Windows 8 new feature "Storage Spaces". Goodbye Unraid!
More interesting content from the co-authour Rajeev (Microsoft) from the Storage Space comments:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/...iency.aspx

@branM and @David Gešvindr – Windows 8 server includes data deduplication which also utilizes Storage Spaces based redundancy

@Gigaplex – yes, you can easily have an email notification sent to you. We will provide guidance on this

@sean.e – stay tuned for information on Windows 8 support to protect data from loss. You can use spaces as the destination for your backup copies. Large media files are typically sequentially written and read – mirrored spaces perform very well on such workloads. Drive within a pool can spin down independently.
I was on the verge of pulling the trigger on a Norco 4020 case and starting to fill it up. I think I will hold out for Windows 8 though (will wait until released, not beta). There is no maximum number of drives that it can take (unlike unRAID maxing out at 20). I only wish it would have the windows home server like backup features as well. Perhaps there will be a WHS 2012?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 8 new feature "Storage Spaces". Goodbye Unraid!0