Large Delay at Start playing movies
Hi all,

Recently I moved my loved xbox for a beautiful AppleTV2, not for HD content, but I have a big problem when i want to play a movie, it takes over 30 sec to start playing before selected.

I'm using the latest nightly build (updated daily).
I access via samba to all my SD content in Library mode (over 2000 movies).
I've changed advancedsettings with <statfiles>false</statfiles> and <useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart> but after check the xbmc log i see a big delay with:

DEBUG: ScanForExternalSubtitles: END (total time: 30909 ms)

http://pastebin.com/PQkDnNFA

I think is strange this delay, any ideas?

Thanks a lot for your help and for the xbmc (after 10 years than I love it).

PD: Sorry my poor English
I just want to add that I was having a similar issue with SMB share when the directory has many (hundreds) files. It's much better now (about 3sec) with NFS protocol and minimizing connection latency between ATV2 and NAS as close as I can ( both wired to one same router side-by-side ). At least in my case, XBMC was opening the current directory again to scan for subtitle files. Not sure why it doesn't seem to use the cached info.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=113144
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=108773
Thanks fly2thesun, i'll try NFS but i can't understand what is looking for about 40 seconds in some cases the ScanForExternalSubtitles.

I'll check NFS.

PD: I'm wired too AppleTV <-router-> iMac
Nobody with the same problem?, NFS reduce the problem but it's a long delay too.

I've must return to smb, I have a lot of problems with the other house pc's
How many files are in that directory and what types of files are in there?
If you only have one directory with hundreds/thousands of files in it there is going to be a delay while they are searched. This is particularly true if there are zip/rar archives in there.
My library is composed by 4 volumes (one for each USB Hard Disk), each directory could have 800 avi files (with their .tbn, .nfo and fanart), only a few movies have subtitles (less than 1%, no zip, no rar, only srt).

I would like deactivate the subtitles, but i can't find the option, in the osd i deactivate subtitles for all movies but don't cause effect.

Do you think a big number of directories with less movies in each will reduce the delay?, if true I'll do it, but will destroy all the access to other PC's (or made it very confuse).

Thanks a lot for your help
Did you include the <samba></samba> tags when you turned off statfiles?
Are included but no cause effect, the last movie checked (SD Movie around 2 GB) delay 39 seconds. The looking for inexistent subtitles is movin' crazy me...

Thank you again
This drives me crazy too. I only have the delay when there are subs in the same folder though, it doesn't delay if there are no subs on mine.
Well, last try, last build... same problem Sad, any chance of deactivate the search of subtitles?

Rethanks
g-off Wrote:Did you include the <samba></samba> tags when you turned off statfiles?

Forgive a bit of a highjack, but what does <statfiles>false</statfiles> do? I'm not finding it documented anywhere? Or I might be blind...

NVM: Found it should be in a <samba></samba> wrapper.
From the Advancedsettings.xml wiki:

<statfiles>true</statfiles> <!-- Set to false to disable smb stat() on files to speed up listings of large directories (over slow links) -->

But in my case don't speed up the start of movies, perhaps because look for inexistent subtitles Sad
Checked again with the latest nightly build and... Better performance, GREAT!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Large Delay at Start playing movies0