xbox media server to LAN
Exclamation 
how about setting up a xbox with either media center as your dashboard, and then let it be your file/media server in the house for your lan?

the box isn't noisy and for me it will be brilliant, especially with two wireless laptops in the house. i hate the fact that my xbox requires a pc to be switched on to access any media. i suppose i can copy everything, but keeping it syncronized will only be a pain. currently i can download the files using ftp on my pc's, but that defeats the purpose as i don't have any streaming, i suppose you need to set up shares for streaming purposes. future wise, if you stick in say a 200/300gb hdd, you'll be set for a long time. since it will be running non-stop (to serve) it will really become your media center, especially as anyone can just switch the telly to av (anytime) and voila.

i tried searching everywhere, but couldn't come up with much - everything seemed to be focussed for the xbox to connect to a pc (it flabberghasts me - mine works with simple windows shares....) i can't think that i am the first one to come up with this idea. i noticed something about samba, but that seemed to have died as well because of illegal compilers or something.

does something like this exist out there, or is the team planning to create something like this? somebody please enlighten me...

ps - i don't want my xbox running linux to achieve this feat, as i don't want to deal with the whole media codecs issue.
moving to the feature suggestions forum, the xbmc general discussion forum is for general discussion only.

ps!, if you search the feature suggestions forum from the beginning you find fr of samba-server and python xns server
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbox media server to LAN0