HTPC, NAS or MicroServer
The hacked Russian BIOS is old... I did my own...

Download the latest BIOS from HP... download and open it in AMIBCP BIOS editor.

Navigate to 'Setup Configuration', check '(02E5) Chipset', check '(0353) Southbridge Configuration' and check '0369 SB SATA Configuration'

Save the modified BIOS file and flash the server BIOS.

Now in BIOS you have the extra settings tab to enable AHCI for the ODD and the eSATA ports.
or you use this already modified newest bios version from "The Bay".

I'm doin fine with this bios and The Bay always posts a modified version if new bios version is released...
Morrtin Wrote:Since a long time I have the plan to build a jack of all trades device. I had a plan for the hardware but may change my mind because of the HP Microserver information. But my question would be and which I didn't figure out yet is which software I should use.

The device should not only serve XBMC it should also be able to manage my email, web pages, etc.

As I am not a professional with Linux and therefore I was looking at software like:

http://www.zentyal.org/
or kind of self made with: http://www.zarafa.com

I know it will be a hard work to setup a server with this software but what I don't know is. When I have installed e.g zentyal and it is running. Can I just install xbmc and "start" it and let it run 24/7. So when I turn on my TV and my A/C Receiver and select the HTPC (Server) i would see my XBMC?

If you're a Linux newbie, I strongly suggest going with a distro that is well supported from the community. Some examples are of course Ubuntu, but you could look at CentOS (free port of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, which is quite stable) and Linux Mint (ubuntu derivative).

The idea behind that is to get easy support in the forum distribution, where other people have similar problems. It makes troubleshooting much easier and faster.

For a server, I'd go with CentOS.
baldmosher Wrote:This... sort of... you should be able to run OpenElec as a virtual machine on top of Linux or WHS. That's my plan for experimenting anyway.

Yeah, that's an idea. Though it is far from user friendly Smile
Ok I think I just buy the HP and try it as HTPC if it sucks I use it at a NAS and get a HTPC later.
I dont think I can get a good 2bay+ NAS at that price so.

I think I am going to change the fans but I dont know how easy it is to change the psu fan.

Thanks for the help everyone
I'm in the NAS/HTPC combo camp.

My htpc is also my NAS and I have no issues with speed whatsoever - disks are programmed to spin down so again very good on power consumption
Wich gfx card should I get for the N40L?

I was thinking about any HD6450 or a GT 520.
But should I get a passive or active card?
The space in the case seems really small and I dont want the card to overheat.
TeKo Wrote:Wich gfx card should I get for the N40L?

Depends on OS

Nvidia for Linux
ATI/Nvidia for Windows
What are the problems with ATI and Linux?
TeKo Wrote:What are the problems with ATI and Linux?

driver drivers drivers
Could be worth hanging on a while... Turion II Neo N54L possibly round the corner...

http://www.wegotserved.com/2011/12/21/hp...NEWSLETTER
Oh ok I always thought AMD/ATI had good Linux drivers.

But the gt 520 also has 7.1 sound right?
TeKo Wrote:Wich gfx card should I get for the N40L?

I have recently purchased a HP N40L and want to know which graphics card I should be using. I have read somewhere that the PCI-e slot can't take more than 25W power usage but the card specs don't seem to show this figure. I would prefer a passive cooler and I am running Windows 2008 R2 as the OS. I will be running XBMC. Any gentle advice to a newbie is most welcome.
Thanks
AJ
ajfish Wrote:I have recently purchased a HP N40L and want to know which graphics card I should be using. I have read somewhere that the PCI-e slot can't take more than 25W power usage but the card specs don't seem to show this figure. I would prefer a passive cooler and I am running Windows 2008 R2 as the OS. I will be running XBMC. Any gentle advice to a newbie is most welcome.
Thanks
AJ

take a look here

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC, NAS or MicroServer0