Keyboard only for XBMC - LIRC, specific input device?
Hi,

I run XBMC on secondary display (HDMI to TV), preserving the primary display (LCD monitor) for the original PC purpose.

I have two IRC devices for XBMC - a regular remote and a wireless minikeyboard. I want to use the minikeyboard for XBMC only. X.org is configured to ignore the keyboard, LIRC is configured properly to relay events from both the devices.

However, I cannot find a way to use the keyboard key definitions (e.g. letters for typing into XBMC search forms) in remote.xml. Or is there a way to tell XBMC to use a specific (non X.org) keyboard, so that I could use the default keyboard.xml?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Really no suggestions? Smile

Thanks in advance.
bump Smile
So you want XBMC (run through X) to use a keyboard setup to be ignored by X.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
darkscout Wrote:So you want XBMC (run through X) to use a keyboard setup to be ignored by X.

Exactly, thanks for the summary. Is such a mode possible? Something like defining the keyboard input device as a command line parameter of xbmc, instead of /in addition to using the X keyboard facility.
bump :-)
I have the same setup, it's doable with LIRC.

You can find the instructions on this page :

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...C_on_Linux

Here's s quick summary:

(This part is optional and added by me, but makes it easier) First, you need to setup udev to setup your kdb device to a known name. To do that, create a file name 90-remote.rules in /etc/udev/rules.d/ and paste this in:

KERNEL=="event[0-9]*" SYSFS{idVendor}=="04b4", YSFS{idProduct}=="0100", SYMLINK="input/remote"

Replace idVendor and idProduct with the ones from your device (use lsusb to get them). Reboot your computer and make sure /dev/input/remote exists and points to the correct device. Run "ls -l /dev/input" and verify. Also, you can try "cat /dev/input/remote" and type some keys on the keyboard, you should see output.

Then install LIRC (check with your distro how to). Then you need two files : hardware.conf and lircd.conf. Check with your distro where they should be located (mine are in /etc/lirc).

Once those are in, start lirc and make sure it works. You need to configure XBMC to use the device. Also, don't forget to add lirc to your boot (again, check with your distro).

Hope that helps!
Hi dgege,

thanks a lot for your help. Actually I have the keyboard set up as a lirc device already. But AFAIU the remote actions do not cover typing regular letter keys, for the input dialogues. Even the linked tutorial does not make use of these, only for controlling xbmc, just as any other remote. I need the keyboard for typing e.g. youtube search terms.

I appreciate your help.
phofman Wrote:Hi dgege,

thanks a lot for your help. Actually I have the keyboard set up as a lirc device already. But AFAIU the remote actions do not cover typing regular letter keys, for the input dialogues. Even the linked tutorial does not make use of these, only for controlling xbmc, just as any other remote. I need the keyboard for typing e.g. youtube search terms.

I appreciate your help.

Ah, I understand what you mean.

For that, I have no idea, sorry Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Keyboard only for XBMC - LIRC, specific input device?0