i3 or LLano (a6-3500) or G530
Framerate on mine is dropping down to 15-17 when VCPU hits 100%. The I3 IS capable of playing these files, as they play fine in WMC with Shark's codecs pack. It's something to do with XBMC's player. I'm told there's a workaround involving dsplayer which is no longer being developed but it sounds like an awful lot of frustration.
I manually created a resolution on mine of 1080P with 23.976 timing and in a few minutes of viewing I have not seem the frame drop count increase at all. Also I disabled XBMC video acceleration just as a test. CPU never goes above 20%.

I expect maybe you are having a codec problem or a problem with an add in player that you are using with XBMC. i3 should be more than capable of playing full BD MKV files. I am playing full BD rip of Avatar at the moment and the i3 is not skipping a beat.
voip-ninja Wrote:I manually created a resolution on mine of 1080P with 23.976 timing and in a few minutes of viewing I have not seem the frame drop count increase at all. Also I disabled XBMC video acceleration just as a test. CPU never goes above 20%.

I expect maybe you are having a codec problem or a problem with an add in player that you are using with XBMC. i3 should be more than capable of playing full BD MKV files. I am playing full BD rip of Avatar at the moment and the i3 is not skipping a beat.

I'm just running a plain-Jane install of 10.1. No add-ons or special players or anything. The only time it drops frames is with large 1080p files, and even then it's only during panning, etc. CPU stays around 28%, but VCPU is tapped out at 100% when it happens.

According to other posts in the support forum this is a known issue with Intel graphics and XBMC.
I am not using the intel graphics so I guess I misunderstood the issue. Also I am still dropping a frame here or there, so I am not sure what is going on. Intel does not support true 23.976 but nvidia is supposed to.

You can try playing with the XBMC options that resync and resample video to see if it helps.
Also note. XBMC will often drop a few frames or even re-sync sometimes as the movie starts to play on my rigs but the framedrops stop after that will remain fixed for a whole 2 hour movie during my testing. Same thing on the I3 and Celeron Sandy Bridge rigs we used.

I tested avatar using SW decode on the built-in graphics with a 2.6 Ghz Sandy Bridge celeron and it worked fine too...
What was the size of that Avatar file out of curiosity?
I'm still getting horrible frame rates in 1080 files. Someone in the support forum had suggested trying the 11.0 nightlies as they may do better with Intel graphics. But you guys are able to play 10-14GB files at a constant frame rate? 10.1 or what?

For the record I'm running an I3 2100T with 4Gb of RAM under Windows 7 32bit. I've tried turning off hyperthreading support at someone else's suggestion to no effect.

The hardware acceleration option creates horrible blocking and artifacting. Anything else I should try?
Headcase_Fargon Wrote:I'm still getting horrible frame rates in 1080 files. Someone in the support forum had suggested trying the 11.0 nightlies as they may do better with Intel graphics. But you guys are able to play 10-14GB files at a constant frame rate? 10.1 or what?

For the record I'm running an I3 2100T with 4Gb of RAM under Windows 7 32bit. I've tried turning off hyperthreading support at someone else's suggestion to no effect.

The hardware acceleration option creates horrible blocking and artifacting. Anything else I should try?
I'm not a fan of iGPU. I would get one of these to go along with your capable i3 CPU- GT430 or HD6450 (I preferred HD6450). And your other question, the Avatar ISO is 45+GB!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Headcase_Fargon Wrote:I'm still getting horrible frame rates in 1080 files. Someone in the support forum had suggested trying the 11.0 nightlies as they may do better with Intel graphics. But you guys are able to play 10-14GB files at a constant frame rate? 10.1 or what?

Yes!! I was having similar problems with the iGPU in the i3 until I figured out that "display full screen window instead of true fullscreen" was turned on.

IGPU seems to be really working a treat. With sync options turned on I am getting solid 080p/24 to my RXV1800 and 65VT30.
voip-ninja Wrote:Yes!! I was having similar problems with the iGPU in the i3 until I figured out that "display full screen window instead of true fullscreen" was turned on.

IGPU seems to be really working a treat. With sync options turned on I am getting solid 080p/24 to my RXV1800 and 65VT30.
Not many Intel i3 iGPU users are happy with it though. Poofy ripped it in this thread- Intel Sandy Bridge CPU integrated GPU?.
Whatever floats people's boats. I seem to be having better luck wi it than I was having with GT440. It's also worth noting that 1080i performance for recorded TV, which is a big deal to many here, matters zero to me.
voip-ninja Wrote:Yes!! I was having similar problems with the iGPU in the i3 until I figured out that "display full screen window instead of true fullscreen" was turned on.

Edit: Nevermind, I found this setting. It was indeed enabled and disabling it seems to have improved it a tad bit. 3:10 to Yuma was still dropping down to 16fps pretty consistently though. Not sure how much of a difference it made. What else ya got? Smile
Headcase_Fargon Wrote:Where is this setting found? Inside XBMC or what?

Headcase_Fargon Wrote:Edit: Nevermind, I found this setting. It was indeed enabled and disabling it seems to have improved it a tad bit. 3:10 to Yuma was still dropping down to 16fps pretty consistently though. Not sure how much of a difference it made. What else ya got? Smile

What model and resolution is your display capable of doing? What tool did you use to rip the BDs?

I have played MKVs with extremely high bit rate like Star Trek 2010 and Have got solid 1080P/24 with no frame drops or slow downs. I just watched Empire BD (ripped to MKV) and did not have one dropout or sync glitch during the entire movie.

I know people have dished hate on the i3 iGPU but right now I am not seeing a problem with it.
voip-ninja Wrote:I know people have dished hate on the i3 iGPU but right now I am not seeing a problem with it.
In my opinion people should try the iGPU first and if they are not satisfied with it then go for a discrete graphics card.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
i3 or LLano (a6-3500) or G5300