New Llano build--will it work?
My revo died due to water damage and I have been unable to revive it. I've made do by plugging my OG xbox (6-7 year xbmc user here...) back in and streaming content from my netbook...but the thing is noisy and the quality is bad.
Considered a replacement revo, but I can't get one for the price I paid anymore and it had some struggles--video content all played perfect with ion, but the atom chip is weak and especially on linux, even flash performance was bad.

Looking to go pretty low budget on a full htpc with the option to expand a bit later (if I want a capture card/discrete graphics/more storage/blu-ray). Want it quiet and low-power usage.

Here is what I am looking at:
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 380 - $39.99
Case: Silverstone ML03B - $59.99
CPU: Probably a A4-3400 for $69.99 but I could be convinced to go for a A6 or A8 (although here it jumps to 100W) if there is compelling reason or the price is right.
Mobo: Need help here--need hdmi video/audio and internal headers that match the case. I want something on the cheap end that is solid with no active cooling. Wifi is not required (but a mini-pci-e slot is a nice bonus in case I need it later). Maybe this gigabyte for $89.99 with a $14 combo discount on an A4-3400?
Total: ~246.

I can figure out ram to match, and I may just start out with the laptop hdd salvaged from my revo (or some other hdd I have laying around). I'm not a huge hoarder so space isn't an issue.

I am pretty confident that this should be able to handle any sort of video I throw at it in xbmc. What about amazon and netflix streaming?
How do these amd llano setups work with linux? I preferred my revo's linux setup to win7 but I would consider it (and will probably dual boot for access to occasional netflix and blu-ray if they don't have linux playback figured out when I decide to add a drive).

Finally, I want it to be able to play a few games...namely DDR and rock band knockoffs. Stepmania should run fine (it ran fine on the revo or even on my old p3 laptop), but I am concerned about FoFiX. It uses a little 3d which killed my revo but not cutting edge by any means. My Conroe E6750 with a radeon x1950pro seems overpowered for it so I am hoping this setup will run it without discrete graphics.
again, and again, dont use ATI + Linux!!!
if you plan on using Linux, use NVIDIA + LINUX!!

Now the A4-3400 is as strong as a ATHLON X2 2502...
this means its the perfect low budget APU
that will make your HTPC do it all,,,

only thing here is the gaming part,
as always, when users wanna run particular games,
they have to know the specs required for those games and yeah, use hardware for it,,,

one thing im not sure is the height of the
APU's HeatSinkFAN,,,
it might not fit in slim cases,,,
thats something u have to check,,,

oh yeah and, there's a A6-3600 Llano 65W Quad-Core
http://www.provantage.com/amd-ad3600ojgx...AMD2M2.htm

video info --> AMD Llano APU A4/A6/A8 Series Overview
is ati and linux still that bad? I thought they made a commitment to put out some good drivers (even if they are binary only).

Is there anything similar that I can do with intel? I don't know that I can do i3 for as little money and then I still don't have perfect linux support without buying a discrete card.

Maybe I will just go with win7 then...although I had a pretty sweet setup (netbook remix for small screens is also perfect for large screens from far away)

As to that A6-3600...why cant I find it on sale anywhere? That link you posted is the first place that has had one in stock but its almost the same price as the A8s at newegg...
Although from some of the other builds here, it looks like I could do a normal amd chip with that GT210 for only a little more money (since I could get a cheaper version of the mobo without hdmi).

The gpu is fanless and shouldn't raise power or cooling requirements too much (can I still get by with a 380w psu and the GT210?)
380w is more then enough
Ok, definitely going with llano (probably a A6-3500 unless prices fall before I order).

I've decided to give windows a try so the amd graphics isn't an issue--I've been using spotify (win-only) at work lately and it would be nice to have access to that from my htpc...ditto easy blu-ray playback.

is there any affordable blu-ray player that looks particularily good with the silverstone case? I could always stealth one...but one that looks good would be better.
ottothecow Wrote:is there any affordable blu-ray player that looks particularily good with the silverstone case? I could always stealth one...but one that looks good would be better.

samsung's are nice

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Llano build--will it work?0