New HTPC and Unraid server. Help choosing components needed.
I am currently looking into buying a HTPC for use with XBMC. I have been reading alot on the web but I still feels like a noobie so I found it easier just to ask here. I have been looking around at your Stickys and found out that I belong in Eskro's group 7. My use will be to play up to 1080P movies with HD-Audio, but I like the idea of being able to play 3D 1080P movies as my long-term plan is a dedicated cinema room with a 3D projector.

I will be running Windows 7 OS.

I find it really hard to find the right components so I ask you; what components for a group 7 HTPC?
-Case/PSU and an SSD OS disk I will be getting myself. So basically motherboard, CPU, RAM, GPU and maybe a silent cooler? is what I need help to choose. Preferably a Mini-ITX motherboard.

It would also be nice if the system was compatible with some kind of remote - harmony series from Logitech for example. But I guess this is something I can figure out myself later.

As I want the HTPC to be as silent as possible I will be storing all my media on an server and stream to the HTPC.

For media storage I was thinking about a computer that runs Unraid. I recently bought 6 Samsung Spinpoint F4EG 2TB disks with this in mind (got them on a sale that mached the pre-flood price). This will give me about 9/9.5TB of pure storage. Using Unraid I can easily add more space in the future.

Like the HTPC, I also need a bit help for choosing components here. Since Unraid is it only task I guess I don't need high performance parts and rather energy-efficient parts as its probably gonna be turned on 24/7.
My only important criteria here is 6 SATA connector on the motherboard.

I will be getting a case and a PSU myself so again its about the 'main' components. Preferably not anything larger than M-ATX.

Suggestions?

Apologies for any writing mistakes, I am norwegian.Laugh

Erling
Check out this thread boss.. http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.p...#msg113242 it should have all the info you need!
for you HTPC, it looks like u checked my HTPC GUIDE...

but read it all because,
i suggest mini-ITX builds and MicroATX builds...
i also tell you which remote/IR receiver to get...
so read ALL my guide lol

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New HTPC and Unraid server. Help choosing components needed.0