Dumb ? about "All in One PCs"
Has anyone tried to use XBMC on an "all-in-one" PC like the link below? I'm tempted to order one and try OpenElec on it. Any thoughts?

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/PW.SEU02.012
You must have one of those money trees my parents used to talk about ;-)

In looking at the stats though, I think it's capable enough. Not something I'd spend money on to try. You can get a couple of machines for what that one cost, but I know that wasn't your question...
Should run just fine but with no HDMI port it seems kind of pointless as an HTPC to me.
Mallet21 Wrote:Should run just fine but with no HDMI port it seems kind of pointless as an HTPC to me.

Ha, I guess I dont get it, if you are buying a all in one, why would it be pointless to "not" to have an HDMI port? The point of an all in one is to have it "all in one"e.g. monitor + computer in 1 making the need for an external display unnecessary. An HDMI port would be for such a configuration, might be an unnecessary excess for those looking for this kind of system.

Regardless the to the OPs question, re that configuration with openelec. I didnt see a reference in it for what GPU it has I have no idea if that amd cpu is one that integrates a gpu, I am sure some one here would. Assuming it is one of the amd fusion type systems, since it is amd based, you might hold until the openelec version that supports AMD is known to be working. I think that bun is still cooking in the oven. Given the right cpu/gpu combo I am sure there are all in one boxes that would work just fine, no reason they wouldn't. It seems like many of the all in one systems are basically a laptop that doesn't fold up, and xbmc works fine on laptops that are configured correctly.
well it would work but, i wouldnt do it,,, but thats me,,,
It should work: it has a Nvidia 9200 gpu, so it supports VDPAU just fine. Regarding OpenElec.. it might or might not work. Since it's linux, it's difficult to say if it will have all the drivers needed. I'm pretty confident it will work and, even if it doesn't, live should be good.

However... at $750 it's quite expensive. I'm sure for that price point you can buy a nettop or build your own system + a 32" tv.
PatrickVogeli Wrote:Regarding OpenElec.. it might or might not work. Since it's linux, ... and, even if it doesn't, live should be good.

Huh :confused2:
greetings, Stephan

Win7 Home Permium, reasonable GPU, 1TB storage it should do the job.
The only comment I would make, similar to others, is that a separate base unit and monitor is generally quite a bit cheaper and lets you combine features as you want.
That is a my preference and a personal opinion, you are the one going to use it.
Are you asking if this is okay to use as an XBMC box to drive an external display (hook your tv to this) or to use this as your display? Because using this as your display would be fine, as long as 1080p on a 21.5" is what you want.

But as others have noted, you'll have some trade offs if you're using an external display, you would have to use VGA and the standard 3.5mm audio cables to connect the TV to the pc.

Specs wise this has plenty of power to do the job, but don't forget these are complex systems to upgrade later on, if they even have the ability to do so. So odds are if you wanted a faster chip later you may not be able to, either through the chip being nonreplacable (soldered), bios limitations, or even just finding a supported 45w chip to drop in there. Same goes for the drive, if 1tb of space gets filled up you'll have to rely on external drives which sort of defeats the purpose of buying an all in one in my mind. Could always swap the internal 1tb for a larger drive though...

Also no idea how well XBMC natively supports touch screen displays...anyone got some experience with that?
sraue Wrote:Huh :confused2:
sorry... I thought OpenElec had a very slimmed down kernel, and because of that I thought there may be issues with missing drivers that live could have.

Your answer seems to indicate this issue is non existant.
Thanks to all for posting to this thread.

I think an "all in one" solution could be beneficial in certain situations. For example, it could be used as a minimal setup for rooms where a TV + PC setup might not be ideal. For example, you could place this in a garage, workout room, child's room or use it occasionally outdoors (for parties, etc). The majority of these PCs are wall mountable so you could place these anywhere, eliminating cord clutter as you would just need power. If you have a NAS device, you could stream to it. Some of these system (like Sony's) have really good specs in regards to resolution as well.

I understand that this might not work for some. Instead of XBMC Live or OpenElec, you could use XBMC for Windows. But that's way I asking the "dumb questions"!!Big Grin

The purpose of posting this thread was really to get us thinking of ways which we use various hardware available with XBMC for all. By no means am I suggesting that this be a primary setup. Think of this as a supplemental setup to your existing one.
for me buying one of those is just buying a laptop to use XBMC with Smile

1st Htpc : LC-power LC1360MI case with MSI E350IA-E45 , 2x2gb patriot , 2tb samsung eco
2nd Htpc : same as above except ASUS E35M1-I Deluxe
Rainbow 
PatrickVogeli Wrote:sorry... I thought OpenElec had a very slimmed down kernel, and because of that I thought there may be issues with missing drivers that live could have.

Your answer seems to indicate this issue is non existant.

missing drivers can be added, and we do this on request :-) the kernel byself is not much slimmed down, the OS contains only all what is neccessary :-)
greetings, Stephan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dumb ? about "All in One PCs"0