what am i doing wrong - Storing Data over SMB
Ned Scott Wrote:Path substitution to the rescue!

In your userdata folder make a new text document called "advancedsettings.xml" with the following content (if you already have this file, just add this text in there somewhere between the <advancedsettings> tags):

Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <pathsubstitution>
    <substitute>
      <from>special://Thumbnails/</from>
      <to>smb://somecomputer/folder/etc/Thumbnails/</to>
    </substitute>
  </pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>

Below is what i have done

I created this file with notepad and saved it as "advancedsettings.xml"

then using filezilla client, i injected it to /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata

Also i have created the folder "xbmcdatat/etc/Thumbnails" on the HDD where the SMB shares are located.

Now i cant get Xbmc to download thumbnails of any of my tv shows and Movies.

A noob friendly reply would be appreciated

thanks
look like you need a share name in there

192.168.1.201 is your server what is the smb sharename?

i think it should be in your advancesettings.xml
<to>smb://192.168.1.201/**yourshare**/xbmcdatat/etc/Thumbnails/</to>
Solar Powered Server Xubuntu 13.04 Sickbeard+Sabnzbd+Couchpotato+Headphones+mysql running @ 20 watts
Home Clients ATV2, Ouya, Xubuntu and Windows 8 all 13.2
Moblie Clients SGS5 SG Note II and SG Tab S all 13.2
Dark Knight RT-AC66U merlins build

dizzyikea Wrote:look like you need a share name in there

192.168.1.201 is your server what is the smb sharename?

i think it should be in your advancesettings.xml
<to>smb://192.168.1.201/**yourshare**/xbmcdatat/etc/Thumbnails/</to>

where can i edit and add the sharename?

I have multiple harddrives over SMB, one for movies, one for 720p movies and one for TV shows, should copy the exact code from the xml file and edit each source with the "share name" to the targeted folder ?

now when i try to retrieve tv show information, i get the error "unable to connect to remote server"

HELP PLEASE!
Im not 100% sure but i would expect that

smb://192.168.1.201/xbmcdatat/etc/Thumbnails

is not a correct share on your network because you have mentioned xbmcdatat/etc/Thumbnails is your path and smb://192.168.1.201 is your server. Make a new share somewhere called "thumbs" and change the xml file to

smb://192.168.1.201/thumbs/xbmcdatat/etc/Thumbnails

im not to familiar with all the settings in the advancesettings.xml but it looks to me that you are pointing at a share that does not exist, because of this i am not sure if you need to do this for every source but i dont think so
Solar Powered Server Xubuntu 13.04 Sickbeard+Sabnzbd+Couchpotato+Headphones+mysql running @ 20 watts
Home Clients ATV2, Ouya, Xubuntu and Windows 8 all 13.2
Moblie Clients SGS5 SG Note II and SG Tab S all 13.2
Dark Knight RT-AC66U merlins build

I can see that Ned has suggested this but....

A while ago I was attempting to achieve something similar where I was trying to save say a movie from the addon directly to a smb share from atv2. At that time, Amet advised me that
Code:
Originally Posted by amet  
unless the addons that you are using are modified to use xbmcvfs.copy('src', 'dest') you will not be able to save to SMB://

external python doesnt know what SMB:// is, thats why the addon needs to download to a 'temp' location on a local drive and then copy using xbmcvfs to SMB://

In which case, this may apply here as well. Have a look at this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=102371&page=2

Edit: This doesn't apply if you are using MySql which I picked up from your previous thread.
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

i have lost hope, i sat for 4 hours trying but no avail. retored---jailbroke---installed xbmc via ssh
activate Wrote:I can see that Ned has suggested this but....

A while ago I was attempting to achieve something similar where I was trying to save say a movie from the addon directly to a smb share from atv2. At that time, Amet advised me that
Code:
Originally Posted by amet  
unless the addons that you are using are modified to use xbmcvfs.copy('src', 'dest') you will not be able to save to SMB://

external python doesnt know what SMB:// is, thats why the addon needs to download to a 'temp' location on a local drive and then copy using xbmcvfs to SMB://

In which case, this may apply here as well. Have a look at this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=102371&page=2

Edit: This doesn't apply if you are using MySql which I picked up from your previous thread.

Path subsituition can be used independently from mysql. Thumbnails are not restricted in the same way add-ons are.
ramiy Wrote:i have lost hope, i sat for 4 hours trying but no avail. retored---jailbroke---installed xbmc via ssh

You should have tried to browse the SMB share that had thumbs in XBMC. Under where it says "browse for new share" it displays the file path, and you could have just copied that.

But that was just for remote thumbs/fan art. In the other thread it was suggested that you check file sizes in var/mobile/ to see what was taking up so much space, but you never commented on that.

In any case, hope that everything is working now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
what am i doing wrong - Storing Data over SMB0