Cannot see media server from other PCs
I recently build a HTPC for my father, and that HTPC is the subject of this thread. It's running Windows 7 Professional, and XBMC 10.1 Git:e9e9099

When I set up my HTPC at my house, everything was plug-n-play and beautiful. No configuration for anything required. I turned on XBMC, I clicked 'Share music and video libraries through UPnP' and viola, my PS3 and my desktop PC could both stream video straight from the HTPC without any other configuration.

When I set up my HTPC at my parents house, same exact configuration, no other computer (Or the PS3) can see the XBMC server on their network.

When it was working at my house, I opened up Windows Media Player and was able to see 'XBMC: Media Server' listed under 'Other Libraries'. I can still see that if I open up WMP on the HTPC. However, when I open up WMP on a laptop on the same network, I can't see XBMC: Media Server. The PS3 cannot see the XBMC media server either.

Is it possible that it could be the router? At my house I use a Linksys WRT54G using the DD-WRT custom firmware; my parents are using a Linksys BEFSR41 router using the newest available firmware from Linksys.
Is the firewall enabled on your father's PC? If so try disabling it.

JR
Yeah, I disabled the firewall, changed every single sharing option I could find in windows networking, enabled and disabled every option I could find within XBMC, and even tried hardwiring the laptop to the router to see if that would do it.

Nothing worked. So today, on a whim, I took my WRT54G router (using the DD-WRT firmware) over to their house, and replaced the BEFSR41 with mine. Instant success.

So even with the latest and most up-to-date firmware, the BEFSR41 is just junk and couldn't handle UPnP properly. We're looking into buying a new router (They really want Wireless-N) that can be ugpraded with DD-WRT as a solution to this problem. I have no idea if DD-WRT is needed, in fact I'm fairly sure it isn't, but it worked so beautifully and easily that I figure the best thing to do is duplicate the same setup I have at their house.

So! if anyone else has similar issues, I hope they find this thread. Old routers = problems streaming from XBMC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cannot see media server from other PCs0