Help with NFS on Apple TV 1
Hi,

Running XBMC on my Apple TV 1, connecting to a Windows XP PC share using SMB and everything generally runs smoothly. However I'd recently tried to stream some HD video and I experience very stuttery performance (Plays, stutters, plays stutter all the way through).

After researching I read that an NFS share rather than SMB might fix my problem, so I installed NFS for XP and mounted the share in question via NFS in my apple TV (Can see it when I SSH in), can go into directory, see sub directories & files with no issues, so share is mounted.

However, I can't see the share when I actually try to attach it as a source in add video source. The directory just doesn't appear, whichever option I try to browse to it in.

Can anyone help me, either with the NFS portion or even an alternate fix for my stuttering DH video streaming?

I"m fairly tech savy (I work in computer networking), not BASH/LINUX savy but I can have a crack and get there eventually.

Cheers
What version are you running?
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
xbmc 10.1 Git:e9e9099 (compiled mar 9 2011)

That what you were after?

thx
NFS support wasn't added until Sept/October. It's only in the nightlies/your own compiled from git and not in 10.1
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
snaw Wrote:Hi,

Running XBMC on my Apple TV 1, connecting to a Windows XP PC share using SMB and everything generally runs smoothly. However I'd recently tried to stream some HD video and I experience very stuttery performance (Plays, stutters, plays stutter all the way through).

After researching I read that an NFS share rather than SMB might fix my problem, so I installed NFS for XP and mounted the share in question via NFS in my apple TV (Can see it when I SSH in), can go into directory, see sub directories & files with no issues, so share is mounted.

However, I can't see the share when I actually try to attach it as a source in add video source. The directory just doesn't appear, whichever option I try to browse to it in.

Can anyone help me, either with the NFS portion or even an alternate fix for my stuttering DH video streaming?

I"m fairly tech savy (I work in computer networking), not BASH/LINUX savy but I can have a crack and get there eventually.

Cheers

so your problem is more of finding the mountpoint of your nfs share from within xbmc? Or is the mount point there but empty?

mount point is the directory where your mounted nfs stuff is visible via ssh ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thanks guys,

I'll try to update to latest version of XBMC first.

And sort of darkscout, the problem is with the mountpoint within XBMC itself - I've mounted it from /User/frontrow/Remote (Syntax may be slightly off, not at home right out but sub directory under frontrow home directory). I can mount it and see all my files when I SSH, just can't see it when I browse to it from within XBMC itself to try to add it as a source.

I'll try to update first and see what I end up with.
When you update to a nightly you don't need to mount the nfs export in the filesystem anymore. NFS support is integrated into xbmc then - so you can use it like any other protocol from within XBMC (e.x. smb:// or ftp:// - you can do nfs:// then)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Cheers guys.

I tried to update via the apple TV menu downloads>XBMC and it downloads and say's updated, but when I check in XBMC it's still that old version. You mentioned nightlies which I gather are beta releases - should I be installing a nightly versiion to get this working (Was a wee bit concerned when the caveat I started reading talked about crashing my TV).

Thanks for all the help so far, sorry for what is probably an often repeated question - just want to be sure I'm doing the right thing before I race off and mess it up.
Well i think the easiest is to find that damn mountpoint folder from within xbmc - this has to be doable - not sure what bit is missing here (not in front of xbmc atm) ...
OK.

The good news, I updated to the latest nightly and I can see the NFS share.

The bad news (Longer list)

I can't actually see any files in the NFS share (When I navigate to them on console they're all their). Odd.

Even worse news

I tried to stream the HD movie from an SMB share, to see if it worked with the new version, and it all went a bit wrong, got weird sound of playback (Like a very bad phone call) and then when I exited out I lost all sound, including back in the ATV menu. Had to reboot to get my sound back.

One step forward Smile

Tried to switch back to original version, but times out. Ahh well.
snaw Wrote:OK.

The good news, I updated to the latest nightly and I can see the NFS share.

The bad news (Longer list)

I can't actually see any files in the NFS share (When I navigate to them on console they're all their). Odd.

Even worse news

I tried to stream the HD movie from an SMB share, to see if it worked with the new version, and it all went a bit wrong, got weird sound of playback (Like a very bad phone call) and then when I exited out I lost all sound, including back in the ATV menu. Had to reboot to get my sound back.

One step forward Smile

Tried to switch back to original version, but times out. Ahh well.

you add a folder as source ... you won't see files during selecting this folder ... when you have added the source and then enter the source - you should see your files ...
Sorry, should have been clearer - I can add it as an NFS source, and it now appears in my source lists when I go browse to it via XBMC, but the folder appears to be empty in XBMC (I can navigate in SSH(.
If you run the hanewin nfs server on windows you could try with the next nightly ... i've added a fix for this stupid nfs server ...
trying to do a similar thing here but I will just mount the NFS share into some OSX folder. ANyone know IF OSX has a build in NFS client to mount an NFS share?

SO I would just basically log in over ssh and edit some file within OSX to tell it to mount 192.168.0.5:/media/500gb1 /media/500gb1 nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr

Does OSX have an /etc/fstab like Ubuntu does?
mazda01 Wrote:trying to do a similar thing here but I will just mount the NFS share into some OSX folder. ANyone know IF OSX has a build in NFS client to mount an NFS share?

SO I would just basically log in over ssh and edit some file within OSX to tell it to mount 192.168.0.5:/media/500gb1 /media/500gb1 nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr

Does OSX have an /etc/fstab like Ubuntu does?

Hope this helps http://kampmeier.com/chris/blog/?p=43 (assuming you are using snow leopard ...)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help with NFS on Apple TV 10