Problem: Filemode doesn't work
so did they change this or what, because I just tried the latest nightly from Keith on my iPhone 4 (XBMC PRE-11.0 Git:20110612-a45dfd9 (Compiled: June 12 2011) ) and File mode works perfectly for me. Nor do I recall any nightly that lacked File mode, but I haven't use XBMC on iOS that often in the last few weeks.
Yeah, I'm not sure what the complaint is. I am running ATV2 with the 5/16/11 nightly and can operate filemode just fine. I add sources, and can either let it add content to the database or not. My media folders all have folder.jpg in them so thumbnails all look good.
From the skin settings of Confluence I can hide "Movies" and "TV Shows" and leave "Videos" enabled. By selecting "Videos" from the main menu, I can view by files just fine and am not having any problem with my folder structure.

Now granted I am also playing with the library modes now too, but for years I had not been crazy about library mode since my folder/file structure was in my eyes perfect. I am finding the current library mode to be quite good, but still like to browse by files as I think the interface is just faster. But to each his own.
Ned Scott Wrote:so did they change this or what, because I just tried the latest nightly from Keith on my iPhone 4 (XBMC PRE-11.0 Git:20110612-a45dfd9 (Compiled: June 12 2011) ) and File mode works perfectly for me. Nor do I recall any nightly that lacked File mode, but I haven't use XBMC on iOS that often in the last few weeks.

the may nightly builds for ios introduced the new library mode where files is at the top of the library. once you select files, most things work as they always had. my only gripe is that marking a folder default is no longer working.

now, every time i startup xbmc, i have to go through an extra 2 menu selections to get to my collections. it's an annoyance, and took the family a week to adjust after 10 years of habit, but it's not a deal-breaker. personally i would have preferred the option be kept or at least keeping the default folder option, but i seem to be in the minority.

fwiw- if i wanted to be forced into library mode, i'd have switched to plex when they went down that route

(yes, we are also still using project mayhem because providing less technical support at home trumps pretty graphics. i once tried boxee and am still getting hell over it. as near as i can tell, they've had the same songs and playlists on their mp3 players for at least 4 years)
@matrix: You can change the "Files" link on home (or "Videos" link if you don't want library mode at all) to go directly to a specific folder if you wish. It's just altering the skin a tiny bit.

In the future the plan is for the "root" of library (and indeed the library heirarchy in general) to be editable (ideally from the UI), so that this will be easier and will save you from altering the skin. Small steps though! Smile

Note that the problem with the "Make default" thing is that it makes it harder from then on to get anywhere else, as most folk don't have the ".." item available, and typically use "back" to go back. So you either have fast access (go straight to Root/Files/your_preferred_dir) and slow backing up (3 backs to get to home) or you have to have another way to get to the "Root" or "Files" levels. Many skins work around this by having the ability to go to specific subfolders of the Videos view from home - eg Confluence's submenus etc, but not all do (PM3).

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:@matrix: You can change the "Files" link on home (or "Videos" link if you don't want library mode at all) to go directly to a specific folder if you wish. It's just altering the skin a tiny bit.

that would be helpful, how do i do that?

Quote:Note that the problem with the "Make default" thing is that it makes it harder from then on to get anywhere else, as most folk don't have the ".." item available, and typically use "back" to go back. So you either have fast access (go straight to Root/Files/your_preferred_dir) and slow backing up (3 backs to get to home) or you have to have another way to get to the "Root" or "Files" levels. Many skins work around this by having the ability to go to specific subfolders of the Videos view from home - eg Confluence's submenus etc, but not all do (PM3).

i'm not sure i understand the logic behind this, but this may because i've only used original xbox remotes and universals mapped as xbox. in my legacy xbmc setup, i boot into the home menu, click on video, and am brought to my main archive folder which is just one level down from my root, parallel to addons and any other sources i add
/home/video/smbfolder (default)

if i wanted to go back to root (video) to use an addon, i hit the back button once, if i wanted to go back to home i'd hit the menu button. if i wanted to enter library mode i hit a few buttons to select the library radio on the left pane (i never understood why library couldnt be another source). if i want to add other sources that are temporary such as usb drives, or a copy of the same source with different credentials that are read/write for my own use, these are readily available and hidden from day to day users

under the new design, everything is always in library mode and my archives are two levels down from root and only parallel to other sources i add but not addons. addons are parallel with empty library categories and the files section (which should really be called sources at this point). when i boot, i have to click on video, then files, then my folder

/home/video/files/smbfolder

i can make files default under the settings menu, saving an extra click down, but then any extra or temporary sources are cluttering up the menus and potentially causing confusion to the rest of the family. if i want to go back to /home, i still press menu (not with original xbox remote on atv2, obviously). if i want to go to an addon, i have to hit back twice now. i cant force the library categories to disappear, so i have all these extra menu items all over the place and the left pane has options like hide watched and party mode that dont o anything in file mode.

it sounds like the pm3 skin may not yet be updated for the new design or i am missing something critical. back in the xbmp and early xbmc days, i had to constantly customise and copy over by xml files, but for years i ould just instll xbmc on a platform, add a single source, set it as default, and walk away knowing that it just worked.

hopefully someone can educate me on the new way to regain this basic functionality or same fogiving dev will add real customisation to the new design
in PM3.HD skin there is an option that fixes your problem:
Settings > Skin settings > Home Window > "Videos" button always goes to file mode.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem: Filemode doesn't work0