemek Wrote:Its just like: "use vdpau if possible" and its always there even if hardware (or software) doesn't support it.

Righty-o, thanks Smile It's amazing what XBMC can achieve from very little hardware. I effectively have perfect 1080p playback with no GPU acceleration on an E2200 (overclocked, though, but still just 3 GHz!). It never stutters, not even on the highest profiles h264.

Ah well, guess that concludes my hopes of getting anything really useful out of ye olde P4 in terms of an HD HTPC Smile Must... find... other... use... for old... HARDWARE! Big Grin

Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA 6200 able to provide any kind of acceleration for 1080p on a P4 HT 3.2 Ghz?0