Recommendation on Llano A8 configuration
Hi everybody,

What an amazing forum here. Just registered. I was hoping to get some advice on my current HTPC configuration.

Motherboard: Biostar TA75A+
Processor: AMD A8-3850
Memory: Corsair XMS3 4GB
PSU: Cooler master RS600
SSD: Crucial 64GB C300
HD: Caviar Green WD2000EARS
Blu Ray: Samsung Black SH-B123L
Case: Lian Li PC-C37B

Most important thing to me in the system is that it's near-silent. I currently have a Tivo Series 3 and it has always stayed quiet except for a little bit of hard drive noise.

I'll be using this with a Ceton Infinitv card. I want to be able to watch TV, watch MKVs and rip movies, preferably at the same time.

I'd also like the system to be 3D-video ready, although I have no need for it right now as my TV is 2D.

Do you think I'm going overboard with the case, power supply, and processor? I have limited space in the cabinet - about 17w x 15d x 6h. I like the looks of the Lian Li but it's very expensive.

Last, the price of this setup is pretty expensive. I'd like to try to cut it down as much as possible. Anyone have any recommendations there?

Thanks!
If you wanted to save a few bucks I guess I would start with the case+psu....After a quick newegg search you are looking at $220 for just the case and PSU.

While the processor may be overkill I would keep it....I've never heard anyone regret buying something that was too powerful. Besides you are looking to multitask with this box and will want plenty of overhead.

Selfishly I am hoping you go with this Llano build as I am extremely curious as to how these new AMD processors perform.
Mallet21 Wrote:If you wanted to save a few bucks I guess I would start with the case+psu....After a quick newegg search you are looking at $220 for just the case and PSU.

While the processor may be overkill I would keep it....I've never heard anyone regret buying something that was too powerful. Besides you are looking to multitask with this box and will want plenty of overhead.

Selfishly I am hoping you go with this Llano build as I am extremely curious as to how these new AMD processors perform.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I agree about the processor. In the end, an extra 30 or 40 bucks for something that will last an extra year or 2 is work it to me.

Got any recommendations on case/psu combo? I think that's what I'm beating my head in a wall over. There are just so many combos and everyone seems to have a strong opinion (a lot negative, there's no magic bullet here).

I've read that the Samsung drives won't allow you to rip blu-rays. Have you heard of this issue?
5thwall Wrote:Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I agree about the processor. In the end, an extra 30 or 40 bucks for something that will last an extra year or 2 is work it to me.

Got any recommendations on case/psu combo? I think that's what I'm beating my head in a wall over. There are just so many combos and everyone seems to have a strong opinion (a lot negative, there's no magic bullet here).

I've read that the Samsung drives won't allow you to rip blu-rays. Have you heard of this issue?

1. The Silverstone ML03B ($60) is pretty popular. You could pair it with a Corsair CX430 ($35AR) power supply.

2. False on the Samsung BD-drive. You just need have the proper software for ripping (AnyDVD, DVDFab, MakeMKV etc..).
Mallet21 Wrote:1. The Silverstone ML03B ($60) is pretty popular. You could pair it with a Corsair CX430 ($35AR) power supply.

2. False on the Samsung BD-drive. You just need have the proper software for ripping (AnyDVD, DVDFab, MakeMKV etc..).

What did you go with for your case/system?
I've got a dual core intel processor and an HD5450 as my main HTPC in this case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811129034
Though I spray-painted the silver front black as I didn't care for the silver but had to have this case (also came with Antec EarthWatts 380W psu).
Mallet21 Wrote:I've got a dual core intel processor and an HD5450 as my main HTPC in this case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811129034
Though I spray-painted the silver front black as I didn't care for the silver but had to have this case (also came with Antec EarthWatts 380W psu).

Nice case. I was also looking for something with a second 5.25 slot to put in an LCD, possibly. I've got some leftover black spray paint just waiting to be used! Wink

Did you replace the fans?
Here's a crappy cell-phone pic from when I put it together:

I replaced one of the fans with an 800rpm Scythe Slipstream 120mm fan. The 2nd fan that comes with the case I took out completely. For my application, 1 fan was plenty and the Antec comes with a cover plate to cover the empty 120mm hole.
@Mallet that looks pretty good, have any pics of the internals?
Advice on Hardware
PC-LUXA2 CPU-AMD Phenom II X6 1100T RAM-12GB Video Card-AMD Radeon HD 6800
OS-Win7 32bit - Kodi - 14.0 Helix SKIN - Aeon MQ 5 Keyboard - DiNovo Mini

-Semper Fi
gyrene2083
Great looking case. Which finish did you use with the spraypaint? I take it it's pretty quiet with one fan?
5thwall Wrote:Great looking case. Which finish did you use with the spraypaint? I take it it's pretty quiet with one fan?

Flat black....I was going to go with a glossy black but chickened out. I felt the flat gave me greater room for error. The flat matches my flat metallic components anyway. I did a quick primer (sandable) over the original silver finish. Then I did a light sanding of the primer and finished up with 2 light coats of the flat black

Its a very quiet case...I'll snap some photos of the internals when I get home tonight.
So, I finally bit the bullet and bought the parts. Here's what I got:

Processor: AMD A8-3850
Mobo: Biostar TA75A+
Power Supply: Corsair CX430
Case: Silverstone GD05B
Hard Drive: WD TSD-2000EARS
SSD Drive: Kingston 64 gb
RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB (2x2GB)
Blu-Ray: LG Black Super WH12LS30

Everything should be in by the end of the week (fingers crossed!). So, I'll let you know how the build goes. I'm very excited about this. Total will cost me about $560 after rebates. However I'm embarrassed to admit how much once I add in my Ceton card (you can do the math Wink.

Hoping it's quiet and lasts 5 years+!
Mallet21 Wrote:Selfishly I am hoping you go with this Llano build as I am extremely curious as to how these new AMD processors perform.

They don't.....at least not with XBMC

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recommendation on Llano A8 configuration0