Home Theater system to use with HTPC running XBMC?
I never owned a Home Theater system and don't know much about this topic.

Since I am using my HTPC (which runs XBMC) for most of my movie/TV watching experience, I am concerned about how will Home Theater system work and integrate with my HTPC.

Would I just connect HDMI output from HTPC to AVR for all audio and video from HTPC will be handled by AVR?

Or since I have HTPC would I even need AVR?

If I will need AVR, should I buy Speakers and AVR separately?
Or should I get one of those bundled systems like Onkyo HT-S5400?
Yea just connect your HTPC to the AVR.
You can use your HTPC like you do now.

What to buy depends on your budget, your room and the stuff you already got.
The best way to go for simplicity sake and for future proofing is to use an AV receiver that recieves digital audio out of HDMI, preferably the full range of 3D audio DTS-encoding formats. I'm pretty sure that Onkyo system does that.

Right now utilising some the hi-def DTS sound formats on newer bluray discs involves workarounds with XBMC.

There is a huge range of opinions in terms opinions about how audiophile you want to go, I'm sure, but the main thing is not to buy a new reciever that doesn't support the newest range of Dolby and DTS-audio encoding formats at this point. Beyond that high-end, low-end is a matter of taste.

My library is all 5.1 files and I have an older pre-HDMI AVR that I use optical to feed a digital pass through to for audio. But I would never buy a new system that only did that today.
Acer Revo 3610 w/ Ubuntu 10.10, Giada Cube Win 7, 2 ATV 1's one w Crystal HD card, UnRaid server w/ SAB/SickBeard/Couch Potato/Transmission, MacBook Pro, Hackintosh Dell Mini 10v
My room is about 12 feet by 17 feet. Can it handle 7.1 system? (or is it practical)?

Does anyone have any recommendations on HT systems, speakers or AVRs?
Well if you already have an HTPC you probably don't need a "network" receiver just to access internet radio. That seems to be popular new "extra" on recent models you can do without.
Acer Revo 3610 w/ Ubuntu 10.10, Giada Cube Win 7, 2 ATV 1's one w Crystal HD card, UnRaid server w/ SAB/SickBeard/Couch Potato/Transmission, MacBook Pro, Hackintosh Dell Mini 10v
Popular opinion seems to be that if your sitting space is less than 3' from the back wall you won't have an audio advantage from 7.1 but if you have more than that you will hear a difference in terms of atmospheric audio seeming more "immersive".
kdar Wrote:Does anyone have any recommendations on HT systems, speakers or AVRs?

i recommend you ask user named bluray Tongue

but u can create your on Home Theater at WalMart for pretty cheap
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-Home-Thea..../13045152
Well, I been looking at some AVRs and seems like most of them are at 300-500 usd price range... which is in my budget. I am just not sure which AVR is better buy, especially in terms of sound quality.

I saw a Onkyo HT-RC360 on Frys for about $288 (acrually from one of the posts by bluray Smile ).... And it could be a good option, a good deal, at least... But I am not sure what is difference between Onkyo HT and TX NR models, for example TX NR609.

I was also looking up reviews on some recent AVRs like Denon AVR-1912, Yamaha RX-V671, Pioneer VSX-1020-K, ONKYO TX NR709 and others.. they seem more on the pricier side, but not closed from my considerations. Only thing that I saw with them is that they seem to try to push AirPlay for iPod and other Apple products. And for me, it doesn't seem like something I would really need, even that I have an iPod.

However, on several reviews, I saw like Denon had more positive reviews about it's sound quality.

I am also probably will end up buying AVR and Speakers separately, that were I am leaning right now, I think.
Denon AVR-1912 or Onkyo TX-NR509
+ speakers.
I like that set:
http://www.amazon.com/Jamo-S606HCS3-S-60...905&sr=8-1
(5.0 so you need a Sub)
I dont think you can find anything better in that price range.
Nice looking speakers, but sadly, I can not use front tower speakers, there will be not enough space in my room for them. I have two shelves and between then I have a tv. However, I have future plans to upgrade my tv to sharp aquos 70, which will leave like 0.5-1 inch between TV and shelf.

So my only option is to use shelf speakers.
I decided to get MartinLogan MLT-1 5.1CH speakers with subwoofer and ONKYO TX-NR709. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Home Theater system to use with HTPC running XBMC?0