Cheapest 16 HDD's Capable unRAID Server Build Money can buy!!
eskro Wrote:Corsair 500W has a single raiL
and thats what you want when using an unRAID Server...

its +12v Rail has 34A which means it can handle 17 'Green' drives!

So your definitely 'Safe' when using 16 Green HDD's with this build,,,,

Thanks for these great builds! Looking to config my own mediaserver. First of all i'm planning on running a Media-File server + Download + Tv Backend.

I came with this config. (still in drawing phase Wink )

ASRock 880G PRO3
Fractal Design Define XL
AMD Athlon II X2 245e Boxed
+ RAM

My server will be running max 14 disks (max of case), also i've currently 2 PCI DVB-C cards which i need for my Tv-Backend. I chose the ASRock 880G Pro because of the multiple PCI + PCI-e which will let me expand with both SATA-controller + DVB-C controller(s).

My questions,

1. Any suggestions with regards to my setup? I upgraded the CPU to a Dual-Core to be able to Download, File-serve and Tv-backend

2. Which power would suit me? Can the 500W Corsair handle 14 disks together with the extra CPU power and the DVB-C cards? (Btw will be running green drives!)

Thanks in advance!
HTPC + Mediaserver
E8400 - ABIT I-N73HD - 2GB DDR2 - 3.5TB - Geforce G210 - ANTEC FUSION V2 - Ubuntu 10.04 - XBMC-PVR

TV-Server
Ubuntu 10.04 - Tvheadend - Smargo Reader - Oscam Card Server - 2x PCI DVB-C
i say get the ANTEC 620C PSU....
eskro,
I used your guide(great guide by the way). I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. I am using the mobo you suggested but once I get more than 12 drives it fails to find my flash drive to boot unraid. I figured I am missing something in the bios, is there anything I should have to change is the bios to handle more than 12 drives.

Thanks for any input.
hmm,,, not really.. best to ask ASROCK about it.
Hi Eskro,

Thank you for the great guides. I am getting ready to build this flavor #3 based on your recipe, but I notice some of the links go to deactivated products. While they are still acquireable via other sites, I tend to appreciate buying from NewEgg & Amazon and the sites you suggest (hopefully you are using affiliate links to reward yourself for this very useful work). Some of the other sites that do carry these products in stock don't have great ratings at the moment and may not be as dependable. I was wondering if you have any suggestions on replacements for the following items?

Again, I understand I may be able to find these parts from other vendors with google shopping. So please don't think I'm asking you to waste your time finding other vendors. Thank you very much for all your recipes.

CrazyJack

Quote:[MOBO+iGPU] ASROCK 880GM-LE AM3 HD4250 Micro-ATX ($55 + $5)
Out of stock / Deactivated at New Egg

Quote:[RAM] Kingston ValueRAM 1GB (1x1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1066Mhz CL7 ($9 + $0)

Quote:also needed, a Molex To 4-SATA Power Connector cables ($8)

Quote:* MySQL Database/SABnzbd/CouchPotato/Sick Beard users, Upgrade CPU & RAM accordingly
Suggestions for this based on changes in MB would be appreciated. If you simply recommend a different vendor to acquire the same MB are there other CPUs you would recommend to supply more CPU horsepower? I haven't tracked CPU brands / quality lately so your experience would be most helpful.
Actually, I suppose I can just use the mother board specified for the 20 drive recipe. That MB seems to still be in production, and I would assume should suffice.

True?
yes. you can definitely use the 20 drive recipe motherboard for flavor #3...

but here's another good candidate for a 12-to-18 drives unRAID server
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813157292
with this board, no major expenses from 0 to 12 drives,,.
but when u need 13 drives or more, then, you need to get that $100 sata 8port card....

and as CPU, any of these 3...
1- http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name...01b589acaf
2- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6819103911
3- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as..._-19103936

Smile If you feel like thanking me for my work, you can do so Here Smile
Hi there - if i wanted to run windows home server 2011 on this rig, would the motherboard and cpu suffice - i presume that i would need to increase the ram - would 2 gig suffice?
well i dont use window home server but,
i recommend at least 4GB for windows in general....

and as CPU, well, at least a dual core.
(2012-02-27, 07:51)eskro Wrote: but here's another good candidate for a 12-to-18 drives unRAID server
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813157292
with this board, no major expenses from 0 to 12 drives,,.
but when u need 13 drives or more, then, you need to get that $100 sata 8port card....

Smile If you feel like thanking me for my work, you can do so Here Smile

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm still pretty new to CPU building:

Can anyone explain to me how you hook up 12 SATA drives when there are only 6 SATA ports on this motherboard? Thanks in advance..
(2012-07-20, 05:47)ekirred Wrote: Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm still pretty new to CPU building:

Can anyone explain to me how you hook up 12 SATA drives when there are only 6 SATA ports on this motherboard? Thanks in advance..

By adding a SATA expansion card to the system. 4 port ones are pretty cheap these days so add two of those and you will actually have 14 ports.
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

I had bought the Antec 1200 case from this built. I like the functionality, while I agree that it does look like a gaming case and I would love to get rid of the the blue lighting. Anyhow, that's not what my question is about.

I wanted to replace my PSU, but my IT vendor told me that my case is designed for a "large" PSU and the new and modern PSUs are smaller in size. They could still put in a new PSU, but it can only get screwed in with 2 screws and there will be some form of gap as it does not fully fill the hole left in the case for the PSU.

Any thoughts and/or material to fit a new PSU into this case?

Thanks in advance!!!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
the antec 1200 v3 uses Standard size PSUs...
i dont see any issues here.
I bought "my" Antec 1200 2-3 years ago. I guess that it was not v3. Any idea how to upgrade or any other way to use a "new" PSU?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
Still normal atx, tell you vendor he's a moron. Tongue

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cheapest 16 HDD's Capable unRAID Server Build Money can buy!!0