Secondary XBMC Machine
So I'm looking to replace the netbook xbmc in the bedroom with something that can play up to 1080 videos. Currently the netbook lacks the hardware and HDMI connector to display HD quality videos.

I was thinking of waiting until there was a new Apple TV with the A5 processor but don't know if I can wait that long.

The machine doesn't need to have much hard drive space as all the media will be stored on other machines. I would want it to run Windows and be a very stable machine (possibly capable of hardware upgrades down the road). I was also hoping it would be of a small form factor like the ATV and Acer Revo.

I've heard good things about the Acer Revo but didn't know if the Atom processor was the best to go with. I have nothing to back this up however.

So I thought I'd ask the forum. Anything you all suggest? Thanks in advance!
I'm running a Zotac Z-box HD-ID11 with a 32gb SSD, Win 7 64bit and it rocks. It runs great and plays 1080p Blu Ray rips perfect.
I'm running my XBMC on a 3700 Revo from ebuyer and windows 7, it came with linux but I switched. Its brilliant and handles everything. Ill definitely get another when funds allow. £199 for the revo with 4Gb ram etc. They currently want £229 for the same spec but there prices change though probably not this side of crimbo. My advice get one. Hope this helps
How much do you want to spend because as much as I like the small form factor pc's having got an ION 330 myself for not much more money you could probably build a mini itx around some of the new processors like AMD A-Series or Intels like the i3-2100 those are going to have far more power than any small form factor PC

What sort of hardware upgrades are you after because there's not a lot you can do with the small form factor pc's
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
HP's Pavilion DM1 has HDMI out and will easily do 720p.... 12.1" screen... not sure about 1080p.... quite pricey but it's a decent upgrade for a netbook, bonus is it's portable with 6-8hrs battery life. I doubt that's what you're looking for but it's another idea
baldmosher™
Trying to save his marriage with a HTPC
Current system: TV unit, 37PFL5405H, Microserver N40L (as HTPC), Xbox360, BDP-S370, FoxsatHD, Azur 540Rv2, Keysonic 540RF, Harmony 300
Planned W7x64 AMD mATX (HT)PC build: Case, PSU, RAM, Mobo, CPU Total £240 + IR + HSF? + SSD?
Thanks for the responses!

Regarding upgrades, I was just thinking of making it less of a hit to upgrade and keep the machine going for longer. Nothing in mind at the moment.

I've been researching the smaller Mini or Micro ATX cases. I'm thinking this is how I'm going to end up going. I've got some components left over from the other PC's around the house I think I can get away with something.

Wasnt' really needing to upgrade the netbook and keep portability like a laptop. The wife has a laptop if necessary.

I guess I was just wondering if you all really stood behind the Revo's, ATV's and Zotac's methods.
I have 3 ATV1's for 720p and they work great...
Nothing wrong with the Atom/ION based PCs. . I like them because of the small form factor, low power consumption and usually they just work. But, for upgrades, they can be tough. I would guess though, as a second TV type of thing though, you're not going to be doing much in terms of upgrades.
I have been using an Atom 330 for my main Windows 7 box for the past 6 months and it has been working out like a champ. I have it running Pre-Eden and it is really smooth and I only notice VERY few hiccups in the videos when playback. I also have it running Sab & Sickbeard. It is cheap, quiet, and low power.

I am now in the process of upgrading to the A8-3850 because I want to use Plex to transcode for when I am on the road.
Frank_Castl3 Wrote:Thanks for the responses!

Regarding upgrades, I was just thinking of making it less of a hit to upgrade and keep the machine going for longer. Nothing in mind at the moment.

I've been researching the smaller Mini or Micro ATX cases. I'm thinking this is how I'm going to end up going. I've got some components left over from the other PC's around the house I think I can get away with something.

Wasnt' really needing to upgrade the netbook and keep portability like a laptop. The wife has a laptop if necessary.

I guess I was just wondering if you all really stood behind the Revo's, ATV's and Zotac's methods.

I love my Zotac, but if you have some pc components laying around I would go the mini atx i3 setup. I built one for my MAME arcade cab and it would be perfect to run XBMC. Plus like said before upgrading it would be super simple. Also something to think about with a Zotac or Revo you really need to run a SSD drive to make the interface snappy or at least I had to. I honestly wish I would have went the mini atx core i3 route with my XBMC box for the extra punch.
thanks for your replies... the research has begun on the micro atx case setup.. Going micro instead of mini becuase i can put a wireless network card in and not use a USB adapter.
Since when does Mini Itx not have a pci slot for a wifi card?

Also a suggestion but why run a wifi card, run a ddwrt firmwared linksys wrt54 and use it as a repeater bridge. It will pound on that wifi card plus you can do a lot more with it. I can usually pick up a used router on craigslist for anywhere between 10-20 bucks and you can adjust the antenna power up or down. All you would need to do is plug in the ethernet port of whatever pc you are running.

If you dont like the blue router sitting near your machine, there are also asus wgl versions with usb ports on them they are white small and the size of a cigarette box, and yes you can even plug in a HD and share it on the network.

I know a lot of people do not talk about this but the less wifi signals in your house, the less your brain gets nuked. Before the talkers begin look and Google it yourself, even the manufactures tell you this in those lil manuals we never read. Most clearly state that having a wifi router next to you for periods of time is a health hazard. I know I am going to shake a bunch of you up and I am sure there will be someone that argues the fact. Smile

Enjoy which ever way you go with your project.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Secondary XBMC Machine0