Movie on screen 2, working on screen 1 (in excel for example)
After looking through the forums here, i couldnt find an answer. Probably this question has been answered before but due to the sheer massiveness of these forums, finding something isnt easy at all!

I have 2 displays, a pc-monitor (1) and a plasma screen (2). XBMC runs on screen 2, but if i want to do something on screen 1, xbmc minimizes, which makes it impossible to look at a movie on screen 2 and do something else on screen 1.

How can i keep xbmc full screen on screen 2, while i am working (so focus is in screen 1) on screen 1?
By default XBMC uses a DirectX mode that is fast, but which won't share the display with any other app, and when some other app gets the focus XBMC is forced to minimise. This is why you're seeing XBMC minimise when you try to work in something else.

You can configure XBMC to use a slower DX mode that will share the screen, but note that you may notice some degradation in video playback. To use the slower mode go to System settings, System, Video and enable the setting "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen".

JR
Thanks, I will try that.

Do you think that in a new version of XBMC this "problem" will be solved, or is this something we have to live with?
PieterTjeToo Wrote:Thanks, I will try that.

Do you think that in a new version of XBMC this "problem" will be solved, or is this something we have to live with?

The problem is in Windows not XBMC. We use the DirectX API provided by Windows. To get the maximum speed requires compromises like not sharing the display.

Most of us use a separate small, cheap, HTPC dedicated to just running XBMC. Many people have tried using XBMC on their work PC using a second display, but most have found it unsatisfactory.

JR
x jhsrennie:

Hi, I'm one of the users that actually doesn't have a dedicated PC and I use my work PC for XBMC but not at the same time.

The main problem with this setup is launching XBMC in full screen in the second display. Of course, you can configure XBMC to be in this display and everytime it will try to start on it.

But I like the idea of having two shortcuts for launch XBMC in my desktop and to launch XBMC using the second display (TV @ FullHD) so I'm trying to reproduce my old setup with WMC.

As far I know, the actual setting is configured in guisettings.xml (settings > videoscreen > screen) so I've searched the way for changing this value before starting XMBC.

Here is the code (I'm using XBMC in portable mode):

Code:
@ECHO OFF

SETLOCAL

SET XML=.\portable_data\userdata\guisettings.xml
SET EXE=.\XBMC.exe

IF "%1"=="0" GOTO WINDOWED
IF "%1"=="1" GOTO DESKTOP
IF "%1"=="2" GOTO EXTENDED
GOTO PARAMS

:WINDOWED
SET SCREEN=-1
SET SCREENMODE=WINDOW
CALL :CHANGE
GOTO RUNXBC

:DESKTOP
SET SCREEN=-1
SET SCREENMODE=DESKTOP
GOTO RUNXBC

:EXTENDED
SET SCREEN=1
SET SCREENMODE=10192001080059.94006
GOTO RUNXBC

:CHANGE
if exist %XML% (
    ECHO * Configuring XBMC with these settings:
    ECHO   SCREEN = %SCREEN%
    ECHO   MODE   = %SCREENMODE%
    ECHO * Changing %XML% file ...
    setxml.exe %XML% @//settings/videoscreen/screen %SCREEN% /display:none
    setxml.exe %XML% @//settings/videoscreen/screenmode %SCREENMODE% /display:none
    ECHO * Changing XML format (no XML version, Unix)
    tail +2 %XML% > guisettings.tail
    dos2unix -q guisettings.tail
    move /y guisettings.tail %XML% > nul
)
GOTO :EOF

:RUNXBC
IF EXIST %EXE% START %EXE% -p
GOTO END

:PARAMS
ECHO %~n0 {option}
ECHO.
ECHO   0 = Windowed
ECHO   1 = Desktop
ECHO   2 = Extended

:END
ENDLOCAL

Note: I've used some external tools (SET2XML, UNIX2DOS and TAIL). Here are the links: http://dos2unix.sourceforge.net/ and http://www.noeld.com/programs.asp?cat=dev#setxml. I don't remember from where I've downloaded tail.exe but is a common Unix tool for Windows.

Please, if some is an expert in PowerShell, probably he could create an script like that for changing this value in the XML file and then launch XBMC (probably, he won't need to use these external tools). An idea here http://powershell.com/cs/blogs/tobias/ar...-data.aspx.

By the way, whats the meaning of SCREENMODE 10192001080059.94006?. I've found the values in my script by looking at the guisettings.xml file after changing to the desired value.

Any better script for lauching XBMC in different displays would be very appreciated.

Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Movie on screen 2, working on screen 1 (in excel for example)0