Potential HTPC build
Balinus Wrote:If only the iGPU was good Smile
iGPU can be turned off and you can leave all the stuff just on CPU and sw decoding
i mean fo H6x boards you have display adapter and you have cpu which is powerfull enough to do sw decoding of video content. So why to bother with hw acceleration, when with cpu you don't need to care about what is accelerable and what is not? And regarding power consuption? well... having extra gpu or having cpu decoding... i think that cpu will consume less then having extra gpu for that...
For simplicity you're right, why bother!

For efficiency, I'm not sure that CPU will consume less power, as GPU are meant to decode videos while CPU are a "do everything" unit.
Balinus Wrote:For simplicity you're right, why bother!

For efficiency, I'm not sure that CPU will consume less power, as GPU are meant to decode videos while CPU are a "do everything" unit.

well one year agou yes. But now? i strongly doubt about that. How much doees dedicated gpu consume? I think that we are speaking about 20W. And system with something like G620 on sw decoding process? I think that if it's not going to be less then system+gpu, it's going to be at least similar value. We should ask guys with wattmeters Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Potential HTPC build0