Autostart into XBMC session (instead of last used session)
Hey.

After using XBMC on a KDE box for years now, I decided to give XBMCbuntu a try (for the smaller foot print, more integrated approach etc.)
All good so far, just one annoying thing: XBMCbuntu autostarts in the last used session and not always into XMBC.

This means that if I am closing XBMC to do something on the deskop, then shutdown the box and my wife later starts the box to watch a movie, she will be greeted with a logon prompt and not with the "normal" XBMC. Yes, I know that I could logoff, log into the XBMC session and then shutdown the box from within XBMC, but this workaround would be highly annoying.

I am new to Openbox, but I know that in KDE there was an option to say 'not to save the last session', but instead always start a default session.

How can I do this in XBMCbuntu / Openbox? Is it a matter of the login manager? xinit? A configuration file?

Thanks a lot for your help!
it is a matter of the display manager. You could try adding this line on lightdm.conf
autologin-session=XBMC
It is unclear if it is implemented or not yet. If it does not work you probably have to change the dm to a better one.
Thanks a lot for the hint. Unfortunately, the behaviour is not yet as expected. It still uses the last used session. However, if the last session was XBMCbuntu then it would autologin to that without asking for a password. And if the last session was XBMC, all is good.

As said, my desired behaviour is to always autologin into XBMC session.

This is my lightdm.conf with 'media' being the default username:

[SeatDefaults]
autologin-user=media
autologin-user-timeout=0
autologin-session=XBMC
user-session=XBMC
greeter-session=lightdm-gtk-greeter
allow-guest=false
default-user=media
default-user-timeout=0
pam-service=lightdm-autologinhttp://forum.xbmc.org/newreply.php?tid=131539

In addition, I have added autologin=media to /etc/default/lxdm.conf - just in case...

Any other ideas?
Hi Tarsis,
Did you ever get a response to this or figure out how to always have Ubuntu boot into XBMC?
Unfortunately, I did not get a further reply.

After the initial setup, I hardly logged into XBMCbuntu. So I just let it be.
Hi Taris

This is the configuration I have that always starts in XBMC (but you can "exit" and get the login screen). The info actually comes from here: http://youresuchageek.blogspot.fr/2012/0...linux.html where you can find other optimization tricks for linux.

sudo apt-get install lightdm lightdm-gtk-greeter (to install lightdm)
sudo adduser xbmc video (o the user you have to run XBMC)
sudo adduser xbmc audio

Edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf:

[SeatDefaults]
autologin-user=xbmc
autologin-user-timeout=0
user-session=XBMC
greeter-session=lightdm-gtk-greeter

Check the content of /usr/share/xsessions/XBMC.desktop, should be:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=XBMC
Comment=This session will start XBMC Media Center
Exec=xbmc-standalone
TryExec=xbmc-standalone
Type=Application

EDIT: As mentioned in a similar post, also make sure XBMC user is not required to enter a password, otherwise you'll get the login screen anyways

Hope this helps

Maxi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Autostart into XBMC session (instead of last used session)0