Wake on USB/IR on Acer Revo
Overall I am happy with my experience thus far but I have a little niggle. I cannot wake on USB be it MCE remote or keyboard/mouse.

I have had a search and found this:

Quote:For Wake on IR:
1. Check BIOS Power Management to ensure Wake on USB is enabled.
2. Boot to Linux/XBMC. Check cat /proc/acpi/wakeup from a terminal session. Make sure USB0 is "enabled". If not enabled, add USB0 with the following:
Code:

echo "USB0" | sudo tee /proc/acpi/wakeup

3. Set XBMC to Suspend when Shutdown. Sorry my box isn't on, so I don't have the exact menu in the Setup. Will provide when I can get to my XBMC.
4. Test. Shutdown XBMC. Use IR Power button to bootup.

I added the command above to my /etc/rc.local so that USB0 is always in the wakeup list since mine wasn't originally.

Hope this helps.

Though this is where I struggle. I have never used the terminal.

Can anyone guide me step by step super noob style? T'would be much appreciated!
1) Has Wake on USB been enabled in your BIOS? If not, do it. How to do that is an exercise for the reader.

2)Boot into Linux/XBMC and make sure it's fully up. Connect a keyboard and press CTRL+ALT+<F1-F6> (That's one of the function (F) keys F1-F6, not all of them)

3)Performing the above should switch you to a terminal (TTY) screen. This is where you log in and perform commands. You'll need to log in using a username and password, it's usually xbmc for both on default installations.

4)Perform the following command:
Code:
cat /proc/acpi/wakeup

5)Look at the output and see if USB0 is enabled or not, if not do the following:
Code:
echo "USB0" | sudo tee /proc/acpi/wakeup
This will enable USB wakeup in your acpi power settings.

6)Follow the rest of what you quoted above, i.e. set XBMC to Suspend on Shutdown and then test.
Thanks for taking the time to reply!

The USB0 is indeed disabled.

When I go to enter the next bit of code to enable it I cant find the vertical slash:

... this bit..... |

Any hints? Im using what I believe to be the standard revo keyboard?

Cheers
That symbol is called the pipe. On a standard keyboard, it's located on the backslash key (\) when you hold shift.
Ok, I managed to use a | so thanks!

How do I leave terminal without having to reboot? If I do a hard reset I lose the "USB0" and it reverts to disabled?
CTRL+ALT+F7 should take you back to XBMC assuming a standard install. If that doesn't work try some of the other function keys, one will work.
Thanks for the help all, got there in the end!

But is there any way to add the "usb0" command so I dont have to enter it after every proper restart?
Howdy fellow newbie Smile

I believe what you need to do is this:

To enable the system to be put into the low power suspend mode and to wake up from it, there are a few things you will need to do:

$ sudo nano /etc/rc.local
Then add the following lines:

echo USB0 > /proc/acpi/wakeup
echo EUSB > /proc/acpi/wakeup
echo USB1 > /proc/acpi/wakeup
echo USB2 > /proc/acpi/wakeup
echo USB3 > /proc/acpi/wakeup

exit 0

Ensure the last line of the file is ‘exit 0′ and then save and exit the file.

Found in this excellent blog post, which helped me a great deal when installing XBMC live on a Shuttle XS35GT. Should be the same general process four your Revo.

The last response in the comments is from me, in case you start wondering what else in the post you may need and may not need to do. Pay particular attention to my note about Putty, makes things a great deal easier.

Hope this helps Smile
Orclas Wrote:Howdy fellow newbie Smile

I believe what you need to do is this:

To enable the system to be put into the low power suspend mode and to wake up from it, there are a few things you will need to do:

$ sudo nano /etc/rc.local
Then add the following lines:

echo USB0 > /proc/acpi/wakeup
echo EUSB > /proc/acpi/wakeup
echo USB1 > /proc/acpi/wakeup
echo USB2 > /proc/acpi/wakeup
echo USB3 > /proc/acpi/wakeup

exit 0

Ensure the last line of the file is ‘exit 0′ and then save and exit the file.

Found in this excellent blog post, which helped me a great deal when installing XBMC live on a Shuttle XS35GT. Should be the same general process four your Revo.

The last response in the comments is from me, in case you start wondering what else in the post you may need and may not need to do. Pay particular attention to my note about Putty, makes things a great deal easier.

Hope this helps Smile

Hello, should this work with an htpc with ubuntu 10.04?
I'm new to "Linux world" and I'm trying to wake up from a RF keyboard, suspend option works fine, but I only can exit from suspend mode when I press Power button in my htpc.

The bios has enable s3 mode. and it works properly under windows 7.
Tbh I don't have the slightest clue, my answer was all copy-paste, nothing based on actual knowledge. My Shuttle XS35GT HTPC did however behave exactly as you describe before making that very change.

Why don't you just try what pumkinut wrote in his post? From what I can tell it only changes the acpi setting "temporary" in the way that it's not reboot persistant (and therefore hopefully fail safe). If that in turn works, then it may be time for rc.local and echo commands.

How come you run XBMC on top of Ubuntu if it's not your primary choice of OS (or do you not actually run XBMC)? If wanting to use XBMC without, for example, having to fork out for a windows licens, it seems easier to me to go straight for a Live install. OK, any tinkering "under the hood" does end up being full command prompt style in such case, but if you've ever used a command prompt you'll probably be fine.
Cheers for this thread! My Revo now turns on/off from remote!

Only thing is now that it used to always do 24hz @ 1080p. Now it's stuck on 60 and I can't make it stay!

Any suggestions??

Edit - scratch that poor description! I'll start my own thread! Thanks for giving me remote control on/off!
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wake on USB/IR on Acer Revo0