AppleTV and MySQL problems: Empty DB on other devices
Hi,

I have been running XBMC on several devices for sometime now, and I have all of them using a central MySQL DB.

My setup:

- Ubuntu server running the MySQL server and all Thumbnails on a samba share on it. Movies and TVShows also hosted on it thru samba shares.

- iMac running Snow Leopard that is the main computer, that I use to tune the library (change thumbs, fanarts...). Thumbnails thru symbolic link,

- Two VAIO Laptops running Windows 7 64 bits, both with DB updates disabled, meaning that the DB is not updated on start. Thumbnails via symbolic link.

- An Acer Revo nettop running Windows 7 Home 64, same setup.

- An iPad jailbreaked, with the advancedsettings.xml file properly located, and the thumbnails via foldersubstitute. Also the hostname of the ubuntu server (mysql, thumbnails and movies) in /etc/hosts/

Everything worked flawlessly for months. Adding a new movie or chapter to a TVshow was as easy as coping it to the server, updating the library on the iMac and all items were in sync.

THE PROBLEM CAME WHEN ADDING AN APPLETV 2...

I used the same setup as for the iPad. However, once I connect to the MySQL database from the AppleTV, all other databases appear empty on the rest of devices (except for the iPad...) Tables are not empty, but it looks like only the AppleTV can read them and somehow corrupt them....

There is also an error notification when starting XBMC on other devices saying that there is a problem withe the RecentlyAddedItems addon, or something like that...

I edited the advancedsettings.xml file to create a new database (movies instead of XBMC_movies), and started everything form the begining.... First iMac, them VAIOs... works fine until I change the XML on the APT2 to point to the new table. Once I change it on the APT2, I can't see any movie or show on any device except for it.

Any idea? Somebody having the same problem?

I am using latest releases on all platforms, AFAIK.

Is it a known issue? I have searched for it, but I didn't find anything...

I am about to disable MySQL for the AppleTV...

Regards,

palmero
Sorry, it looks I didn't search that good....

official releases of XBMC for Win/Mac/Linux don't support the MySQL version that AppleTV supports.

Using nightly builds works fine. At least for Windows...

Nevermind.
palmero Wrote:Sorry, it looks I didn't search that good....

official releases of XBMC for Win/Mac/Linux don't support the MySQL version that AppleTV supports.

Nevermind.

Not sure if this helps at all, but I have an ATV1 (Linux Live via Sam's Crystalbuntu image), a standard Windows install and an ATV2 all running off of a single database and sharing a central Thumbnail folder on my NAS...

I make all DB updates from the Windows version on my desk and the ATV1 and ATV2 can read the DB and display thumbs. If I play a video on the ATV1, and stop it I can resume from the ATV2 and vice versa.
palmero Wrote:Sorry, it looks I didn't search that good....

Nevermind.

?

I run latest official XBMC on my PC to do all the scraping, and the official build on my 2 ATV2s and they work fine?

I used the PC to create the MySQL tables initially...
QNAP TS670 NAS - 4x4TB Raided with NFS Support & Central MySQL DB
Pi 3 [Xbian] - Samsung 46" ES7000 Smart TV & HT-E5550 3D BD Sound System
Pi 3 [Xbian]  + Hyperion Ambilight- Samsung 48" Curved UE48JS9000 4k
PowerEthernet T1502 Powerline adapters
nsviper Wrote:?

I run latest official XBMC on my PC to do all the scraping, and the official build on my 2 ATV2s and they work fine?

I used the PC to create the MySQL tables initially...

I will double check the releases.... I think I am not using the official release for AppleTV, but the latest nightly build, as recommended on the thread I followed during install.

The fact is that as soon as I connect the AppleTV, I cannot access from the PC or Mac.

I am still investigating, because I upgraded to the latest nightly on the iMac but now it looks like the scrapers are not working.

Regards,

palmero
I'm having the same problem and i believe it is the last update to the iOS version of XBMC. I was on 10.0-7 for a few months and it worked fine w/ my PCs on the last stable build of XBMC. yesterday I upgraded firmware on the ATV2 and rejailbroke it. NittoTV installed 10.0-8 and when it connected to my DB it wiped out the library for the PCs. took my a while to figure it out. wiped the db several times and recreated it from scratch and worked fine on all the PCs but as soon as the ATV2 came online the library went missing from the other machines. After doing some searches I found this in the ios nightly thread:

Quote:Remote Library - iOS build is on a higher db rev than xbmc stable is. Amet has identified a few bugs with it and we one-off'd a build that works, but we want the change to be fully populated and into nightlies first, so IF YOU USE THIS FUNCTIONALITY, IT WILL UPDATE YOUR DATABASE. So remove the advancedsettings.xml settings for mysql if you're worried about corrupting that DB, for this build at least.

So you say updating the PC build of xbmc to the latest nightly fixed this for you? I'll give this a shot since it would probably be easier then trying to downgrade my ATV2.

Thanks.
This isn't solving your problem, but when I set up my database grants I followed the procedure from this post to give less privileges to the clients connecting to the DB. This way I will get an error on the AppleTV side if there's a problem, rather than the unwanted effect of an erased database.
I've updated windows and OSX to latest nightly build and it works fine.

I am using 10.0-8 on the AppleTV2, and no problems so far

However, I think I will follow the suggested post to restrict permisions from appletv, just in case.

Thanks all
Hi, again

Still playing with this DB issue, but is still not perfect.

I tried to put everything on the official version and tweak the permissions on the database so only my master computer could change the DB.

However, it looks like the AppleTV running 10.0-9 don't like it.

I thought that the AppleTV was upgrading the DB but it could work with a previous version, but it looks like if it cannot upgrade, it does not work.

Why don't work with the nighties? Because the scrapers suck.

So right now I don't know what to do...

I will probably scrap everything on the last official version, the export thumbnails, and then upgrade to the latest nightie.

Any idea?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AppleTV and MySQL problems: Empty DB on other devices0