Organize home videos
Folks,
I am trying to figure out how I can separate my own home videos from my movie collection.

Tried a few things -
1) While adding the home videos, I set the type to movie. But then this results in my home videos getting mixed up with my other movies
2) Set content type to NONE while adding the home videos. This results in the movie library not being updated. Setup a smart playlist (pointing to the volume location of the home videos) and then mapped this to a home menu button "home videos". When I navigate to the "home videos" menu, I have to switch to file view to see the home videos. This is very tedious.

Can someone point me to a more current link that explains how I can get this working. There must be a easy way to do this.
Should I be using file view instead of library in my case?

PS: I tried to google this topic but I only had luck with some very old threads from (2009) that kind of explain this.

Setup consists of Aeon nox running on a mac mini running lion
I have all my home movies in the "Pictures" section. Just add it as a source there and you can browse and play.
I wanted to be able to add a separate main menu item like say "Home Videos" and add the home videos only under that

I understand that one option is to use a smart list that looks for the home videos in a particular location and then associate this list with a menu item. I did this and it worked as long as i use file view in that menu section i.e. "Home videos".
As soon as I enter-exit the "Movies" section, the view defaults to library mode. So next time I enter the "Home Videos" section, I have to manually switch back to file mode so I can see my home videos there. This is tedious.
Is there a way I can customize the view type i.e folder or file versus library on a per menu section basis?
Or maybe even set the view type to file for everything?
when you add the source to pictures, just add that source to favorites and add the favorite link to the home page
So I think I finally figured out how to implement this

1. Added movie source and let scraper pick up the information online
2. Added a smart playlist for the movies (filtering on path where the movies are located)
3. Mapped a menu button to the smart list and hid the original "movies" button that was auto-created when the moves were imported in the first place

4. Added "home videos" source
5. But before I did that, I created <moviename>.nfo files for the home movies and placed them in the same directory as the home videos. This way the scraper skips contacting the movie DBs online
6. Repeated steps 2 and 3 for home videos

<Note for mac users. While creating a .nfo file try and use a shell editor like vi or emacs to create the nfo files. Textedit appends a .txt extension to the nfo files because of which the scraper will not pick them up>

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Organize home videos0