problems with new htpc build & XBMC
I used to use xbmc on my old "chipped" original Xbox until a few years ago, having moved up to the Brite-View Cinema Tube media player which gave me no problems streaming from my NAS box [2x2TB drives], over a hard wired network via Samba Having run out of room on the server, I decided to purchase a 5-bay HDD enclosure with 5x2TB HDDs in a RAID 5 config, formatted in ext4 and connected to my server. I've since had built an HTPC with the following hardware:
AMD A8-3850 CPU
ASUS F1 A75-M Pro Motherboard
8GB DDR3 memory [2x4GB Corsair Vengeance sticks]
OCZ Agility 3 SSD boot drive, etc., etc.
no other internal drives in the Silverstone G06 case, only my 5-bay enclosure attached via USB 3.0 cable
Using an Onkyo RC260 AVR in 5.1 connected to a Sammy 1080p LCD TV
Using Ext2fsd software to read/mount automatically the ext4 formatted enclosure upon boot up of OS, to have easy access to the enclosure through Win 7 Ultimate [64bit] and XBMC.
It's hardwired to my network, altho' I'm not using any shares as yet until my problem is resolved.
I'vr gone through the wiki, read forum posts here and elsewhere for the past 3 days, but still having problems.
In XBMC, I cannot load various .ISO and .AVI files. Some .ISOs work...those being the ones without a menu [load to movie right away], and even some with menus. Same problem with most .AVIs. I've gone through the XBMC settings in video/audio setup, as well as my AVR to be sure that the settings were correct. I've been doing this for the past 3 days, upon receiving my new HTPC build. I also notice that sometimes, XBMC loses the "path" to my attached enclosure, and when I do exit XBMC, I notice that it disappears as well in Windows, but not while a movie/TV show is already in progress. If I can get the basics down first, I'm willing to re-format the enclosure in NTFS and re-load my media from my backups if this still causes me problems. First things first.

It's extremely discouraging having spent so much $$ on this new build, since my old Cinema Tube had no problems streaming any file through my Samba connection on the network.

Is there anyone out there that can guide me on what I'm doing wrong .....so that I'm able to play these .ISO & .AVI files?
I've googled pretty well all my problems, made some adjustments, etc., to no avail.

Thanks!
Choose an avi that doesn't work. Enable debug logging in System settings, System, Debugging, then restart XBMC and attempt to play the avi. Now close XBMC and post the debug log on pastebin.com for us to have a look at.

See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Log_File for how to get at the log file.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:Choose an avi that doesn't work. Enable debug logging in System settings, System, Debugging, then restart XBMC and attempt to play the avi. Now close XBMC and post the debug log on pastebin.com for us to have a look at.

See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Log_File for how to get at the log file.

JR

Here is a BD rip of Avatar [45+GB] where I ran out of memory within a couple of minutes, even after a fresh re-boot of windows [no Aero Theme]. Seems that XBMC only sees 4GB of my 8GB memory, but that would run out in a few minutes too I assume.

Hers's the pastebin link

http://pastebin.com/embed_js.php?i=JjEUPpKZ

Thanks.

I will try to get an .AVI as well and put that up. I notice that the AVIs are not supported, but when I press <Esc> on the keyboard, the AVI is playing in a window behind the XBMC GUI with audio/video. I set XBMC to play as full screen and not true FS BTW.

I also notice that when XBMC is updating my videos, most of it is missing, even tho' it's completed its search [IMDB]. I must have over 4.3TB of videos on my 5-bay enclosure. A list view in XBMC shows them all, it's just the log file that doesn't seem complete.

edit:

here's another pastebn from and .MKV that wouldn't play except in the background
http://pastebin.com/embed_js.php?i=4TpnQZUh

Tried both full screen & true FS

Another pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/embed_js.php?i=F7bMrLDc

This was an .ISO with menus [play/credits/special features, etc.] My Sammy HDTV [120Hz] reported on screen that this format was not supported]. Screen was blank but could hear audio portion....pressing <Esc> on he keyboard would show me the "menu" screen of the video, but could not see the choices to pick from [play/special features, etc.].
Try disabling hardware acceleration. A quick Google failed to find much on the SUMO 9640 GPU, but there have been reports of problems with hardware acceleration on some ATI GPUs.

The Avatar rip is generating lots of errors along the lines of:

ERROR: ffmpeg[9FC]: [NULL] non-existing SPS 1 referenced in buffering period

though the other mkv doesn't report these, so they may or may not be significant. I'd guess that the problem with the ISO is unrelated. Try disabling the "adjust refresh rate to match video" setting in Settings, Video, Playback and see if this makes any difference.

JR
Did you install the latest AMD Catalyst drivers? The A8 series APU is fresh out of the production line, so it`s possible that there are still bugs in the drivers. Disabling DXVA is a good place to start, like jhsrennie said.
I've turned off hardware acceleration [DXVA], ran it a bit, movies just crashed after a minute or so. Disabled the "adjust refresh rate.....", same problem. At least I get those ISOs into fullscreen now, and am able to choose from the menu selections.

I do have a new pastebin @
http://pastebin.com/embed_js.php?i=pTxbBY9s

It'ss a Star Trek .MKV file that quits right after the opening credits.
I'm still at a loss on why XBMC only seems to recognize only 4 out of my 8GBs RAM, from the logging screen during the movie playback on the top left hand side of the screen. When I played this particular movie, it was only using a little over 1GB of RAM, but still quit.

The Catalyst drivers are all up to date as well as all my other drivers. When I originaly installed Win 7 [64 bit], I updared all the drivers after initial install, as well as Windows 7 updates as well

edit: playing more mkvs, but they stop randomly in various parts of the film. Figurred that XBMC is 32 bit, the reason it may not be seeing my 8GBs of memory on my 64 bit OS. Finding it pretty unreliable in any case. My media player would play anything you threw at it, and it's a pretty cheap media player. I guess the Windows version of XBMC was not as reliable as I thought. Guess you live and learn which was an expensive proposition for me. Maybe I should have invested in something like a Zotac Zbox, at least it was more disposable. Now considering to sell my older PC, using this HTPC as my main PC, add in a cheap GPU and be done with it...............plus go back to my Cinema Tube media player. At least it's reliable.
last ditch effort. Ran XBMC in Vista SP 2 mode, quit after 3 minutes of play. Ran it in Win 7 mode.........this time, my memory shows correctly, but it looks as if XBMC chews it all up right at the start using all 8GB from loading XBMC from a fresh re-boot of Win7. Before, it would start to use 1GB+ of memory and gradually increase/decrease as the film went along. This time, it uses all the memory at one time and movies quit after 3 minutes. All my films are good since I've played them with my Cinema Tube media player. I've also checked in the compatibility mode "disable visual themes and desktop composition" Same problem. Very frustrating.
448 views and I'm the only one using an AMD A8-3850...doesn't look profitable for AMD!
Tried the HTPC with my ATI Radeon Vapor X that resides in my main PC. All I received was a message on boot that the ASS mobo I'm using in the HTPC refuses to boot because the PSU is not letting it. Figured a Silverstone Strider Plus 500W [Bronze] would be enough and double checked with a PSU calculator to be absolutely positive that it would. Boots fine without the GPU.............Goodbye AMD!
Yeah from what i've seen people tend to be into their Intel and Nivida hardware on this forum.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
problems with new htpc build & XBMC0