[AppleTV2] How to put ATV to sleep with harmony 880 remote?
I’m using a harmony 880 remote to control the TV and the ATV2 in my bedroom and it works great for the most part. However, when I press the OFF button on the harmony to turn everything off, the TV turns off, the light on the ATV turns off for a second then comes back on. I turn on the TV manually to see whats happening and the ATV is still on, with XBMC one step further from where I was previously, as if I pressed the OK button.

I get around it by going to the shut down button at the bottom and quitting back to the ATV frontrow menu, then I press the OFF button on the harmony, the ATV comes back on, then it turns off after 15 minutes with the auto sleep.

Is there a better way to do that? Its a little annoying to quit back to frontrow before every shutdown. I know some suggest to leave the ATV on 24/7 but I rather not do that.

Thank you
bump
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.p...st12440551

Quote:According to Apple, current draw of the TV 2 when sleeping is 0.76w; while streaming HD it's 2.08w. If you watch it for 3 hours a day and let it sleep the rest of the time, that averages out to 22.2w/day x 365days ÷ 1000 = 8.103kWh per year. Where I live, average energy cost is 15.01 cents/kWh, so my ATV costs me a whopping $1.22 per year to operate. I'm not losing any sleep over that.

If you really wanted to save power then get a smart strip for your entertainment system. It does some kind of voodoo magic where it detects if the TV (or other device in a special outlet) is on or off, and then turns the other devices plugged into the strip on or off based on the TV.
I ran into same problem, is there a setup in Harmony so I can turn off ATV2 when running XBMC with one touch button.

It is not the $$, I just hate to have electronics running ON all the time (lifespan).
mec9t8 Wrote:I ran into same problem, is there a setup in Harmony so I can turn off ATV2 when running XBMC with one touch button.

It is not the $$, I just hate to have electronics running ON all the time (lifespan).

The only thing you can do is physically disconnect the power from the ATV2. There's no way to power it down from software or a remote command. It's hard wired that way. I like using power strips because then you can shut off all the power, even the standby power the TV uses.
mec9t8 Wrote:I ran into same problem, is there a setup in Harmony so I can turn off ATV2 when running XBMC with one touch button.

Thanks for the power usage details... That is surprisingly cheap! Smile

Also, google is failing me at the moment, but I remember reading for some electrical items, it was better to just leave it in a sleep mode anyway. Powering it on and off causes more damage to the components (having them go hot/cold/hot/cold/hot/cold etc shortens the lifespan)
Ned Scott Wrote:http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.p...st12440551

If you really wanted to save power then get a smart strip for your entertainment system. It does some kind of voodoo magic where it detects if the TV (or other device in a special outlet) is on or off, and then turns the other devices plugged into the strip on or off based on the TV.

I think those numbers make sense with the ATV2 idling in the Apple TV interface but not when its idling in XBMC with quite considerable CPU usage. Just go and touch your atv2, mine emits more than 2W in just heat Smile)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] How to put ATV to sleep with harmony 880 remote?0