Video playback stutter on Eden (24fps)
Long time user/reader, first time poster. I love XBMC so much I want to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant (to quote 30 Rock).

I'm using a Zotac Zbox 33 with an Intel Atom/NVIDIA ION2 combo through HDMI to a Samsung TV at 60hz - watching video files mainly at 24hz (adjust frame rate option enabled). DXVA enabled.

This was fine on Dharma, apart from the occasional sync issue. However, on Eden (currently on the October 20th nightly build, but happening on all versions I've tried so far), I've been having problems with 24fps (or 23.98fps) playback. It's all stuttery, but it's completely uniform and evidently not caused by buffering or memory problems. The on-screen debugging seems to confirm this (plenty of RAM left and a CPU load in the 5-10 percent range). (The audio is fine, btw. FWIW.) Also, if I press ESC during playback and go the menu with a player screen at the bottom left, it plays just fine (I assume this is because when I go back to the menu it's back to 60hz).

The weirdest part is that on a recent nightly, I changed back from the Night skin (my preference) to Confluence, and it played smooth as silk. However, when I updated to the most recent (October 20th 2011) nightly, even Confluence was stuttery in exactly the same way. I haven't been able to recreate the circumstances that led to smooth 24fps playback since I can't remember which nightly worked, and I've since deleted the installation file. Since it at first seemed like a skin issue, I've tried several, but all show the same issues. Currently I'm on Alaska Revisited SVN (which I love) watching video at 60fps (obviously not ideal for 23.98 material).

I've searched for similar issues, but I haven't found any answer. Sorry in advance if I used bad strings or if the answer is easily found.

Full pastebin log.
From your log:

Code:
185.10:44:55 T:4636   DEBUG: CWinSystemWin32::SetFullScreen (windowed fullscreen) on screen 0 with size 1920x1080, refresh 60.000000

Your using a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen. Go to System settings, System, Video and disable this setting.

JR
It worked! Thank you so much for the quick response! [happy dance] I love this place!

Quick question: I can't remember ever toggling that switch. Is the fullscreen window the default setting, or did I check it by mistake at some point? Also, what's the reason fullscreen window works beautifully at 60hz, but not when changing the monitor/tv's fps to 24fps? I assume there's a very good reason for it. (If they're incompatible could I make a humble feature request, i.e. enabling change framerate automatically disabes full screen window so boneheads like me won't accidentally check the wrong box? Or maybe not. I'm not necessarily a supporter of dumbing down programs for the sake of people like me.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video playback stutter on Eden (24fps)0