Autohotkey plus Harmony 650 :)
First sorry if this has already been covered but I wanted to pass along a use for Harmony remotes that I find valuable and scores very high wife approval.

I use Windows 7 for the OS of my HTPC and use the Harmony 650 for the remote. I use XBMC (of course) for all media on my Unraid server and WMC for live TV. The Harmony was pretty easy to setup to use both programs but switching between them was not so intuitive. To solve the problem of essentially closing one program and opening another I use Autohotkey. Here is an example:

After installing Autohotkey and mapping/setting up and windows keyboard as one of my devices on the Harmony I set up the following Autohotkey script to close a program:

Code:
Home::Send Keys !+{f4}

This maps the Home key to close a program.

To open XBMC I use this script mapped to the insert key:

Code:
ins::Run,C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\XBMC.exe

To open WMC I just use the Green Button, MCE remote.

To open Hulu, the ~ button:

Code:
~::Run,C:\Users\Shane\AppData\Local\HuluDesktop\HuluDesktop.exe

I've set up many more as well.

As many know, the Harmony has a small screen that can be used to setup custom buttons. So I just setup up the ~, insert, home, etc. buttons and named them "Close", "Open XBMC", etc. accordingly.

After creating the scripts Autohotkey allows you to compile them into executables that you put into the startup folder to automatically run whenever the computers is booted. After that press the "Close" button and whatever program is open closes. Hit the "Open XBMC" button and, well you guessed it.

Here are pictures of some of the customs buttons I have setup:
Great tips.
Thanks for this.
nice one!

but couldnt you already do that
if you use your Harmony remote in MCE KEYBOARD emulation?
each application you need can have a keyboard shortcut to launch them.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Autohotkey plus Harmony 650 :)0