Apple TV2 - need a cheap HTPC for the parents...
So I'm debating an ATV2 or building a HTPC.

My parents really want one in the lounge now after the success of my exploits. We at a maximum will stream 3-10GB mkv movies or such (720p, sometimes 720p where the file sizes would be 8GB or so).. can the ATV support this?

Can the ATV support Aeon Nox?

If not, I'll go down the HTPC route for probably x2 to x3 the price.
I haven't used an ATV2 for a while but when I did it played 3-10GB .mkv fine, even 1080p. If it's wired you shouldn't have any problems, if it's wireless you might get the occasional buffer.

I test streamed a 1080p SBS 3D version of Tron 2 over wireless with a little buffering here and there.

I'm not 100% but I think I tried Aeon Nox and I can't remember any problems.

The ATV2 is slow imo but it should do what you need.
I have a 5 instances of xbmc, one of them is a atv2. while it does functionally work, it is not what I would consider a very stable platform meaning there are times when video may not play back, it can take a long time to start playing, it is very slow at finding content, it may/will crash back to front row and there are times when I come back and find that it has just restarted back to front row and I have no idea why, but likely because it crashed when being told to update the library from one of my servers. I would also say if your benchmark or performance is lets say an atom based pc, the atv2 xbmc version has performance issues in comparison (very understandable, they have packed a lot in a small form factor). I also think it is fair to say that the atv2 code is very much under development, so one needs to be tolerant to that. The remote for the ATV2 is what I would call high concept, not the most user friendly as their are very few buttons, so doing things like pulling up menus requires one to do things like hold a button down for a period of time to get to them. For my use this is fine, I am tolerant to these kinds of issues and inconsistencies for my purposes, but I am sure that experience is not for everyone, if it was my primary xbmc client I would consider it unacceptable, and I dont think I would expect any one to know how to use it correctly outside of myself. Lastly it of course requires one to jailbreak the atv2, not a big issue for some it is IMO not trivial either as it is clearly a extra non standard type activity one must go through to be able to install and use xbmc on that box.

IMO If you are looking for a more mature platform that is an appliance model you might look to something like the openelec version of xbmc. While the atv2 has a very nice form factor, and it is nice that you can get to front row and access things like netflix or itunes if that is important to you, if you are looking for a platform that gives you a xbmc experience like an htpc I think it is not the best platform choice, at least for right now. But if one is open to the issues like I have outlined there is clearly a place for the atv2 version of xbmc.
I agree with claypigeon on all the issues mentioned. Unless someone had an AppleTV and needed convincing on XBMC I wouldn't use one.

I set one up for my brother and scanned his library for him. He has been using it for 4 months without a problem. He doesn't update the library or use the context menu.

The extra money for a HTPC is worth it in performance and usability.
you guys are right.

now i just need to find a cheap thing/sexy HTPC. I was thinking zotac but when you add RAM + HD/SD + remote/receiver.. it all adds up.
An AppleTV (Gen 1) running Linux with a Crystal HD card might be a better choice then.

I'm running one in my bedroom at the moment, performance wise it sits nicely in between ATV2 and HTPC. If you get a good deal on Ebay it will probably be cheaper than ATV2, card included.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV2 - need a cheap HTPC for the parents...0