[AppleTV2] Operation not permitted when adding SMB sources
Hello.

I have been trying to search here and on Google for a solution but I don't seem to find a similar situation or where they have found a solution.

I had the "official" XBMC for ATV2 and an older version of ATV2 firmware installed when I first stumbled upon this issue.
I then upgraded ATV2 firmware yesterday and installed the latest nightly XBMC build today, but I still have the same problem.

The Problem:
When I try to add a SMB source it loads for a while and then show me the error message Operation not permitted.
When I try to browse SMB for a share it loads for a while and then show an empty list - I have set the SMB workgroup to the same as the other computers.

When I browse the same way on another computer running Windows 7 & XBMC it lists my computers.

I have my media files on a FreeNAS server. XBMC is useless for me now when I cannot add the location of my media files Sad

Has anyone seen this?

Regards,
Daniel
I have now done some testing, it must have stopped working with my FreeNAS upgrade from 7 to 8.

I have setup two virtual FreeNAS servers, one with version .7 and one with the new version 8.

I setup two CIFS/SMB shares directly with same settings, username and password.

The Apple TV2 can access version 7 without problem, but "Operation not permitted" when trying to access FreeNAS 8.

Am I the only one with a ATV2 and media files on a FreeNAS 8 server?

EDIT: I get the same problem running XBMC Live from CD and tries to access the FreeNAS 8 CIFS/SMB share while the FreeNAS 7 share works.

Can this be moved to the General Support part of the forum?

Regards,
Daniel
Strange this, perhaps someone else can understand this.

I can mount the share using mount -t smbfs but not access it through the smbclient command which I think is built into XBMC? Then it times out..
BradSinner Wrote:Strange this, perhaps someone else can understand this.

I can mount the share using mount -t smbfs but not access it through the smbclient command which I think is built into XBMC? Then it times out..

"mount -t smbfs" under ios ? I think not as you can't load a kext.
davilla Wrote:"mount -t smbfs" under ios ? I think not as you can't load a kext.

No, that is on Ubuntu. I have the same problem on Ubuntu XBMC as on iOS XBMC.
I found the the problem, must be a bug in FreeNAS 8.

If you change the hostname from the webgui, you cannot connect to it with smbclient. I have replicated the problem on a virtual FreeNAS 8 as well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Operation not permitted when adding SMB sources0