Mac mini issues with Harmony remote, and mounting volumes
Hey all,

I have a Mac Mini running Mac OS X, with XBMC running on top of that.

I have a few issues (2) that I can't seem to work out, and would really appreciate some suggestions.

Probably the most straight forward to attend to is mounting volumes, and this may well be my lack of Mac know-how shining through.

1. I have all my media stored on a server, along with an SQL database that all my XBMC devices share, and a central Thumbnails folder also on this server.

Everything is setup fine on the server.

On my Mac Mini, I have told the Mac to mount the network location of the thumbnails folder to a volume. I have then setup a shortcut within the userdata folder of XBMC that links to this mounted volume.

Here is where I have trouble occasionally. The Mac mounts the volume first at login, followed by launching XBMC. This works fine. However, sometimes for whatever reason, the remote network share is not mounted, so when XBMC launches, the Thumbnails shortcut goes nowhere so a folder Titled Thumbnails is created at the usual location of the mounted volume. So now there are no thumbnails.

Upon restarting the Mac Mini, the folder titled Thumbnails still exists in the Mounted Volumes directory, so when the volume is successfully mounted it is now labelled "Thumbnails-1". So now I have to go in manually and delete this folder so that after next boot the Mounted Volume has the correct name.

Has anyone got a better way of achieving central thumbnail sharing? The whole needing to mount a volume thing is so strange to me. I just used symbolic links in Windows which just works if the share is available, or doesn't if its not.

2. I have a Harmony One universal remote, and have set the Mac Mini to the device "Plex Player" (perhaps Plex Media Server, can't recall at present).

This works on a very basic level and I can navigate XBMC fine, however a huge majority of the buttons double up on functionality. From what I have read this shouldn't be happening, but I have also read that the Plex option has been made useless by Logitech.

What else can I do to configure my Harmony remote for use with a Mac Mini running XBMC? I have a spare Dell branded USB MCE IR receiver that I can connect to the Mac Mini, I just don't know how to utilise it under Mac OS. That would be my preferred option if it's do-able, as that receiver would be far less restricted than the inbuilt Mac one.

Also, is it possible to use either the inbuilt IR module, or the external USB one, to cold boot the Mac Mini using the Harmony remote? I don't like my chances, but you never know unless you ask! If not, what other options are there?

Thanks for taking the time to read my problems. Any feedback/suggestions are much appreciated.

Oh and I did try and do my research before posting these questions. Just couldn't find anything that was useful enough for me that I could apply to my problems.
1) Also known as the classic race condition. you have two processes, xbmc and the mounting. Most of the time, mounting wins. I'd look into writing an applescript that handles both to control the sequencing and set this applescript to run at startup.

2) No, you cannot cold boot the MacMini using anything but the button. Wake from sleep is another story.
Hi,
1: I had the same problem of mount my NAS AFP shares. After resuming of rebooting my shares where missing.

I bought the small program Bonjour Mounter and my problems were solved. It always remount my shares prefectly, even on resume. I even have it setup to do a rescan of my media after resuming from wake:

http://bonjourmounter.gestosoft.com/en/

2: I also have a Harmony and using the plex media remote inside the logitech software I have all the buttons I need within XBMC
MBP late 2009 - TimeCapsule 2TB - Harmony One+ - Readynas NV+ 8TB RAID5 - Mac Mini late 2009 with 10.9.0 and VDA - Panasonic TX-PG420ES -
I have a harmony. Put simply on the occasion i restart my mini, i just hit menu to launch xbmc. No race issue then.
Wolferine111 Wrote:Hey all,
2. I have a Harmony One universal remote, and have set the Mac Mini to the device "Plex Player" (perhaps Plex Media Server, can't recall at present).

This works on a very basic level and I can navigate XBMC fine, however a huge majority of the buttons double up on functionality. From what I have read this shouldn't be happening, but I have also read that the Plex option has been made useless by Logitech.

Plex Player should work fine BUT you have to install a custom Keymap.xml file to get all the buttons working :-)

Here you can find detailed instructions. I followed them -> works perfect.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=55660

gf_4

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mac mini issues with Harmony remote, and mounting volumes0