Advanced control over "Sync playback to display" function
It would be nice to have an advanced user setting to force speed-up/slow-down of certain frame rates to render at another fps -- for example, always slow PAL to NTSC rates or vice-versa. There is precedent for allowing this kind of user control, as the "Adjust refresh rate" option does allow user overrides in advancedsettings.xml.

This option would be most useful for allowing users to optimally convert PAL <--> NTSC for their specific hardware setup. For example, my 120Hz TV will only accept 60Hz input at 1080p, and I would like to be able to set XBMC to always slow 25fps PAL to 24fps NTSC for display on it. Not only do I find the regular 3:2 cadence of 24fps @ 60Hz to be less jarring than 25fps @ 60Hz, but I can also turn on motion interpolation on my TV for perfectly smooth playback with 24fps only (it doesn't really work with 25fps content since the cadence isn't as regular). Currently on Dharma 10.1, "Sync playback to display" is successfully speeding-up 23.976fps videos to 24fps, but it doesn't do anything at all with 25fps videos. In most cases the internal logic of the "Sync playback to display" option works great, but in cases like this, playback could be much smoother with an override option to convert to 24fps.

(As an aside, I am aware that this can be achieved in a round-about sort of way for people who have TVs that will accept 24Hz input, by using the advanced settings for "Adjust refresh rate". Adding the ability to control "Sync playback to display" would be more powerful and allow people with TVs that don't accept 24Hz input to do the same thing.)
**bump**

Is there already some way to do this that I just don't know about? I asked in the help/support forums but didn't get any responses, so I assumed that it wasn't possible.

If not, what are the chances that such a feature will be implemented? On XBMC for Xbox, it was an easy option to "Play PAL videos at NTSC rates", and while "Sync playback to display" is much more powerful than that, it would be quite useful to have more control in the scenarios I described above.
The biggest problem with this is you can't resample audio if passthrough is used.
Thanks so much for your response -- and all your work on XBMC!

I'm already resampling audio with no noticeable change in quality, so the inability to passthrough really isn't an issue for me. My problem is that I can't get 25fps video to play smoothly. 24fps is perfectly smooth after motion interpolation on my TV, but 25fps just won't work the same on a 120Hz TV. This could be solved by slowing down all PAL content to play at 24fps, but unless I'm mistaken, there currently isn't any way to do this unless you are also adjusting refresh rate to match video (which isn't an option for me). Does that make sense?
transcode it using some other app. xbmc is not designed to do sample rate video conversions.
davilla Wrote:transcode it using some other app. xbmc is not designed to do sample rate video conversions.

Actually it is, it can speed up 24 fps to 25, the other way around is theoretically possible too.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advanced control over "Sync playback to display" function0