Feature Request to finally replace Windows Media Player
If the following features can be implemented, I can finally get rid of Windows Media Player and use XBMC as my primary general media player.

1. The ability to drag files onto the XBMC window for playback. I.e. all files dragged in are made into a playlist.

2. When running in windowed mode, automatically size the XBMC window to the sie of the media playing. (e.g. if a episode is 640x400, resize XBMC to 640x400)

3. Multi-monitor support. Currently when going from windowed mode to full screen, XBMC always goes the first monitor. Is it possible to make it fullscreen on whichever monitor the window was?
3. In the settings, use Fullscreen #(whichever monitor you want) and check "Use Fullscreen Window rather than True Fullscreen". That's how I have my son's set up and it works fine. He can do his homework on monitor 1 and watch XBMC on monitor 2, which is a Vizio 32" HDTV.
Using ATI 6670 with the latest drivers. Not sure it works on every possible video card and computer the same way.
As for the other two features, I can't see I can possibly see the utility of either of those. You set up libraries. XBMC "drags" the file in for you, set up your own playlists. XBMC is supposed to be a front end media center, not a windowed app running in the corner while you browse the internet.
clubwerks Wrote:As for the other two features, I can't see I can possibly see the utility of either of those. You set up libraries. XBMC "drags" the file in for you, set up your own playlists. XBMC is supposed to be a front end media center, not a windowed app running in the corner while you browse the internet.

True, and I understand that XBMC is aimed at a home theater. I run one XBMC downstairs on the TV and another upstairs on my computer. Both are synced using MySQL and symbolic linked thumbnails.

I was just thinking XBMC is so close to replacing Windows Media Player for me, its just those last few features that I really miss. Seeing as though you can already play files directly from file using the builtin File Manager, I coudn't think that I would be too difficult to implement drag and drop.

I tried changing the settings to using a window instead of a true fullscreen, but XBMC always reverts back to going fullscreen on Monitor 1.
riaanc Wrote:I was just thinking XBMC is so close to replacing Windows Media Player for me, its just those last few features that I really miss. Seeing as though you can already play files directly from file using the builtin File Manager, I coudn't think that I would be too difficult to implement drag and drop.

How could you possibly compare media player to XBMC?
Try drag-and-drop on Windows Media Center. It doesn't work either. Like said XBMC is a home theatre application.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
riaanc Wrote:True, and I understand that XBMC is aimed at a home theater. I run one XBMC downstairs on the TV and another upstairs on my computer. Both are synced using MySQL and symbolic linked thumbnails.

I was just thinking XBMC is so close to replacing Windows Media Player for me, its just those last few features that I really miss. Seeing as though you can already play files directly from file using the builtin File Manager, I coudn't think that I would be too difficult to implement drag and drop.

I tried changing the settings to using a window instead of a true fullscreen, but XBMC always reverts back to going fullscreen on Monitor 1.

Like I said, I couldn't guarantee that it would work on every application, but it works on my son's computer. The only problem is that when he's doing his homework in monitor 1, XBMC loses focus, so to regain control he has to mouse over and click on XBMC. Not really a big deal to him.
As has already been mentioned, XBMC is not that sort of player. If that is the kind of thing you want, then just use WMP.

XBMC is meant to be run in full screen mode in your living room, with a remote.

What you want, will just never happen. arguing about it wont make it happen either. :-)
HTPC: Motherboard: Asus F2A85-V, CPU: AMD A10 6800K, RAM: Kingston XMP BEAST 16GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, LG CH12NS30 Blu-Ray drive, Samsung, and WD various 2 and 3TB for storage, Windows 8.1, one for all remote/FLIRC, Logitech z906 surround system.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Feature Request to finally replace Windows Media Player0