Recent 360 Developments...Possible XBMC360?
Please don't shoot me for bringing this up. I am fully aware of the hurdles behind porting XBMC to 360, and the reasons as to why it hasn't been done up until this point.

I just wanted to point out a few things for anybody on the dev team...

First:

http://code.google.com/p/ffplay360/

FFPlay360 - Full 720 playback on 360 based off of the FFMpeg library:

Quote:Welcome to our release of FFPlay. From Cancerous and JQE
This is using FFmpeg libraries from http:\\ffmpeg.org as ported by Ced2911 This is using SDL as ported by Lantus
This should play allmost all 720p videos. 1080p IS UNSTABLE please don't report it we know about i.

INFO FOR USERS:
A brings up a menu, rewind, Fast Forward, Stop, Play, Pause.
NOTE: Fast Forward, and Rewind might be unstable. It is know and we are working on it.

NOW we have our people to thank.
cOz helped with some coding and solved a issue with running it on JTAGS
Thanks to testers: Blackwolf, JPizzle, Mattie, Razkar, and Trajik.
Thanks for direction and assistance: MaesterRo, Anthony, And node21
Thanks for the libraries Ced2911 and Lantus

Reset_Glitch_Hack for Xbox360 - Run unsigned code on ANY Xbox 360, regardless of dash version

https://github.com/gligli/tools/tree/mas...litch_hack

In very basic terms...you can now use a JTAG programmer to dump your NAND from 360, then execute a glitch using a reset pulse specific to your NAND and run unsigned code on any 360.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is...two of the major reasons I've seen listed in the past as to why there is little interest in XBMC360 development were due to the scarcity of JTAG consoles, meaning more difficult development and a small user base. The other was in regards to the lack of proper libraries for playback on the 360. It would seem, from my understanding, that FFPlay would alleviate this one. The Universal glitch hack, while still in it's infancy, will almost certainly blow the lid off of the 360 homebrew scene.

The third reason I've seen was the overwhelming scale of having to port everything for PPC.

Again...please don't flame me. I'm not trying to raise the same noob-fav question of "WHY YOU NO MAKE ME XBMC360?" I'm trying to say "Hey, this and this just happened. Does that change anybody's opinion at all?"

It may also be in part to the fact that I've not got a JTAG and want a decent media player on my 360...but not entirely. Wink
The apple TV costs $99 and will do substantially more than the 360 described here. With that said, it sounds like there's another team out there pushing a 360 version of ffmpeg. If they can make it do 720p pretty well, they could theoretically port xbmc themselves.
it says flat out that it's using sdl = little or no gpu acceleration. that is, and always has been, the major hinderance.

thus, even if they can do 720p video (pure software for sure), you still have the "minor" problem of the ui running like molassis...
The 360 is a helluva powerful machine, graphically and processing wise. An XBMC port to a closed platform like this would blitz all the atom based machines many run, and at cheaper cost dare I say. Not to mention give the 360 a life way beyond it's production cycle into the future.

It's enevidable. Can't wait.
you better get used to waiting though.
An ATI x1900 class GPU "helluva powerful". That made me laugh out loud Smile
It would be nice, but without GPU I don't think many are going to bother.

natethomas Wrote:The apple TV costs $99 and will do substantially more than the 360 described here.

I second that!
There will absolutely be more users of Xbox 360 consoles since the RGH hack.

I am not an expert, but is it very difficult and boring to make a port that could take advantage of the GPU?
jillripper Wrote:There will absolutely be more users of Xbox 360 consoles since the RGH hack.

I am not an expert, but is it very difficult and boring to make a port that could take advantage of the GPU?

Difficult: Yes, you probably have to write software for graphics card acceleration from scratch. And since nobody exactly knows how the xbox360 works, you'll have to reverse engineer it.
Boring: Depends on what you find boring and what not right?
Even if all these software hurdles magically disappeared, why would anyone choose the $300 Xbox, which is bulky, requires a power brick, and emits a constant noisy rattle whenever it's turned on, when the $100 AppleTV already runs XBMC just fine without any of these drawbacks?
eg4190 Wrote:Even if all these software hurdles magically disappeared, why would anyone choose the $300 Xbox, which is bulky, requires a power brick, and emits a constant noisy rattle whenever it's turned on, when the $100 AppleTV already runs XBMC just fine without any of these drawbacks?

I think the big interest in the 360 would be because of the original xbox. The video games, emulation etc..

Quote:I think the big interest in the 360 would be because of the original xbox. The video games, emulation etc..

It would be pretty cool to have everything running on one box, but of course the 360 works differently than the Xbox 1. Namely, there is Microsoft's ability to keep hacked consoles off of Xbox Live -- which will probably never have a permanent workaround -- and disable playback of newer games without upgrading the Dashboard (which requires a successful sign-in to Live, or an exhausting hack).

MS's tactics basically ensure that the 360 will never work hassle-free as both a fully-functioning console and an XBMC machine -- users would have to give up some ability to play 360 games in order to run XBMC, even assuming every other problem were solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recent 360 Developments...Possible XBMC360?0