Major build questions
Hi,

Im pretty new to this and want to run the system Im planning to build by someone who has done it before. I have done a fair bit of research before posting, but I think asking questions is the best way to figure this stuff out.

I plan to virtualise freenas and mythTV. I will probably buy an old intel duo with 4 gig of ram. The hypervisor will be vmware vmvisor 4.1.0.

The idea around freenas is auto backups and easy access across the network for the whole family. I have no idea if it will run on a hypervisor but I think its safe to assume it will work.

MythTV I want to run on the hypervisor as well and the source will be hdhomerun. This I think this allows flexibility and people seem to swear by them.

The front end will be Apple TV2 running XBMC. I have seen MythTV website saying this platform is not recommended and it seems people have done it but its not clear to me. Im pretty comfortable that for music and videos what I have proposed will probaly work, but Im not sure about the MythTV front end.

The idea is to minimise cost and have an appliance type solution, and convergance as much as possible.

On the subject of convergance I have also considered a pc like the acer revo 100 the Dell Zino and apple mac mini. I dont really wnat to spend that much but if its the only way to get live TV and a PVR then Im open to the idea. It also means I get rid of my DVD player. So any recommendations on these or any other pc that I should look at? I think the Revo is clever but lacks a real remote, so Im doubtful about it. The Zino uses ATi graphics so that leaves apple which I dont reaaly fancy. Maybe make it a live box?

The other plus a PC has over apple TV is that I can surf the web. Is it possible to use a wireless Keyboard and surf the web on an apple TV2? Is the XBMC browser stable?

Any advice or recommendations appreciated:-)
no one got any ideas about this?
still trying to parse exactly what you are asking and what exactly this has to do with xbmc for mac Smile
So the question is?:
"Should I buy an appletv2 or computer (if so which one) for XBMC if I also want to browse the web with a keyboard and mouse?"

I don't think XBMC has a web browser, I don't think it is likely to be included. So probably a computer is a good choice. I have a XS35GTV-2 which is nice.

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
computer if you want to browse the web. xbmc is not a web browser.
ATV2 (black) doesn't run Mac OS X. It runs iOS

if you want an HTPC running Mac OS X then go for ATV1 (silver), mac mini, or try your hand at a hackintosh.
davilla Wrote:still trying to parse exactly what you are asking and what exactly this has to do with xbmc for mac Smile

I could have really simplified it I guess and asked can apple TV2 be an xbmc front end for mythtvSmile
Sorry not getting back to you, it seems the default profile settings does not email me when I have a reply.
pseudo7 Wrote:So the question is?:
"Should I buy an appletv2 or computer (if so which one) for XBMC if I also want to browse the web with a keyboard and mouse?"

I don't think XBMC has a web browser, I don't think it is likely to be included. So probably a computer is a good choice. I have a XS35GTV-2 which is nice.

Yes that's pretty much it, however I would like to know if the ATV2 can run a mythtv front end. I actually remember reading somewhere that there was a web browser plugin for xbmc. But then again, it would be hard work with out a proper kbd. I sometimes watch sport on justintv.
davilla Wrote:computer if you want to browse the web. xbmc is not a web browser.

Thanks Davilla, Ill keep that in mind.
Ned Scott Wrote:ATV2 (black) doesn't run Mac OS X. It runs iOS

if you want an HTPC running Mac OS X then go for ATV1 (silver), mac mini, or try your hand at a hackintosh.

That's intersting, so can a ATV1 take a kbd/mouse and be almost like a mini pc?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Major build questions0