Need Help w/ building Music server
I am thinking of building a music server and would like help/suggestions with the build. Here's the specs I would like it to have:

Hardware:
small drive for OS + 2 mirrored drives (for music storage)
low power consumption
backend for XBMC + standalone server (future proof)
Good/ compatible audio card for OS

Software:
Haven't decided on best OS (Windows or Linux)
Auto-Ripping (insert CD and go)/ Media management
Able to store FLAC and Apple Itunes library
Headless server/Able to control with app and/or airplay

Would it be smart to build one or purchase a NAS? My goal is to have a separate music server and video server. This is part one of my project. Your advise is very appreciated. Thank you
not sure why u want 2 different server machines...

most of us here, use single unRAID server to feed our XBMC's around the house....
Thanks for the response Eskro.

I understand that it would be better/easier to set up just one server to manage all data. But being an audiophile/ former DJ, I would like to build a music server that interfaces with XBMC as well as a standalone server (access by some type of Apple/Andriod app). I was looking at the VortexBox software but don't know too much about it. Since you and Poofy (and the rest of the forum) have proven to be very reliable sources when it comes to hardware, I really would like your recommendations.

I currently have a D-Link 321 (mirrored 1 TB drives) which serve up both music and movies to my AppleTV1 w/broadcom card. This has been working fine but I'm looking to do more. My first project is to build this music server with an automatic ripping feature (FLAC and Itunes) and media data management. This should be a lightweight server (2 drives mirrored). Let me know what you guys suggest.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need Help w/ building Music server0