[ATV2] mounting external drive on ATV2 via network?
Dear all,

Just installed Eden Beta1 on ATV2 and it's working fine so far. I see that there is a /etc/fstab file on the ATV2, so is it possible to [cifs] mount a volume from Time Capsule? Cheers!!
MINIX NEO U22-XJ | Denon AVC-X3800H | KEF Q750 | KEF Q250c | KEF Q150 | KEF Q50a | KEF Kube 10 MIE | LG OLED65G16LA | CoreELEC
no.
Although, a hfs mount appears to be possible but again that involves another Mac to be running to host the files; too bad!!

Anyone ever tried NFS mount from TC or does it work at all? Cheers!!
MINIX NEO U22-XJ | Denon AVC-X3800H | KEF Q750 | KEF Q250c | KEF Q150 | KEF Q50a | KEF Kube 10 MIE | LG OLED65G16LA | CoreELEC
let me be explicit, you cannot mount any remote share into the atv2 filesystem as there is no driver support for it and even if you made a driver to support it, you cannot load kexts.
Hi davilla,

Yes, I just found your another post regarding similar matter. I misled myself seeing "/System/Library/Filesystems/hfs.fs/..." on the ATV.

My question about NFS and TC wasn't really for ATV. It's a general question really. What I wanted to know if it possible at all to add a share from TC as "a source" to XBMC using NFS (instead of smb)? Looks like "not" (??).

Is it "samba" the only to use TC with XBMC on ATV? Cheers!!
MacUsers Wrote:Hi davilla,

Yes, I just found your another post regarding similar matter. I misled myself seeing "/System/Library/Filesystems/hfs.fs/..." on the ATV.

My question about NFS and TC wasn't really for ATV. It's a general question really. What I wanted to know if it possible at all to add a share from TC as "a source" to XBMC using NFS (instead of smb)? Looks like "not" (??).

Is it "samba" the only to use TC with XBMC on ATV? Cheers!!

Time Capsule will only do AFP and SMB/SAMBA.
Ned Scott Wrote:Time Capsule will only do AFP and SMB/SAMBA.
Is afp an option for XBMC at all? Cheers!!
fond it: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=884175&postcount=1
and it's working. I should have searched better. cheers!!
So why are MAC users finding this a headache? I guess it's not like Windows where you share a folder (in Windows) and ATV2 / XBMC can just connect to that network share?
mealto Wrote:So why are MAC users finding this a headache?
I don't what exactly you mean but remote file-system is always a headache Confused
The ideal way, IMO, of doing is: Let the OS to mount the share (NFS/AFP/CIFS etc.) and then define that mounted directory as "source" in the XBMC, just like a local file-system.

BTW, is anyone else using XBMC's afp-client? I find XBMC is struggling to build the library when the source is a afp share and eventually it's being crashed. Does anyone out here have some input on this? cheers!!
I have my ATV2 connected via wired ethernet and a router to an old aluminium 12" Powerbook G4, which in turn has several USB hard drives connected. These drives hold my Movies and TV shows. I have used Zeroconfig to set up these sources via AFP. Everything works fine - scraping and playing without problem. The only issue occurs when the drives are asleep. If I navigate to a film/TV show in XBMC and play, the ATV2 will reliably crash back to lowtide while waiting for the drives to spin up. Restarting XBMC, and repeating gets me to a working film. Its a wee bit annoying, but if I mount the disks first using my laptop, XBMC will launch the films without falling over. The Powerbook is running Leopard btw. Smile
I should add, the ATV@ is on the lated Eden Beta 1, and the latest 4.4.4 iOS via Seas0nPass 8.0...
hi donut4000,

How do you use Zeroconfig? I simply used the source.xml to configure the source tree. I see, I can't build (or play) the library at all, especially for the Music. Cheers!!
donut4000 Wrote:I should add, the ATV@ is on the lated Eden Beta 1, and the latest 4.4.4 iOS via Seas0nPass 8.0...

Please post crashreporter, syslog and xbmc.log when it crashs. Be sure to turn debugging on beforehand (Settings->System->Debug).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
MacUser & Memphis: I'm at my folks at the moment clearing storm damage, so I'll give you logs and setup details when get back. That's most likely to be the start of next week, so if you don't mind waiting till then, I'll fill your boots with info then : )

Dunc

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV2] mounting external drive on ATV2 via network?0