Menu Flicker on Natty
I've been having this problem when using intel graphics drivers that have accelerated video (like h.264 and VC1) extensions enabled. The menu seems to flicker a bit. I've posted a video on Youtube demonstrating it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkLYtOeFc_A

I run an Intel DG45FC with X4500HD graphics. Ubuntu 11.04. XBMC is pre-eden with VAAPI disabled (I plan to compile a version with this enabled)

It doesn't flicker when videos are playing, which is great. I think it has to do with video acceleration being enabled in the driver, but vainfo gives me

Code:
libva: libva version 0.31.1
libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva: va_openDriver() returns -1
vaInitialize failed with error code -1 (unknown libva error),exit

/etc/X11/xorg.conf doesn't exist, so I don't know where to go to disable this extension if that's what's required. I'll post back when I've compiled XBMC with VAAPI support.

Does anybody know of a solution for this?
bump! similar issue,.. looking for resloution.
Your GPU is not supported. Furthermore this GPU does not have any proper libva / libva-driver-intel support.

And you @nyktovus you bumped a thread from 2011(!) - your issue is for different.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
thanx. i'll look into maybe not using the proper video driver.
that didnt work. says i have the best vid driver.. ideas? running lubuntu 14.04
menus flicker.. video is golden tho
Your GPU is not supported, if it does not help to do: System -> Video -> Acceleration -> Render-Method: Software nothing we can do

One thing you can try if you want to break your system if it goes wrong:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:wsnipex/mesa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

sudo reboot
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
video is too supported.. otherwise it wouldnt have worked when i was running xmbcbuntu.

Smile

no flicker there.
Whatever you say ...
same system, new drive.. i can swap out to the old drive with xbmcbuntu and theres no flicker.. new drive running lubuntu with kodi and theres flicker..

however both systems wont let me exit.
*shrug*
I think you won't get it ... no matter what I tell you. Between 13 and 14 we changed the minimum requirement for GL extension and your old GPU does not provide those extension the way it should be. If the mesa workaround or the SW workaround I told don't work - there is nothing left you can do.

Kodi is moving, but your GPU does not ...
both drives have kodi 15.1
i dont see how one has flicker and the other doesnt..
provide logs from both to compare...

First you said one drive is XBMCbuntu (which isn't kodi in any way!!!!) and the other drive is Lubuntu with Kodi (which is a completely different story....but fritsch told you already)

Now you say both drives run Kodi...so provide logs from both
will do. and yes. they both run kodi, the xmbcbuntu one has been updated.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Menu Flicker on Natty0