Recent nightlies not loading up
Hi, wondered if someone could help?

I every now and again, update to the latest nightly build, I have tried on several occasions over the last week or so, but each build won't run. I get the xbmc logo screen, but then a Windows message appears saying "A problem caused the program to stop working" and then it closes the program.

If I then re-install the last build that worked for me 16th October (there may be some after that build, that are ok, but none since the beginning of November), then all is fine.

I realise that nightlies are prone to bugs, just wondered if this was a known issue or if there is something I can do to work out what is wrong? Not sure if a log file would work, bearing in mind I can't get any further than the splash screen?

Many thanks
We need to see a debug log to find out why XBMC is crashing. Using a build that works enable debug logging from System settings, System, Debugging. Install one of the builds that crashes (you can install it into a different directory so you can leave your working installaion intact). Start the new XBMC and wait for it to crash.

Open the debug log by pressing Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

"%appdata%\xbmc\xbmc.log"

(including the quotes). Click OK and the log should open in Notepad. Copy and paste the log into http://pastebin.com/ and post the link it gives you here.

An interesting experiment would be to see if it's something in your profile causing the crashes. Press Windows-R and type:

"%appdata%"

(including the quotes). Click OK and in the Explorer window that opens rename the folder XBMC to something else e.g. XBMC-bak. Now start XBMC and see if it still crashes.

XBMC will create a new XBMC folder when you run it. To get you settings back delete this new XBMC folder and rename XBMC-bak back to XBMC.

JR
Thanks JR, didn't realise that turning the debug log on on another build would then work - will give it a go later and post back.

Cheers for the guidance
Hi,

I've pasted the log - http://pastebin.com/LgyZvxXn

Looks as if it may be something to do with the sql database, but if someone can give me some help, that would be great.

I've also just renamed the profiles folder and restarted and yeah all works fine (wow, hasn't confluence changed!)

Rather than starting again, do you think deleting just the databases would sort out this issue?

Many thanks
The pre-Eden builds should upgrade the v10.1 database the first time you run them. I'd guess the upgrade has gone awry and that's causing the problem. You don't need to delete the whole database. If you look in the XBMC\userdata\Database folder you'll see two copies of each database file. The one ending with a higher number is the one created by the nightly build, so for each pair of database files delete the one ending in the higher number. If you now run the nightly build it will recreate it's database by upgrading your old one.

JR
Thanks JR, worked a treat.

I had to update my library for those movies/tv shows etc... that had been added since the previous db, but all is good.

I still have a few databases in the folder; 4 music and 7 videos; is it safe/wise to delete them and just keep the most recent/highest number or best to keep them all there?

Thanks for your help
You might want to keep the Dharma versions of the database files in case you run into another problem and want to go back to Dharma. If you have more than two copies of the files you can delete the "middle" versions, but I'd take a backup first just in case!

JR
Many thanks JR, will do
i'm having a similar issue, here is my log file....
http://pastebin.com/d3rgwBK0
any ideas?
samzstein Wrote:i'm having a similar issue, here is my log file....
http://pastebin.com/d3rgwBK0
any ideas?

There is a MySQL error at the end of the log. The MySQL code in the current nightlies is flaky, to say the least, so there is little you can do but revert to an older version, wait for the MySQL problems in the nightlies to be fixed or use the internal database rather than MySQL.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:There is a MySQL error at the end of the log. The MySQL code in the current nightlies is flaky, to say the least, so there is little you can do but revert to an older version, wait for the MySQL problems in the nightlies to be fixed or use the internal database rather than MySQL.

JR

I was reading through other posts and and had a thought, I decided to not specify the videodatabase nor the musicdatabase in the advancedsettings.xml. I am now able to use mySQL with my ATV2 with no issues Big Grin. I will next try to get my second ATV2 to use the mySQL created by the first. If it is works I will let you know.

BTW - it created two database MyVideos57 and MyMusic18. I believe for some reason it does not honour the setting in the XML file.
dwfa Wrote:I was reading through other posts and and had a thought, I decided to not specify the videodatabase nor the musicdatabase in the advancedsettings.xml. I am now able to use mySQL with my ATV2 with no issues Big Grin. I will next try to get my second ATV2 to use the mySQL created by the first. If it is works I will let you know.

BTW - it created two database MyVideos57 and MyMusic18. I believe for some reason it does not honour the setting in the XML file.

Just had the same problem I did not specify the DB name either and it went off and created two on the MySQL box just fine.

Previous errors
13:43:16 T:1320 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_video58 [2003](Can't connect to MySQL server on '10.0.0.20' (10055))
13:43:16 T:1320 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_video57 [2003](Can't connect to MySQL server on '10.0.0.20' (10055))
13:43:16 T:1320 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_video56 [

not getting them anymore now, no changes in permissions have been made it does not like it if you specify the db name.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recent nightlies not loading up0