[Feature Request] Volume Control
I know a whole new audio engine system is in the making, but I would really like is that in the current audio code it would be made possible to control the volume, just like on other xbmc systems.

My problem is that I use a Digital to Analogue converter, which is than connected to two little amplifiers (1 for left 1 for right). These little amps are in a unreachable spot and have no remote to control them (they can be crancked up by a screwdriver). These leaves me with absolutely no audio volume control Sad
Audio Control will never work... The audio tracks just get passed through hdmi or optical out. If you want something like volume control the audio must be transcoded to increase/decrease volume. IMO this is not a good idea on such a small device like the atv2.
regnets Wrote:Audio Control will never work... The audio tracks just get passed through hdmi or optical out. If you want something like volume control the audio must be transcoded to increase/decrease volume. IMO this is not a good idea on such a small device like the atv2.

You are not right. It depends on the source material and what are your settings.
Passthrough means, not all audio is 1:1 handed over to the the amp. When mp3's are played back, then you have decoding and playback of PCM audio, where we could controll the volue level.
I didnt know that. I thought that was the reason for the missing volume control.
regnets Wrote:Audio Control will never work... The audio tracks just get passed through hdmi or optical out. If you want something like volume control the audio must be transcoded to increase/decrease volume. IMO this is not a good idea on such a small device like the atv2.

Firecore's Media Player has volume control so...
menno Wrote:I know a whole new audio engine system is in the making, but I would really like is that in the current audio code it would be made possible to control the volume, just like on other xbmc systems.

My problem is that I use a Digital to Analogue converter, which is than connected to two little amplifiers (1 for left 1 for right). These little amps are in a unreachable spot and have no remote to control them (they can be crancked up by a screwdriver). These leaves me with absolutely no audio volume control Sad

No one is going to work on something that will just be replaced by the time they're done working on it. And with all the stuff there is to do for XBMC at any given time it would be a waste. Anyone able to add that ability into XBMC would rather just work on the new Audio Engine in the first place so that it would be done faster.

However... here's some suggestions that might hold you over:

•in-line volume control adapters, like the kind they sell for headphones. I've actually done something similar to what you are trying to do with one of these.

•old stereo system with aux inputs. Don't use them as an amp, but as a pre-amp. Your digital-to-analog converter would go to aux, then the amps would connect to the headphone output. The best part? Most old home stereo systems that are just sitting around also have remote controls for the volume. (a dedicated pre-amp with remote costs a few hundred dollars, which is just absurd if you ask me)

Anything else I could think of would end up costing more than it would be worth. Both these solutions should be under $20 USD and in some cases free if you ask family/friends if they have an adapter or old stereo just collecting dust.
unfortunately my whole setup resides under my bath, wich makes IR remotes and old stereos impossible.

Ill just have to live with one volume for now....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Feature Request] Volume Control0