[ATV2] stuck on "Waiting for network time"
Hello

Not XBMC related but there are so much expertise here I am willing to give it a go!

My ATV2 is JB and running XBMC Eden 11.0 Beta. It get stuck at "Waiting for network time" when started. I can press "Menu" button but then my time is set to 1970...

I try to find information about this. Everywhere it says that the time settings must be correct. I have set the time zone and it gets the time in a correct manner. But now it waits for a very long time before it times out or finds the time server.

Must I sync the time every time i start my ATV?
Or can I tell the ATV to not bother?
Or can it get the time from within my network?
Must the time come from apples time serverHuh

Anyone else has this problem?
/Jens
------------------------------------
Windows 10
Kodi 16/17
Quote:Not XBMC related

Erm, we're not too big on that, since it's easy to turn into the iOS/ATV2/Jailbreak question central here. However, doesn't XBMC set time based on the ATV2's time? If so, then your problem is XBMC related.
If I remember correctly, that error is related to not being able to make a network connection to get the time. You might want to check your network settings are as they should be. I got when I changed the WiFi password on my router and forgot to update the ATV2 settings.
Probably something to do with looking for an NTP server to sync off but failing...

Anyway I had the same thing but just restarted by ATV and it didn't do it the next time.
I had similar issues while running my ATV's without an Internet connection. If you don't use a remote app like XBMC Commander, it is only a minor issue. If you are, you will find the JSON requests will fail with an odd network error. To fix this I set up an NTP server on my fileserver and simply changed the entry in /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/NTP.conf to list the ip of my NTP server rather than time.apple.com.

If you do have an Internet connection, then try rebooting (hold Menu + Down arrow until light flashes quickly), as sometimes it has trouble talking to time.apple.com, especially if your Internet connection is slower.
Sorry for reactivating a (really) old thread, but changing the /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/ntp.conf file didn't work for me (with my ATV2 on OS 5.3). Looking in the /var/log/syslog file, the "timed" service still try connecting to time.apple.com instead of my local server defined in the ntp.conf file.

What *did* work though, is changing the good old /etc/hosts file to hardcode the IP of time.apple.com to my local NTP server (on Ubuntu). :)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV2] stuck on "Waiting for network time"0