Actor search issue
I do hope this is not related to my database size (I have 350 movies and 1480 TV series in it for now)...

Here is what I encountered : I have many Arnold Schwarzenegger movies and when I use the search option or when I go to Movies section/Actors then select Schwarzenegger, the result is missing 2 entries, Predator and Batman & Robin when in the web interface i Do see the 10 movies with him as an actor... Worse, I've set my movies in the web interface with sets (when it is relevant) and in the above search results, one of the entries is the terminator set (complete with all 4 movies) when Schwrzenegger didn't play in the fourth one (and the web interface doesn't show that movie in manage actors)....

Obviously something is wrong because requesting another search.. Quentin Tarantino for example, gives me the whole tarantino set with 10 entries, including Kill Bill in which he never played but missed From Dusk Till Dawn 1 or Four Rooms, when the web interface gives me only 6 results, missing Pulp Fiction.....

GRrrrrr, what's wrong ?
Hi,

I understand you use 2 tools : xbmc and the web interface.

Xbmc processes information and presents it in a certain way and the web interface drive xbmc that processes information, and the web interface presents the information in another way.

Make a test with no movie sets.
I just don't understand.. Don't they use the same DB ? So why the discrepancies ?
Both use the same DB but both not present the same informations.

I think because you use movie sets, the informations returned are differents, one tool count movies in movies sets and the other tool not.
Yup - it'll be due to sets. Figure out exactly what the cause is and we can then look to reproducing it and fixing it (assuming something needs fixing).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thumbs Up 
Here is exactly what I did.

Installed xbmc Dharma in 7 x64 ultimate, add The Carmichael skin. Added movies by going to files mode, scrap information about them either by IMDB or MOVIEDB.

For this particular example I've added :
- whole Predator saga (one set named Predator with 5 movies sorted chronologically and labelled predator 1 to predator 5 but web interface won't show the sort title) (I figured it out later as sort titles CAN'T have space in them, so deleted the set and re did it with a sort title P1 to P5)
- whole Batman saga (set named Batman with 6 movies, chronological, labelled B1 to B6)
- 2 Conan in a Conan set, chronological, labelled Cn1 and Cn2
- End of Days
- Whole terminator saga (set named Terminator, chronological, labelled T1 to T4)
- The 6th day
- Total recall

All my Schwarzenegger movies are set....
- going to xbmc
- bring up the options (by the way I couldn't find nowhere the code sent to xbmc to use it with a microsoft remote)
- click the search button
- enter schwarzenegger, got an "[actor - movies] Schwarzenegger result, selected it (wait for selection to load)
- choose Arnold Schwarzenegger in Browse by actors
And voilà...

5 entries in my search result :
- The 6th day
- the Conan set (with 2 movies)
- End of Days
- the whole Terminator set (when Schwarzenegger didn't "really" play in T4 and is not credited in it either in IMDb or themoviedb)
- Total recall

And no Batman & Robin.... When asking about information for this movie in xbmc shows Schwarzenegger in the casting....

As for Tarantino.... I had a set named Tarantino and as I used some sort titles with spaces in them I had to delete set information for each movies, update the db then delete the set... To find that the sort order in xbmc was screwed : Reservoir dogs/pulp Fiction/Jackie Brown/Kill Bill 1/Kill Bill2/Inglorious Basterds were in that order between Takers and the Terminator set... I shut donw xbmc, relaunched it without any improvement. So I tried to make it right...

Added movies (both as actor and/or director) and found that the previous sort title wasn't erased for all movies, obviously something is wrong with that sort title field or the relation with the set name (every change HAS to be followed by a browser reload or the web interface won't show the ACTUAL information), so I had to use a new name for the set.

I choose QTarantino :
- Reservoir dogs (actor & director) 1992 labelled Tar1
- Pulp Fiction (actor & director) 1994 labelled Tar2
- Four rooms (actor & director) 1995 labelled Tar3
- Desperado (actor) 1995 labelled Tar4
- Jackie Brown (director) 1997 labelled Tar5
- Kill Bill 1&2 (director) 2003-2004 labelled Tar6 & 7
- Sin City (special director) 2005 labelled Tar8
- Grindhouse/Death Proof/Planet terror (actor & director) 2007 labelled Tar9
- Sukiyaki Western Django (actor) 2007 labelled Tar10
- Inglorious Basterds (actor & director) 2009 labelled Tar11

I did another set named From Dusk Till Dawn with 3 movies, chronologically sorted by labels Dusk1 to Dusk3 : Tarantino plays only in the 1st one.

Performs a search in xbmc about Tarantino [actor], confirm Quentin Tarantino in browse by actors and... Bingo ! One result, the whole QTarantino set, with it's 11 movies when I should only get 8 !

Another search for Tarantino as director gives also the whole QTarantino set with 11 movies when the result should also be 8 !
Well.... Silence... ?
I'm sorry - you wrote a whole page of info and most folk were overwhelmed Smile

Distill it down to EXACTLY how to reproduce the problem with, say, 3 movies tops. Ideally you'd also provide a sample filesystem (eg nfo files with dummy movie files) for others to reproduce.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

I don't get it... Am I a developper (or support crew) or something ?
I showed you (even if it's a half whole page of info) how it happened, or like you said how to produce it and I am to provide the team coding xbmc the tools and material to track down the issue.... ? In what sort of world are we going more and more lately ?

As a (somehow) new fan of xbmc, I spend a (very big) lot of time trying to speed it up, like going thru the strings file recently in order to get rid of misinterpretation, rough translations, to produce a french clean localized implementation of xbmc or trying to manage (by going thru the labyrinth of forum threads) my MCE remote and you want me to output nfo files when, as a developper,you already should have the proper tools to exercise such matter... Without the fact that I had to up the post to get an answer ? (without saying also that these nfo files are just pain in the ass).

You find my previous information to be almost too much ? Ok. Just take either half of it, that'll do it !

Come on.... Whether the xbmc team is looking to upscale this media center winner or they just don't care, it's up to you !

PS: maybe my post was too long for it discribed 2 bugs... Sorry next time, I'll be denser.. (and in case you'd be wondering, I'm not upset, just saying)
Yes, if you want it fixed quickly, then you're going to have to do a little bit of legwork yourself. You've already done a bunch of great work, it's just not aligned with the sort of work we need to be able to respond quickly. If you don't, then that's cool as well - it just will not be fixed quickly, but it will eventually be fixed.

Like your time, my (and other developers) time is very limited. If there's a bug then the quickest way we'll get it fixed is if we can reproduce it immediately. If we can't then it will be put into a queue behind those bugs that we can reproduce immediately.

Thus, providing a simple set of files that allows a developer to reproduce the problem is the fastest way to get a fix for the problem. It's fine if you don't have the time to do so, it'll just mean it may take longer before it's fixed.

EDIT: Hmm, you say you don't use nfo files? How then do you have set information available?

Cheers,
Jonathan

jmarshall Wrote:EDIT: Hmm, you say you don't use nfo files? How then do you have set information available?

Cheers,
Jonathan

I'm using firefox by allowing http control and accessing the database thru my computer IP. And no, I don't use nfo files.
Right, and what http control are you using on firefox? The XWWM add-on?

yes, XWMM on port 80, user : xbmc without password.
Well, i just tried the AWX web interface, a little bit faster and nicer but it only showed me 305 movies (when I have 418) and none of my sets (113 movies in 31 sets).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Actor search issue0